Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw sources of complex carbohydrates?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 04, 2012 11:05AM

Any ideas? I find myself slipping back into potato/rice meals every so often but would like to avoid if I could.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw sources of complex carbohydrates?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 04, 2012 12:12PM

raw bread? (dehydrated food: organic sweet corn + red peppers + flax seed)

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 04, 2012 12:45PM

Sweet potato is one. Just keep in mind that complex carbohydrates in raw form are less available then when they are cooked. (What this means is your body will take less energy from a raw sweet potato than from a cooked one.)

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 04, 2012 04:20PM

^ You can eat sweet potatoes raw? doesnt sound too tasty.

I have no dehydrator panchito nor do I plan to get one smiling smiley

Date: July 04, 2012 06:43PM

Yep you can - and yep they are tasty! The easiest way is cut them into sticks and eat them with your favourite dip, yum.

Date: July 05, 2012 01:38AM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any ideas? I find myself slipping back into
> potato/rice meals every so often but would like to
> avoid if I could.

Pea shoot juice, sprouted grain milk, wheatgrass juice, sprouted chickpeas, sprouted legumes.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: July 06, 2012 03:46PM

I agree with Panchito. If you have a dehydrator, food processor and a sprouter, use kamut (related to wheat but lower in gluten) and sprout it until you get "tails" about a 1/4 inch long. This is when the grain is at its sweetest and doesn't taste grassy. Usually 36 to 48 hours of sprouting.

There are lots of recipes. A basic one could be 1 cup of sprouted kamut, 1/2 cup of golden flax meal (previously ground) and some dates (pitted) and enough water to allow mixing but not make the mix watery. Maybe start with 1/2 cup of water and see if you need to add. The food processor shouldn't struggle.

Transfer the dough on to parchment paper or teflex sheets and dry 8-12 hours at 110 degrees.

Flip it... add some dulse flakes for iodine and color. season lightly. And dry another 4 to 8 hours. The key will be making sure the bread is pliable, dry on the outside, moist on the inside.

Kref

Date: July 06, 2012 03:57PM

I'm new at this and struggle to get the sense of flax meal and the dehydrator. I've have read on this forum that flax is supposed to be super-unstable, if the person wants the full goodness it packs they have to eat it straight after milling. So I can understand adding flax in dehydrator recipes for its binding properties, but for nutrition? After it has been oxidized in the dehydrator for hours?

To be honest the same goes for most of the dehydrated foods. I can see the point of eating them occasionally, as a treat, or to combat a craving, but that's about it. So far as nutrition and health is concerned, I thought the whole point of choosing the raw diet is that you eat fresh foods, not foods which again have been oxidized for hours in the dehydratorsmiling smiley

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: July 06, 2012 04:19PM

I take your point. And yes, there is probably some compromise in nutrition, though how much I'm not sure. I take a freshly ground tablespoon of flax with my morning smoothie to assure myself of all the nutrition flax has to offer.

On the manna bread, I strictly add the flax as a healthy binder. One could also use psyllium fiber, or chia seeds. I like flax for the omega 3 and lignans. Not sure how much compromise with dehydration at low temps we are talking about. But maybe. I'd just say have another tbsp full of freshly ground flax and make your choice about your binder. Not so important with kamut as it has gluten.

If you make your manna bread with a low gluten or no gluten grain, e.g. buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, you need a binder or when it dries or it will just crumble in your hands. psyllium or chia would be my choices for w/holding flax if that's needed.

Kref

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 04:22PM by Krefcenz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables