Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sleep
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2006 03:19AM

Can someone please explain how someone on a raw diet need less sleep than someone who eats cooked foods. Also, how much sleep does a raw person need? This subject really facinates me + if it's true I would go raw in a second simply for that reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sleep
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2006 04:21AM

Also, exactly how much sleep does a person on a raw diet need?

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 20, 2006 04:25AM

As much as you want. Everybody's different, etc., etc.. winking smiley

Ian.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 20, 2006 04:45AM

Since going raw I've noticed that I can fall asleep more easily... usually within about 10 minutes. This could be from being raw, or maybe because I'm getting older (24).

But, I think I still sleep for the same amount of time.

I get about 6-7 hours a night on weekdays, and 8-10 hours a night on weekends, sometimes more.

I could be saving time though, because I never have to lie there for an hour before falling asleep.

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: October 20, 2006 05:03AM

I'm on day 18 of my juice fast. The first 5 days I noticed I needed sleep and would fall asleep by 10pm which is very unlike me. Since then, I've been getting by very easily on 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't use an alarm clock - I simply wake up very easily.

~raine~

Posted by: VeloriaRaw ()
Date: October 20, 2006 08:28PM

Not raw, I liked to have about 9-10 hours of sleep, even with naps during the day. I got sugar highs and lows. My sleeping pattern was very all over the place.

When transitioning from SAD to RAW, you have to give yourself time to adjust. I found that I actually needed MORE sleep when I switched to RAW. Last time I made the transition, it took me about 2 weeks of being tired to adjust to the light foods and low calories.

So for 2 weeks, my exercise was WEAK and I took mid-day naps and was tired a lot.

After that, exercise picked up majorly and I found myself waking up earlier than ever. I went from sleeping in till 10 to waking up at 7 (ON MY OWN). By the end of the day I would be sleepy though. This was good. I wasn't all hyped up on caffeine or refined sugar. I would go to bed around 12-1. I've never been one to wake up during the night.

Soooooooooooooooooooo

Non-Raw = 9-10 hours even with naps
RAW = 6-7 hours with no nap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2006 08:29PM by VeloriaRaw.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: October 22, 2006 01:39AM

Without even being 100% raw, I have noticed that I very easily get to sleep if I haven't eaten in the last 2-4 hours (or only a bit of fruit)...

I'm excited to see how much sleep I will need when totally raw!!!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 23, 2006 09:42PM

I used to need 9-10 hours of sleep as a meat-eater. I think with all those toxins I was ingesting, my body just needed especially long to rejuvenate. And I used to think of myself as a "night person" because I'd be so tired in the morning until the afternoon, then I would feel really awake later on (which I now realize was prob just due to the Starbucks and Red bulls I always drank).

As soon as I started raw (and including the detox diets I used to occasionally do) I needed a lot less sleep, like 7 hours max. And I felt so light and refreshed.

Also on raw I notice I'm a DAY person, I think we all are, I don't think there really is such a thing as a "morning person" and a "night person".

I find that I get very sleepy around 10pm now, but if I'm going out for drinks with friends or traveling I can easily push myself to stay up late.

(ps I'm not usually 100% raw - but on days that I am I need even less sleep, like I'll schedule 7 hours but start waking up around 4am!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2006 09:45PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 23, 2006 09:52PM

My experience:

After being raw for many years.....the quality of my sleep has continually improved. And I certainly don't HAVE to sleep as much. But I still prefer a good 7.5 hours.

-David Mason

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 23, 2006 10:10PM

I think 7-8 hours is sufficient. I used to need a nap, but not anymore! I was 100% raw for almost 2 months and I did well with 7 hours of sleep. I
backslid a bit yesterday and ate some non-raw things, and I felt groggy this morning and wanted to keep sleeping ( I think it has to do with less sunshine this time of year here, too)

Posted by: Anna67 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 09:11AM

Hi,
When i was a cooked Vegetarian - dairy, brown rice, white sugar and alcohol consumer, I desperately needed 12- 13 hours sleep.
At High raw, except for the odd bit of tamari, braggs or macadamias, I sleep average 6 hours, but feel better with 7 hours, which is adequate for me.

As a cooked person my sleep was restless and disrupted. Now my sleep is blissful.
Anna

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 24, 2006 05:14PM

A good rule of thumb is sleep until you can sleep no longer. This means don't use an alarm clock. And if you are tired in the middle of the day, take a nap.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 24, 2006 05:17PM

By the way, does anyone here experience the "too much sleep" phenomenom? I used to get this when I was eating SAD. When I would sleep a little longer than normal, I would get really groggy and want to sleep more. If I indulged in this sleep, I would never quit feeling tired or groggy.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: October 25, 2006 03:34AM

Bryan, I am still in transition (some days I am more cooked than raw, some days I am 100% raw, some I am 50/50), and I do occasionally experience that too much sleep phenomenon...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables