Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"But, where do you get your protein?"
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:44AM

LOL, this question.

[www.trueactivist.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "But, where do you get your protein?"
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: June 25, 2012 12:13PM

When I read this the other day, I could hardly believe they said...

1 avocado – 10 grams!!!

Give me a break!

One big avocado has less than 5 grams of protein. As Mark Twain once said, "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 25, 2012 12:54PM

Yes, the meat, dairy and grain industries have the protein myth so etched into people's minds, that vegetarians stuff themselves with dairy and wheat for fear of not getting enough protein. And first time vegans are totally freaked out with worry of not eating enough protein.

I must admit that for awhile it was at the back of my mind too. But I was working out and becoming stronger, even though I ate less than a handful of beans each day, and the rest being fruit and veg only (no grains).

It's the first thing people say when they see what I eat. I used to dive into a long diatribe about amino acids etc, but now I just answer a question with a question, and ask them where do elephants get their protein! It floors them, and the look on their faces tells it all, as they are confronted with, and grapple in dealing with a different thought pattern. Total worth it grinning smiley

Date: June 25, 2012 02:18PM

The absolute brain freeze people have over this is astonishing. Really, even when presented with solid info about aminos, etc, or comparisons with other large and densely muscled creatures who are vegetarian, there is a wilful inability to understand how protein can be attained without the ingestion of flesh. Even the meaty crew don't consider dairy a source of protein, many believe that's where they get calcium and that's it! Weird how those lies are allowed, even supported by the powers that be. No wonder people are in such a state of dis-ease and ill-health.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 25, 2012 02:56PM

I think the article is encouraging.
I have posted this before on this forum.....that I am into bodybuilding,and I dont think twice how many grams of protein I get,and I am as big or bigger than any time during my tuna,milk,beef,protein powder,or amino acid capsule days.
Period.
Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 25, 2012 04:06PM

I'll top all y'all: In the June issue of the freely distributed Delicious Living Magazine[issue not available online, yet], pp. 28-29 feature the Triple Take, where three experts; usually from alternative disciplines, advise on a specific health concern. This month's query concerned protein deficiency, which caused me to go, "Not this nonsense again! Who has protein deficiency in this country?!" Then, I read the first expert's advice and went from annoyed to incensed:

The expert is an Ayurvedic chirporactor from Colorado who listed symptoms--including depression, irritability, and loss of focus--more common to B12 deficiency, then singled out vegetarians and vegans as being groups that "may not get enough protein," and concluded by advising such vegetarians and vegans to use meat as medicine, consuming several ounces a day for two weeks, before going back to vegetarianism or veganism.

From the implication that meat-free diets are fundamentally defective or unserious, to the obliviouness about the ethical reasons why people refrain from eating animal protein, to the bizarre nutritional hypothesis--he posits that the extremely acidic nature of animal protein allows it to reach deeper tissues better, whatever that means--it is a tour de force of b.s. If you can find Delicious Living at your local health food store, do take a gander, LOL!

Thus, it is a relief to read the link coco posts--so sensible, so reasoned, so nice.

Date: June 25, 2012 05:36PM

A homeopath friend on FB is giving me such grief about posting it there, lol. She REALLY likes butter.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 25, 2012 05:53PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll top all y'all: In the June issue of the
> freely distributed Delicious Living Magazine, pp.
> 28-29 feature the Triple Take, where three
> experts; usually from alternative disciplines,
> advise on a specific health concern. This month's
> query concerned protein deficiency, which caused
> me to go, "Not this nonsense again! Who has
> protein deficiency in this country?!" Then, I
> read the first expert's advice and went from
> annoyed to incensed:
>
> The expert is an Ayurvedic chirporactor from
> Colorado who listed symptoms--including
> depression, irritability, and loss of focus--more
> common to B12 deficiency, then singled out
> vegetarians and vegans as being groups that "may
> not get enough protein," and concluded by advising
> such vegetarians and vegans to use meat as
> medicine, consuming several ounces a day for two
> weeks, before going back to vegetarianism or
> veganism.
>
> From the implication that meat-free diets are
> fundamentally defective or unserious, to the
> obliviouness about the ethical reasons why people
> refrain from eating animal protein, to the bizarre
> nutritional hypothesis--he posits that the
> extremely acidic nature of animal protein allows
> it to reach deeper tissues better, whatever that
> means--it is a tour de force of b.s.

that is quite stunning.

must be a lot of "Meat board" sponsored propaganda

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 25, 2012 07:19PM

spent too much capital on the other thread on this. Giraffes, elephants, rhinos, gorillas. Lots of big herbivorous animals out there eating nothing but plants. I wonder where they get their protein.

Actually, Dr. Fuhrman believes (as do many) that animal protein and concentrated soy protein (e.g. isolated soy protein) can raise IGF-1 levels (insulin-like glucose factor, a hormone that is needed in growth but when stimulated can cause aging and cancer) more than plant protein. More is not always better.

Paul

Date: June 28, 2012 06:15PM

But what is the `net utilisable protein' value of these foods? Getting good protein is easy to do, but consuming prtoein in a balanced safe form is not so easy (eg, unsprouted nuts and seeds are high fat, so they must be limited. eg2, vegetables have protein, but you need alot of them to get good protein levels. eg3, other high protein foods like lentils usually need to be sprouted to get proper value.

The key to getting good quality well balanced protein is to sprout your foods and also include sesame seed sprouts because they have an abundance of one of the highl elusive amino acids that bring down the NUP level of almost all protein foods.

l get much of my protein from green drinks, not vegetable drinks, but green sprout drinks and weed juices. 24oz of sprouted green juice contains 25 grams of protein of very high quality, especially if you juice sunflower greens because they contain the most balanced protein known to man. And if you drink freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice you will get 1 gram of 100% fully digestable protein per 1oz. l also get my protein from sprouted nuts and sprouted seeds and also sprouted legumes such as lentil sprouts. l also get ALOT of protein from sea weeds and algaes. l find it easy to develop muscle on such a diet.

The key to getting protein is to comsume it in mainly predigested form so there won't be any health issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 06:16PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: ssssdeb ()
Date: June 28, 2012 07:52PM

Everything that is off the beaten path begets its own question. As a home school parent, I am always asked about the socialization of my kiddos. It gets old, but now when I'm asked about my protein I don't ask where elephants get theirs (though that is good!) but ask back how I socialized my children. It baffles them but that's ok. A good sense of humor can be a necessity.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 28, 2012 08:04PM

Can you please detail your exact method for sprouting sesame seeds? Thanks!

Date: June 28, 2012 08:53PM

phantom Wrote:
> Can you please detail your exact method for
> sprouting sesame seeds? Thanks!

* soak for 4 hours in a jar of with gauze mesh over the mouth area.
* after 4 hours, tip the jar upsidedown on a dish rack so the water drains out.
* rinse the seeds every twelve hours by putting some water in the jar and tipping out again.
* (repeat step 3 for about two days)

lf you sprout them for too long they get bitter and strong. 2 days is usually good for decent weather.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 28, 2012 11:34PM

What is that 'elusive' amino acid Storm?

Thx jalan

Date: June 29, 2012 09:27AM

jalanutan Wrote:
> What is that 'elusive' amino acid Storm?
>
> Thx jalan

The elusive amino acid in almost all diets is `methinone'. So yes, sprouted sesame seeds and green juice is an excellent addition to a raw diet...get more out of the food and less waste, ie the NUP levels will go way up.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 29, 2012 01:56PM

>The elusive amino acid in almost all diets is `methinone'.

can you list examples of diets that lack methionine
and diets that contain enough methionine?
because i have no idea what you mean - although i presume you mean
sprouts are required for enough methionine, even though i have already shown on this board that all amino acid requirements are easily satisfied on many simple raw diets.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 29, 2012 08:24PM

methionine is a sulfur-bearing amino acid that is usually the limiting amino acid in legumes (as lysine is the limiting amino acid in grains). Apart from legumes however, most other plant proteins have plenty of methionine in relationship to the other essential amino acids (i.e. those not produced by our own body).

Ironically, there is actually a theory the methionine restriction maybe a useful strategy to increase longevity and control cancer. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Methylation is a main factor in causing damage to dna. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov][www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Not that I condone the animal experiments in the above cites. But it does raise the question of whether having low methionine might be an advantage. As long as we get enough protein to function, having extra is no advantage. So, low methionine isn't bad, and high methionine isn't good. Not that simple.

To make the case that raw vegans need more protein, I think you first need to show that those eating the diet aren't getting enough through study. Most of the studies in Davis and Melina, Becoming Raw show exactly the opposite. Raw vegans usually get plenty of protein. And lower net utilization may actually be a benefit as it is less likely to stimulate IGF-1 and cancer. Perhaps this part of the reason why casein stimulated liver cancer in Campbell's experiments but plant protein did not in the China study.

Paul

Date: June 29, 2012 10:57PM

pborst Wrote:
> methionine is a sulfur-bearing amino acid that is
> usually the limiting amino acid in legumes (as
> lysine is the limiting amino acid in grains).
> Apart from legumes however, most other plant
> proteins have plenty of methionine in relationship
> to the other essential amino acids (i.e. those not
> produced by our own body).
>

l wonder where this information comes from. From what l understand, it is not just a limited amino acid in legumes, it is also limited in many nuts, seeds and grains. l will do further research and see if l can come up with a solid conslusion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables