Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic does NOT mean non-GMO.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2012 02:24PM

You didn't want to believe it but I told you so.

[farmwars.info]

Don't like it? Well, don't just sit there... do something!

[www.naturalnews.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic does NOT mean non-GMO.
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 11, 2012 01:53AM

Cross-contamination is one of the major reasons to ban all GMOs immediately... But that doesn't change the fact that the organic standard does not allow GMO.

Yes, they SHOULD test. I would never touch organic corn with a ten foot pole, and I'm a bit leery about some organic alfalfa seed I just purchased.

I'm all over the organic zucchinis and tomatoes, however. >8)

Organic is also still your best bet... We've got no better options.

Unless you know someone I don't and there's some hip guy testing genetics at the local seed bank.

Re: Organic does NOT mean non-GMO.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:28PM

The organic standard does not (for now) allow for GMOs but if there is not testing done, there is in fact no way to know if cross contamination has occured. At all. No way at all to tell if the birds and the bees and the wind have done their job of pollenating this crop with that crop, the majority of crops these days being conventionally grown and therefore a large percentage of pollen etc being GMO. So chances are good that tons of organics are contaminated, including those grown in our own backyard gardens.
The other issue here of course is that regulated testing would put an enormous financial burden on small organic farmers, essentially running them out of business. Can you imagine? They are already struggling to be affordable in competition with their heavily govt subsidized conventional counterpart. Ridiculous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables