Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cold sores, ICK!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 01, 2012 05:19PM

Does anyone have any experience with natural remedies for cold sores? I'm having a nasty attack. I think they're here because I'm working completely stupid overtime hours... and I only had them ONE other time in my life, YEARS ago... when I was working completely stupid overtime hours. -.-

I SHOULD have been using black tea bags as a compress every few hours at the first signs of symptoms, but I doubted they were cold sores. -.-

I also read studies where lemon balm (Melissa Officinalis) cut the healing time in half (5 days vs. 10) in a German study, so I've been diluting the essential oil in some aloe vera and swabbing it on.

Has anyone tried lysine, is it worth picking some up? Any other bright ideas?

I'm also not keen to the idea of caking makeup all over them, but I do have a very social job, so I'm wondering if I should grab some mineral-edible-coverup-stuff or not.

ARGH!!! Haha. Thoughts appreciated!! Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cold sores, ICK!
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 01, 2012 05:25PM

L-Lysine is one of the most effective treatments for cold sores/herpes virus.

Chaga is a very potent anti-viral mushroom which is also good.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 05:26PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 01, 2012 06:07PM

I was taking a supplement for a while that I mistakenly thought used vegan capsules. I kept getting cold sores, did some research on it and found out that gelatin is linked to outbreaks. When I double-checked my supplements, I found the gelcap culprit, eliminated it, and have been fine ever since.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 01, 2012 11:03PM

Lysine works. Also, believe it or not, rubbing an ice cube on the affected area, even after the first signs appear. Do it as long as your skin can stand it, and often.

Posted by: helovesyou ()
Date: June 02, 2012 05:37AM

I was just going to suggest the same thing as the other two posters. I had one yesterday and I took a couple tablets of L-Lysine and within hours it was much better. I took two more later that evening and it's almost gone. A fellow co-worker told me about it back in the early part of the year when I had one. Hope it heals soon for you.

-Karen

Date: June 02, 2012 09:56PM

Eating lysine supplements is definitely where the money is at, it's pretty impressive. THANK YOU!

There are some nice ones out there that are herbs-only. smiling smiley

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 03, 2012 02:52AM

Herpes simplex (cold sore) is best treated with 'lysine', as has been mentioned repeatedly. Also, I remember some sort of med that eases the pain of a full blown outbreak, though it's name escapes me at present.

While supplementation is ok (if in fact it's absorbable), what I'd suggest, is to include in our diet, foods high in lysine as a preventative rather than a treatment. Unfortunately, aninmal products top the list with milk derivatives, such as yoghurt, cheese etc. However, most fruit and vegies also contain lysine, and a raw vegan diet does contain an abundance of fruit and veg.

Therefore, I don't understand why we should be getting them at all??? I can't remember the last time when I had a cold sore; although, I do think it was during the time I was transitioning to raw vegan. So, was it detox or just a very strong virus???

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: June 03, 2012 04:14AM

Is there a natural non supplements way to solve this problem

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 03, 2012 05:00AM

I gotta second the ice cube method every time ive felt an cold sore coming on I'd freeze it and it never got any worse smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 03, 2012 05:04AM

Jaluntan. Ten years ago I had an out break of shingles all over my back that's when I went from sad to raw vegan the first time ever. I don't really attribute it to detox per se but maybe it was. Shingles is another form of the herpes virus. As is chicken pox I believe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 03, 2012 06:54AM

I got them ONCE when I was under an insanely extreme amount of stress. It was emotional, it was anger, just exploding literally out of my face.

Never had them again...

Until this week... tomorrow my work week will clock in around 85 hours. If you can't get basics like rest even with a raw food diet, it will run the body down.

It was a weird week. Anyway. I get some time off soon. smiling smiley

Also, cashews are loaded with arginine, which inhibits lysine. Odd, however, as I haven't eaten cashews in FOREVER.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 07:00AM by phantom.

Date: June 03, 2012 07:12AM

Oh Jodi, I knew of a guy who had shingles all over his back and front. He said it was very painful, so I feel for you having had that. Yes, it could be detox, or just a consequence of the sad diet. However, I've heard a lot of people going through a lot of various discomforts when changing to raw vegan, or even when fasting. No pain, no gain hey!

That's interesting what you said Phantom, about cashews inhibiting lysine uptake. Maybe that's why I got a cold sore when changing to raw vegan, since I just couldn't get enough of them at the time.

Date: June 03, 2012 11:26AM

I used to have cold sores in my mouth, tongue and lips, then I realized that it was due to my eating habits, too many fruits all day long and not cleaning my mouth, when I changed that habit, the problem was solved. I also do mouth massage with my fingers, that help a lot. For many, raw veggies and fruits are good for the body and they constantly eat, which is a problem, the mouth is constantly loaded with bacteria. Give your mouth a rest.

Date: June 03, 2012 12:42PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a natural non supplements way to solve
> this problem

Eat more l-lysine rich foods rather than l-arginine is a good start if you don't wish to supplement.

Eating a diet rich in nutrients to help support the immune system is a good idea. Vegan diets have a tendency to be low in minerals such as Zinc and Selenium which are essential for proper immune system function. Even if you are managing to get achieve the RDA for Zinc you might be taking in about 8 times the Copper which can inhibit immune system function by causing low Zinc levels.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 03, 2012 04:50PM

God, a person would have to be a chemist to know all the ins and outs of food nutrients. I think this is where we let our body do the math, and let it tell us when we need a certain food due to a particular nutrient content.

jalan

Date: June 03, 2012 06:05PM

These are individual concerns for some but worth knowing about, the zinc/copper issue is mostly of concern to those with adrenal fatigue, chronic stress and heavy metal poisoning issues which can include copper accumulation.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 06:05PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: June 03, 2012 07:48PM

Dry fast 24-48 at the onset and that should stop any growth in its tracks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 03, 2012 08:19PM

That will not work for my 11 year old, lol.

We avoid the "bad" foods for him if he's having a break out and take an l-lysine supplement.

Date: June 04, 2012 05:39AM

Powerlifter, point taken mate. I guess if someone has a certain problem, such as you have explained, of course it's beneficial to learn about it so as to help heal etc.

Cheers, jalan smiling smiley

Date: June 04, 2012 07:44AM

Sores from eating too much fruits are more likely canker sores, not cold sores. I'd trade these bad boys for canker sores any day. angry smiley Cold sores are literally from the HERPES virus (oral variety) resting in the spine, I believe, and they travel out to the mouth when the immune system is compromised (stress, sickness, lack of sleep).

The lysine is helping SO MUCH! The first time I had them, they lasted 3-4 weeks (which is apparently normal healing duration). After a day of taking lysine (topically and orally), the redness and swelling went away and they dried up. Still there, but quickly making an exit.

YESSSSSS!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2012 05:58PM

Whoa, 3-4 weeks? I've never seen one last that long and my whole family breaks out in them. A few days MAX even without lysine. I am also infected which is why my son gets them, I passed it along to my babies :'( but I am asymptomatic, I have had only one break out in my life, last year, when I was really weakened from stress. It's a crazy virus, just crazy. More people have it than not too I've read, even more than the stats show as many are asymptomatic like me.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:49PM

some nasty mean little annoyances.

i get them sometimes when i eat alot of pinapples or citrus.

once in awhile my toothbrush slips and bangs down onto my gums and most oftenly i get one when that happens too. in fact i have got one right now so i am empathetic with anyone with ulcer sores in the mouth.

anyways without furthur ado i would like to turn you on to what works for me. and i mean it works Great and they are gone within a few days..it also kills the pain while they are going away if you do it right.

the stuff is called Zilactin B...its sounds like a nasty pharma drug but its not...its just a thick dark brown liquid and you sqirt a small "pearl" of it onto a q-tip swab and dab it all around and onto the sore...use a couple of drops just to be sure.

it will stop the pain instantly and create a water proof "bandage like" covering which will seal the canker off from the mouth irritations which prolong the "not-healing quickly enough" nature of these painful irritating little sores. works on the togue too.

you will also be able to enjoy your raw food diet without painful reminders of the cankers....... smiley with no wink.

here it is:

[www.amazon.com]

juicin' john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 11:55PM by juicin' john.

Date: June 19, 2012 01:24AM

Coco, mine used to last at least a week or two. You are blessed to only get them for a few days.

Another good remedy is stuff called 'Bonjela'. You get it over the counter at the drug store. It numbs the effected area and also seals it from air.

There's another med that I've used in the distant past that you apply immediately you detect a cold sore. It sure works, and stops the thing in it's tracks. But...I wouldn't use it ever again, since it had a nasty taste and a highly medical/chemical name.

Natural remedies are always best for you, and I'm definately going to try the ice cube trick.

Date: June 26, 2012 02:55AM

It is all about not having enough sleep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables