Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Why Are Twinkies Cheaper Than Carrots?"
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 05, 2012 01:38AM

Check out this article, "Why Are Twinkies Cheaper Than Carrots" and consider contacting your congressional reps:
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

It's the same old info you know, that <1% of subsidies go to fruits and vegetables, but maybe others are beginning to wake up.

My favorite raw vegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Why Are Twinkies Cheaper Than Carrots?"
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 05, 2012 01:49AM

It's because Twinkies are made of nothing. And nothing is abundant and cheap.

I write my Congressperson every time the latest farm bill rolls out. I'm Sisyphus over here.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 05, 2012 02:22AM

Recent study shows that high-fructose corn syrup makes lab rats stupid. Maybe someone wants us to be stupid too?

[www.minyanville.com]

Twinkie ingredients:

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.

Date: June 05, 2012 02:25AM

Raw carrots are the #1 brain food according to this list. You need to scroll down a bit to see it: [www.onlinecolleges.net]

Date: June 05, 2012 02:26AM

Bleah.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 05, 2012 02:26AM

That is truly fascinating, HH. The trained cook in me is wondering how they came up with this recipe.

"No, Feeney, I'd say it needs a bit more tallow and a bit less cellulose gum . . ."

Date: June 05, 2012 08:52AM

HH, My "Bleah" comment was directed to the ingredients of Twinkies. I really like the list on the www.onlinecolleges.net site you gave. Thanks.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: June 05, 2012 04:00PM

Oh I know. No worries. You've always been nice to me. smiling smiley I was just trying to share one aspect of my spin.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 05, 2012 04:19PM

Ugh, these LIES yet again?

How much do Twinkies cost these days, hmmm? At least $1 and most likely more than that.

I can walk down the street and buy a POUND of ORGANIC carrots for .89!

The store, also known by some as "Whole Paycheck" sells loose organic carrots for .99 a pound. That means I could get one of their organic bananas and several organic carrots for the same price as a dead-on-arrival-nuke-holocaust-survivor Twinkie.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 05, 2012 04:25PM

Theres more demand for twinkies,thats why they are cheaper.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 05, 2012 04:32PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dead-on-arrival-nuke-holocaust-survivor Twinkie

This makes me almost want to visit US to try one.......hmmm maybe not! smiling smiley

So far as ingredients are concerned, in UK there is noticeable improvement over the past 10 years or so - the ingredients have become better overall. I'm talking generally, we also have plenty of bars with notorious "E's" and all, but overall, its getting better.

And I was thinking why? I think most likely because of the demand. More and more people take the trouble to look at the ingredients list, and refuse to buy products with too many nasties in them.

Perhaps next step will be manufacturers paying more attention to the way food is prepared too (such as more fresh stuff in ready-meal sections, less fired and baked, etc). Tesco and Sainsburys stock a few selections of RAW stuff even now, such as Naked pecan bars yumgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 04:35PM by chat.

Date: June 05, 2012 04:35PM

BW-

It depends on where you live. Not every can get a pound of organic carrots for that price. I know I can't. When looking at something like this, I tend to examine calorie to cost differences. One Twinkie has 150 calories. One ounce of carrot has 11 calories which = 166 calories per pound. I'd guess that Twinkies cost the same where I live as they do in your neck of the woods, yet I know for a fact that carrots cost a bit more.

It's hardly a lie so much as it's a case of different people living in different economic realities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 04:35PM by HH.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 05, 2012 04:40PM

eaglefly Wrote:
> Theres more demand for twinkies,thats why they are
> cheaper.

Surely not eaglefly ?, although i did have a similar thought when i first seen the title of the thread myself. Then i pondered that carrots are one of the most basic vegetables and probably most consumed other than the potato if we are counting it as a vegetable.

We don't get twinkies in the UK as far as i know, they look pretty brutal though lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 04:42PM by powerlifer.

Date: June 05, 2012 04:48PM

I don't believe it. Carrots are a pretty ubiquitous veg that even SAD eaters will use in soups and stews. Hostess (the Twinkie maker) filed for bankruptcy at the beginning of this year.

eaglefly Wrote:
> Theres more demand for twinkies,thats why they are
> cheaper.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 05, 2012 05:37PM

HH, I should not have mentioned ORGANIC. I was thinking of Trader Joe's, which has several city (Chicago) locations that are walkable from lower-income 'hoods.

But let's just take conventional carrots. Our local "Jewel's" (supposed to call it Jewel winking smiley ) has them for around .49 a pound. Carrots are cheap as dirt.

Another reason I am being so strident about this issue: someone already posted this on here recently. We've already been thru this debate. People on the lower-income side of things will go to Mickey D's and spend a few bucks on a breakfast sandwich and again, how much is a banana? I bought one yesterday at Dunkin' Donuts for .59! Even Whole Foods sells the conventional ones for .79 a pound. So how many bananas make up a pound? 2 or 3. Add an orange or apple and it's at the most $1.25.

The thing I don't like is to keep repeating the meme that it is unaffordable to eat well. I go to Aldi's regularly and make a beeline for the produce section. The very people who have the same opportunities to eat fresh produce at very good prices (I bought a pound of lemons for .89, a pound of tomatoes for .99 and two avocados @ .89 each yesterday) fill their carts with dead flesh (which is much more expensive than produce, even at Aldi's, I am sure!), boxes and cans.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 05, 2012 05:38PM

It could be worse. Some places sell fried twinkies on a stick

Date: June 05, 2012 05:54PM

Date: June 05, 2012 06:32PM

Panchito Wrote:
> [www.google.com]

I can feel the diabetes already lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 05, 2012 06:40PM

Yeah but if you spend $1.50 on a garbage breakfast sandwich and the same amount on bananas, you're going to get more calories from the breakfast sandwich. Therefore, the breakfast sandwich is cheaper until you have to go to the doctor and pay him/her to not fix the issues that arose from eating the breakfast sandwich. That's all I'm saying. However, with knowledge, time, and planning a healthy diet can be had for the same amount or even a little cheaper than a junk diet. I agree!

Topics are going to be repetitive in a revolving door forum. That's one of the draw-backs of the crusade. Once you've pounded your beliefs into one skull, another one comes along that needs education. smiling smiley Stick with it! All of you guys who go about this in a cool, committed way are like super-heroes to me.

banana who Wrote:
> HH, I should not have mentioned ORGANIC. I was
> thinking of Trader Joe's, which has several city
> (Chicago) locations that are walkable from
> lower-income 'hoods.
>
> But let's just take conventional carrots. Our
> local "Jewel's" (supposed to call it Jewel winking smiley )
> has them for around .49 a pound. Carrots are cheap
> as dirt.
>
> Another reason I am being so strident about this
> issue: someone already posted this on here
> recently. We've already been thru this debate.
> People on the lower-income side of things will go
> to Mickey D's and spend a few bucks on a breakfast
> sandwich and again, how much is a banana? I bought
> one yesterday at Dunkin' Donuts for .59! Even
> Whole Foods sells the conventional ones for .79 a
> pound. So how many bananas make up a pound? 2 or
> 3. Add an orange or apple and it's at the most
> $1.25.
>
> The thing I don't like is to keep repeating the
> meme that it is unaffordable to eat well. I go to
> Aldi's regularly and make a beeline for the
> produce section. The very people who have the same
> opportunities to eat fresh produce at very good
> prices (I bought a pound of lemons for .89, a
> pound of tomatoes for .99 and two avocados @ .89
> each yesterday) fill their carts with dead flesh
> (which is much more expensive than produce, even
> at Aldi's, I am sure!), boxes and cans.

Date: June 05, 2012 07:17PM

A Twinkies based diet:

BREAKFAST: twinkies on the go and a cup of Joe

(snacks)

LUNCH: To lose weight, a light and small hot dog with fried chips and a diet coke.

(snacks)

DINNER: To compensate for a hard day, a nice double Wopper with fries and a diet coke.

(TV snacks)

REPEAT adding more meat and chips

The Government owes you for the free medication of your healthcare. You qualify for a new scooter (need the paperwork; available XXXL with gold coils heavy duty motor)

[www.thescooterstore.com]

Date: June 05, 2012 10:28PM

HH Wrote:
> Topics are going to be repetitive in a revolving
> door forum. That's one of the draw-backs of the
> crusade. Once you've pounded your beliefs into one
> skull, another one comes along that needs
> education. smiling smiley Stick with it! All of you guys who
> go about this in a cool, committed way are like
> super-heroes to me.

This is sooo true, and you've said it perfectly - I'm saving your quotesmiling smiley

Posted by: red dragon ()
Date: June 05, 2012 10:44PM

chat Wrote:

Tesco and Sainsburys
> stock a few selections of RAW stuff even now, such
> as Naked pecan bars yumgrinning smiley

Hey Chat, Wales calling!

Just wanted to thank you for this info, I always ignored naked bars because in my cynical mind I assumed they were dodgy because they were in a packet. I've done some research and by golly you're right they are raw (well as raw as anything in a convenient packet is going to be anyway!) Going past Sainsburys tomorrow so I will darn well get one :-)

However my cynical gremlin rears its head again...

I looked up the ingredients in more detail, and noticed 'natural flavouring' in them, which I suspect means MSG, what do you think?? (they do advertise them as being 'addictive.' Hmmm suspicious...)

Love,

Killjoy!! ;-)

Date: June 05, 2012 10:46PM

Them nakd raw bars are great, i like the cashew cookie one the best. It is most cookie dough like out of them all.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 10:46PM by powerlifer.

Date: June 05, 2012 10:57PM

Hey red dragon!smiling smiley Definitely not all Naked are raw - I think its only Cashew cookie, Pecan pie and Ginger bread which don't contain flavouring. These are the three I buy. On their website they list nutrition info and explain what they mean by 'raw': [www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk]

I suspect cashews in Cashew cookies may not be raw (or they may be who knows???), oh well, they are tasty all the same!grinning smiley

Tesco recently had a smashing sale on Naked bars, buy two get third free, which made it 50p per bar the cheapest price I've seen on them online and not! So keep an eye on promotions, I usually check the supermarkets online every now and then, for organic stuff etc.

smiling smiley

Date: June 05, 2012 11:14PM

Thank you for further info! I am looking forward to trying them tomorrow, hope they have those ones in stock.

Helen

Date: June 05, 2012 11:19PM

They are moreish lol, naked were very kind to send me a few free bars to review on my blog.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 05, 2012 11:39PM

Hey powerlifer, just had a peek at your website, wow you've written quite a few articles and reviews! I've bookmarked the page so I will read them over time. You lucky thing having lots of samples! Way to go powerlifer! Think I will be dreaming about nakd bars tonight.

Date: June 06, 2012 10:29AM

red dragon Wrote:
> Hey powerlifer, just had a peek at your website,
> wow you've written quite a few articles and
> reviews! I've bookmarked the page so I will read
> them over time. You lucky thing having lots of
> samples! Way to go powerlifer! Think I will be
> dreaming about nakd bars tonight.

Thanks Red Dragon smiling smiley, unfortunatly the rest ive bought, nakd must have found my review from a google search and kindly emailed me to review some of their other bars which was pretty cool.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables