Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spiral Slicer
Posted by: ssssdeb ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:03AM

I have the larger horizontal style spiral slicer and could not get it to do carrots tonight at all. It does zucchini noodles beautifully. Is the shorter, more vertical style spiral slicer better for carrots? I didn't get this kind originally because you had to cut up the food due to it's smaller size. Now I wonder if it might not have been better for a wider variety of foods. Please share your experience! Thanks so much.
Debbie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Slicer
Date: June 13, 2012 02:43AM

Just watched a YouTube video that showed me what I'm doing wrong with my spiral slicer! I had no idea. Haven't tried it yet, but think I can do carrots now smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:07PM

Debbie,

There's a "trick" to most of these; once you get it down, it's a breeze! Good luck!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:44PM

presumably Debbie, this is the video you saw. If not, here's a second chance.

Paul

[www.youtube.com]

I have one. I usually juice or blend my carrots but I could slice them with my zucchini.

Paul

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:03PM

I have a spiral slicer and I have never use it. It is just sitting there. Never found the motivation to use it. However, I have a mandolin and I use it for salads. It is THE workhorse for making salads quick. Cleans fast.

[www.amazon.com]

version 2:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 05:09PM by Panchito.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:18PM

Luckily i didn't have spare funds for a spiral slicer when I first started raw and wanted to buy it, and by now I've realised that I too don't need it! Mandolin is fantastic and, as above, the breeze to clean, and I figured yep there can be many ways to slice a cat but in the end it is still a cat and thats what really matters here....

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:38PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a spiral slicer and I have never use it. It
> is just sitting there. Never found the motivation
> to use it. However, I have a mandolin and I use it
> for salads. It is THE workhorse for making salads
> quick. Cleans fast.
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> cer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid
> =1339606910&sr=8-5&keywords=mandolin
>
Me, too! I am planning to put together the spiral slicer very soon to take advantage of the tons of zukes that a garden produces! But the mandolin gives me the willies. I don't keep sharp knives for the same reason.
> version 2:
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> ine-V-7000/dp/B003CN6Q1Y/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

Date: June 13, 2012 06:42PM

mandolines or even a good knife with a good cutting board is enough. Spiral slicers are great "haves" but not need to haves, imho.

Paul

fwiw, I use my spiral slicers when I'm making large batches and a good julienne peeler when making small batches.

Date: June 13, 2012 07:08PM

Paul, is that your new signature line regarding veganism? I recently posted a recipe which included honey as an ingredient. I realize that this is a vegan forum and that honey is not considered vegan. I am not currently vegan and have said so. The only reason I discuss honey is because the owner of this site decided it would be allowed as fodder for discussion. I don't mean to disrespect those who eschew it in the least.

Date: June 13, 2012 09:36PM

bw, it is my belief but it makes a poor signature. Consider it gone, live and let live!! winking smiley

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 13, 2012 09:54PM

Since I cut the end of my finger off with a mandoline I hesitate to use them. I love the spiral slicer though, it makes it easier for the kids to eat hard veggies like carrots and beets, I can toss those curly-cues onto anything!

Date: June 13, 2012 10:34PM

LOL--Paul, if you like to use it, please continue. I just wanted to make sure that we were cool...

Coco, I looked on Amazon and they sell lead gloves to use with the mandolin. That's nuts. I don't need uniform slices THAT bad.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:56PM

I have gloves like that (they have metal threads, not lead though) for use with a rotary cutter in sewing projects. They are unwieldy though, I can't imagine using one with a mandolin.

Date: June 14, 2012 02:50AM

When I couldn't get the carrots to spiral the first night I cut them with a peeler and got long flat ribbons. They were pretty but tough to eat with the sauce I put on them. All tasted good but it wasn't right. I tried again after watching YouTube and got more of a noodle effect (rounder) but very, very short - 1-2" max. This was much easier to eat and much, much better, but still not the effect I was after sad smiley

Paul: Your video is the same guy but different spiral cutter and video so I'll watch that now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables