Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Freezing Vegies
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 30, 2012 02:52AM

I was wondering what vegies can be frozen. When I'm home from my OP, I doubt if I'll be able to walk to the supermarket for food. I'm not able to drive for six weeks, so is it possible to freeze my vegie salads???

I'll appreciate any input about this,

Cheers, Jalan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freezing Vegies
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 30, 2012 11:46AM

Yes, you can, but texture will suffer after several weeks, and moisture content. Anything delicate will not keep, which is why frozen spinach is barely edible, LOL! Harder veg do OK. The freezing of vegetables is done commercially to preserve them before eventual cooking, whereupon texture and flavor aren't expected to be identical to those of the vegetable's raw state.

Is it possible for a neighbor or a friend to buy fresh produce for you a couple of times a week and wash it for you? I do hope you figure out some system that works.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 30, 2012 03:05PM

you can freeze green smoothie! or you can freeze any ingredients that will go into blender, as texture won't matter after being blended!

Date: May 31, 2012 05:28PM

Thx heaps guys, and I do know that flavour will suffer but I was thinking of freezing fully prepared raw meals. Also, I’ve a spare bar fridge in the garage that I can use, and even though the freezer section is small, it’s still better than nothing.

I need to store meals for around 4 weeks, and I cannot drive for 6 weeks. Even though I’d probably be able to drive after a week, if I have an accident, any insurance claim will be void, and I would be personally lumbered with all costs.

These are some of the vegies that I would be freezing;

Spinach / Capsicum / mushies / avocado / Corn / Tomato / Olives / Lettuce / Chick Peas / Lentils / Carrot / Button Squash / zucchini / Garlic / Cabbage.

Would any of these not freeze well?

Cheers, jalan

Date: May 31, 2012 05:31PM

Oh, would it be better to freeze each veg separately, or all together in a prepared frozen meal?

I thought that perhaps some vegies won't freeze well, or will decay at a different rate than others.

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:35PM

Spinach, mushrooms, cabbage could be a problem due to the high water content; mushrooms, especially, don't tolerate freezing and thawing. Combining them with other foods will help, but I'd do dishes that aren't super high in moisture, unless it's juice(obviously), because this would discourage ice crystalization. Good luck!

Date: June 01, 2012 12:14AM

Thx Tam, that advice re the moisture content of some vegies, such as mushies you mentioned, is a good rule of thumb.

Actually, I think that I might rely on some friends to keep me in good supply of food, rather than to fill both fridges with frozen/fresh food.

I'm a fairly independent private person, and I don't have myriads of friends, though the friends I do have are true friends indeed. And I don't want to put anyone out too much either, as they are already driving me into the hospital and also picking me up after my hospital stay (over an hour each way). However, I can see that I might have a little trouble when home, particularly during the first week or two. Therefore, I've decided to rely on my friends a little more than I would normally.

I don't know why, but I find it difficult to ask for help, even from people who I've known for decades. Beats me, but I'm working on it.

Cheers, jalan smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables