Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Super Walmart Watermelon
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 02, 2012 04:16PM

If you thought this was about bad news you were right. I ended up buying a Super Walmart Watermelon. It was light pink inside, flavorless, and with this light orange stain inside. Ouch! Made in New a Jersey asphalt road or on the ruins of an abandoned mall.

Learned lesson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super Walmart Watermelon
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 02, 2012 05:57PM

Imo watermelons are among those foods that have to be bought organic. Otherwise the chances they are packed with chemicals are too high!

In UK organic watermelons are not bad at all. Of course no comparison to a proper south asian watermelon which you eat off the field, but they have juiciness and sweetness and taste.

The colour of watermelon is not a sure indicator of its quality. Pink flesh may indicate a poor watermelon, but it may also not - some varieties of watermelons are pink. And if they are good, they are super juicy and sweet despite the absence of colour.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: July 03, 2012 06:28AM

It's deceiveing, but yes, even with such a thick peel, organic is worth it!

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 03, 2012 12:39PM

What?
I have read watermelons are one of the "clean foods",that you dont have to buy organic.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 04, 2012 11:08AM

You don't have to buy organic, Vinny, here in the States, anyway. Our US grown or even local watermelons are minimally messed with. I would never buy a watermelon that has a hybrid trademark name--think Supersweet corn--as this means it has been artificially hybridized out of proportion to what is natural.

Seeded vs unseeded is more relevent: IMO the seeded taste better. The stock man unloading the fruit at my Meijer yesterday was even joking about how he advises concerned shoppers to buy the seeded varieties of things they stock, and those customers like them better. One person at a time, and we will win the war, I say smiling smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 04, 2012 12:09PM

I tried one of those "Kids love it watermelons" and I have to say it was really good. It was super sweet! but because of that I could not gulp down as much as I usually do smiling smiley It was purchased on Giant supermarket. They have a black (very very dark green) shell and they have a sticker with the word Kid. After I ate one I decided I like to gulp and go for the normal ones

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 04, 2012 11:36PM

Got some strawberries from Walmart today and I have to give props. They were the biggest, reddest, and best tasting stawberries I have ever had.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 05, 2012 01:11AM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What?
> I have read watermelons are one of the "clean
> foods",that you dont have to buy organic.

Sorry I didn't know watermelons were clean! I prefer to buy them organic because in some countries they add chemicals to facilitate watermelon growth (I think?), so that sometimes it is inadvisable to buy watermelons early in the season because they contain more bad stuff. Certainly if the country doesn't do it then it should be no worries.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 06, 2012 02:14PM

My local farmers market gets them in by the hundreds.
I usually just scrub them real well under hot water.
If in doubt,I peel away the green outer layer,but thats alot of work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables