Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mushroom subtstitute
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 03, 2012 08:24AM

I've just learned that common edible mushrooms contain amounts of carcinogenic toxins (hydrazine derivatives such as agaritine and gyromitrin).

So it looks like I might have to exclude them from the diet.sad smiley Is there a substitute for mushrooms one may use, purely texture/taste substitute?

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mushroom subtstitute
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 03, 2012 11:25AM

chat,

The amount of carcinogens in raw button mushrooms is negligible. Most mushrooms, including these, have anti-cancerous properties, and they are high in Vit D, B12, minerals and anti-oxidants. Are you eating tons of these? if so, that may require caution, but no one knows for sure.

You could favor wild medicinal ones, like hen-of- the-woods, but these have been traditionally eaten cook because their cell walls resist mastication.

I eat raw button mushrooms when I feel like, and gently cook most mushrooms otherwise. Splits the difference, I assume smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 03, 2012 01:35PM

dehydrated eggplant maybe?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 03, 2012 08:10PM

I think first, you have to look at the whole food, not just particular constituents unless those constiuents contaminate the whole food. It's true about raw mushrooms containing agaratine and hydrazine derivatives. And cooking does completely destroy these. Raw mushroom consumption is not advised. But if you are not 100 percent, your rewards for including these in your 10 percent cooked could be tremendous. Mushrooms are potent anti cancer foods as a whole. They contain aromatase inhibitors (aromatase is an enzyme that breast cancer cells use to synthesize estrogen when endogenous estrogen isn't present, basically converts testosterone and other hormones into estrogen so it can live; mushrooms block that!), and angiogenesis inhibitors.

It's true mushrooms contain a few problematic constituents but Davis & Melina has proffered that a marinated mushroom mix may destroy agaratine as well. I advise reading Becoming Raw and making an informed decision. One of the reasons I'm 80 percent and not 100 percent raw.

paul

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 05, 2012 01:18AM

Thanks all! I guess I'll give up eating them raw, it's still toxin even if small amounts so better not put any into my body. I'll certainly have them cooked occasionally.

Eggplant is a great idea!! Seems it's exactly what I've been looking for, as it can be used as pizza base too, and has similar texture. Bought one today to try raw for the first time. Didnt dehydrate it, but mashed in a zucchini hummus - will see tomorrow how it tastessmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 06, 2012 10:49PM

My landlord pulls Shaggy Manes out of the yard and leaves them on the hood of my car. smiling smiley

Mushrooms are one of those foods you legitimately have to cook to make some of the good stuff bioavailable and destroy the nasty stuff (unlike the tomatoes and lycopene argument... jeez tongue sticking out smiley ). So, some lightly cooked mushrooms on top of an otherwise raw salad from time to time... really does it for me.

I've actually felt significantly better since adding them to my diet, and I've been raw for 4.5 years now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables