Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

could the carrots be the cause?
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: July 18, 2012 05:31PM

Hi all,

I asked this question before about my yellow skin after starting 50% raw
and limiting meat about almost a year ago.

I got my blood test done two weeks agao and the B12 is normal and Red blood cell and iron are in the low range of normal range.

I asked my doctor why my skin is so yellow? he mentioned that my liver function is normal from blood test. he said that carrots can change skin color.

I put 6-8 pieces of baby carrots with friuts and greens to make juice. Could 6-8 pieces of baby carrots change my skin color?

If not, what else could be the cause?

Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: could the carrots be the cause?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 18, 2012 05:36PM

It's likely. And if so, it's harmless and reversible. Though I would wear it like a badge of honor. More here if you would like to learn more. "Carotenemia is a benign condition most commonly occurring in vegetarians and young children"

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 05:48PM by pborst.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 18, 2012 05:41PM

I never bought that theory about carrots--nonsense. What would happen--the pigment seeps out into the skin?

What about jaundice? There is a connection with anemia in some cases.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 18, 2012 06:04PM

Paul, your comment wasn't up yet when I posted mine, so I wasn't calling yours 'nonsense.' I just can't help but wonder if it's liver-related, even if the liver has been judged working properly...

What I would ask is if your regimen is new and perhaps this is part of the cleasning effect, especially how it relates to the liver?

Date: July 18, 2012 08:03PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul, your comment wasn't up yet when I posted
> mine, so I wasn't calling yours 'nonsense.'

BW,

I know. Thanks.

Paul

Date: July 18, 2012 09:28PM

Thanks for the help.
>What I would ask is if your regimen is new and perhaps this is part of the cleasning effect, especially how it relates to the liver?

I started last August.

Date: July 18, 2012 09:30PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info and I am going to google Carotenemia to learn more.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:00PM

banana who Wrote:
> Paul, your comment wasn't up yet when I posted
> mine, so I wasn't calling yours 'nonsense.' I just
> can't help but wonder if it's liver-related, even
> if the liver has been judged working properly...
>
> What I would ask is if your regimen is new and
> perhaps this is part of the cleasning effect,
> especially how it relates to the liver?

Norman Walker in his book Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices agrees with you. You can find this on google books.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:36PM

Here’s an old post of mine that covers this…

RE: Skin changing color
John Rose
Date: 05-07-01 12:23

Dr. Norman Walker writes about skin discoloration on page 33 in "Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices" and on pages 90 & 91 in "The Vegetarian Guide to Diet & Salad". Walker writes on page 90 that this yellowish hue "to be the result of the coagulated bile in the liver dissolving so fast that sluggish kidneys and bowels were not able to take care of its elimination quickly enough resulting in the lymph carrying this excess debris to the surface for elimination through the pores of the skin."

Peace and Love..........John

Date: July 27, 2012 05:34PM

Hi John,

Thanks for taking time to help.
>this yellowish hue "to be the result of the coagulated bile in the liver dissolving so fast that sluggish kidneys and bowels were not able to take care of its elimination quickly enough resulting in the lymph carrying this excess debris to the surface for elimination through the pores of the skin."

any medical issue with this? any remedy to this yellow skin?

So, carrots could not be the issue. BTW, I stop eating carrots last week.

Thank you.

Date: July 27, 2012 05:54PM

First of all, Doctors cannot say that our Liver Function is Normal based on Blood Tests because the Liver performs so many functions. Sure, a Blood Test can show Elevated Liver Enzymes in the Blood indicating Liver Inflammation, but Western Medicine cannot tell when our Livers are Congested and most Liver Congestion is usually due to Gall Stones. The point here is that we can have a host of problems or Warning Signs when our Liver is Impaired. According to my research, ~60% of the Western Herbs are used for the Liver mainly to promote the flow of bile, but most of those Toxins that come out with the bile get reabsorbed in the intestines.

According to Kathryn Alexander in the May-June, 2000 Gerson Healing Newsletter Vol. 15, No. 3, “Gerson knew that the coffee enema dilated the bile ducts and caused a flushing of toxic bile from the liver. (Drinking coffee constricts the bile ducts). He also knew that this was the most effective method for detoxification. Since Gerson's time various active ingredients in coffee have been identified and most interestingly, the palmitates present in coffee increase the binding of toxic elements by the bile 7-fold and this enzyme-enhancing ability in the liver and small intestine does not allow reabsorption of the toxic bile. Most cholerectic herbs do not ensure this complete removal of toxins but only an increase in bile flow.”

Peace and Love……..John

PS Here is an old post from this message board a few years back…

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Dr Flora
Author: bliss (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: 02-12-05 08:25

I wanted to thank you AGAIN for your invaluable advice, most notably all of your comments about pineapple juice. I can honestly say that after drinking it several times a week for a few months, all of my gallbladder problems are gone. I couldn't eat avocados or nuts before, because I would get uncomfortable aches and twinges, and once had a full-blown attack. I was getting to the point where I couldn't even have Energy Soup or a nice molested kale salad - the avos would trigger some kind of attack. And I've done a whole slew of liver flushes too, and they didn't help as much as just drinking fresh, ripe pineapple juice did. I love it so much - what a treat - now that's some delicious medicine! I'm going to continue to drink it a few times a week forever and ever.

I can't thank you enough for sharing your generous wisdom.

Bless,
Bliss
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: July 27, 2012 05:58PM

Here is my File Preview on Pineapple Juice…

…File Preview…
• Stick holes in the stem end of the pineapple and place it in the sun, after you rinse it well, in a saucer with a little fresh water in it. Let it sit for a couple of days and when it's all yellow and smells delicious, make juice out of it and chugalug it first thing in the am on an empty stomach.
• The pineapples soak up the water in the sun and ripen nicely and become fragrant, alkaline and sweet. If the juice is chugged, it slips down to the liver and gall bladder and dissolves fat and cholesterol from earlier times and everything is happy down there as you sweat out the old oils from your pores. The bromelain is in the stem, so don't throw away the center part; it's the most important part of the fruit.
• If you binge on: 4. fatty, greasy, cheesy, oily, chugalug on an empty stomach, fresh pineapple juice from a pineapple you ripened yourself in the sun in a bowl of water with holes in the bottom for inspiration
• home ripened freshly juiced pineapple juice chugalugged first thing in the am on an empty stomach to clean out the old oils from my system.
• Make sure you home ripen the pineapples: put them in a saucer in the sun for a couple of days after you wash them thoroughly and then punch holes in the stem end so that the leaves can drink in the sun and water you pour over them on and off and they become yellow and smell delicious! and they won't burn your lips and other parts.
• Freshly made Pineapple juice chugalugged first thing in the am (ayunas) and Fenugreek greens will assist.
• Pineapple juiced should be drunk chugalug and not blended with other things because when it gets caught in your system it gets old and acid within half an hour.
• On an empty stomach, when you chugalug it, it leaves your stomach within 20 minutes and is in your gall bladder, making small work of any old nuts or seeds or stuff you have eaten cooked or rancid. Pineapple juice is a gift from the gods for us when we have strayed, but later on, when you are more careful about what you eat, you won't need it because there will not be anything in your body (too much cholesterol, rancid fats or oils, etc.) that will need dissolving.
• Pineapple needs to be juiced and drunk quickly so that it gets to your liver and gall bladder and has time to work on the cholesterol there for about 20-30 minutes before anything else comes down.
• The middle of the pineapple and stem has the enzyme bromelaine, which dissolves cholesterol. When it is ripened in the sun, in a little saucer of water so that holes in the stem end can suck the soaking water from dulse up into the body of the fruit and ripen so it's golden yellow and smells delicious, it is such a gift to your body, juiced and chugalugged.
• The minute a person stops putting something bad inside, the body starts to clean house and all of the poisons (fat, animal cholesterol, chemicals and hormones) rises to the top of the body like a salad dressing bottle at rest as the fat rises to the top, and circulation is temporarily blocked and you get dizzy on and off, especially during the wane of the full moon. …Home ripened pineapple juice will dissolve the fat quickly, as will purslaine, and blended and juiced greens will rebuild your blood into something you will benefit by, instead of the blood that is full of animal fat and cholesterol.
• Chocolate is one of those darn malonic acid containing foods, which will destroy your immune sytem and prevent two very important digestive enzymes from being utilized in your body. Do some figs and prunes today with your greens and tomorrow morning bolt some raw pineapple juice down, and don't eat anything for about an hour to let the bromelaine do it's work on the fat which contains the malonate.
• the pineapple's enzyme, which dissolves fat, cholesterol, grease, etc.
• Pick out a pineapple that is at least half little golden yellow. Never buy one that is blue-green. …Wash it twice in a one minute hot bath, patting it dry in between. With the tines of a plastic fork, poke holes in the stem end (the stem is where the bromelaine concentrates) and place it in direct sun until it is yellow all over (many times it takes a couple of days). If you put the dulse soaking water in the soaking water, the liquid minerals (but not the sea shells and sand!) that are rinsed out of the dulse will be sucked up into the pineapple stem, almost as if it were still on the stem grounded, and the pineapple will ripen.
• I wanted to thank you AGAIN for your invaluable advice, most notably all of your comments about pineapple juice. I can honestly say that after drinking it several times a week for a few months, all of my gallbladder problems are gone. …And I've done a whole slew of liver flushes too, and they didn't help as much as just drinking fresh, ripe pineapple juice did.
…End of File Preview…

Peace and Love..........John

Date: July 27, 2012 06:01PM

Hi Paul,

I googled and found out these:
[chetday.com]
"Carotenemia is the medical term for increased blood levels of the pigment carotene, a vitamin-A precursor found mainly in the fruits and vegetables, especially carrots and sweet potatoes. The excess carotene is deposited in the skin, where it imparts that distinctive hue. High blood levels of carotene are harmless, and enzymes in the body limit that nutrient's conversion to vitamin A so the vitamin won't reach toxic levels. If you don't like the orange color, cut down on the carrots or supplements. Your skin color will return to normal after a few weeks."

------------
I drink juice with organic green salad mix, banana, watermelon, kiwi and avacodo daily. (no more carrots inside) also, I eat steamed corn and yams.
So, I stop carrots last week.
what else should I stop too due to this yellow skin?

Thank you very much!

Date: July 27, 2012 06:20PM

in addtion, I eat at least two bananas daily. two bananas daily are too much?

Thank you very much!

Date: July 27, 2012 07:01PM

Google and find out these foods that contain carotenoids:
-------------------
What foods provide carotenoids?

The orange-colored fruits and vegetables including carrots, apricots, mangoes, squash, papaya, and sweet potatoes contain significant amounts of beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin.

Green vegetables, especially spinach, kale, and collard greens, also contain beta-carotene, and are the best sources of lutein.

Lycopene is found in tomatoes, guava, and pink grapefruit. Salmon, shellfish, milk, and egg yolks also provide carotenoids.
--------------------
If I limit orange-cplored fruits and geeen vegetalbes, what else I can eat?

I alwasy think green vegetables do not cause skin color change.

Please help and thank you.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 27, 2012 08:52PM

banana who Wrote:
> I never bought that theory about
> carrots--nonsense. What would happen--the pigment
> seeps out into the skin?

This is from the wiki article on carotenosis (the references are in footnotes):

Carotenaemia (xanthaemia) is the presence in blood of the orange pigment carotene from excessive intake of carrots or other vegetables containing the pigment resulting in increased serum carotenoids. Carotenoids are absorbed by passive diffusion from the gastrointestinal tract and are then partially metabolized in the intestinal mucosa and liver to vitamin A. From there they are transported in the plasma into the peripheral tissues. Carotenoids are deposited in the intercellular lipids of the stratum corneum, and the color change is most prominent in regions of increased sweating and thickness of this layer. This includes the palms, soles, knees, and nasolabial folds, although the discoloration can be generalized.

Carotenoids contribute to normal-appearing human skin color and are a significant component of physiologic ultraviolet photoprotection. They are eliminated via sweat, sebum, urine, and gastrointestinal secretions.

What exactly is the nonsense about it? I'm not saying it is not, just wondering since you said it's nonsense and didn't say why.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 27, 2012 09:48PM

welcome, it is reversible if that's what you wish. John Kohler has commented on his own. Though I couldn't tell from his video.

Paul

jj2011 Wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I googled and found out these:
> [chetday.com]
> "Carotenemia is the medical term for increased
> blood levels of the pigment carotene, a vitamin-A
> precursor found mainly in the fruits and
> vegetables, especially carrots and sweet potatoes.
> The excess carotene is deposited in the skin,
> where it imparts that distinctive hue. High blood
> levels of carotene are harmless, and enzymes in
> the body limit that nutrient's conversion to
> vitamin A so the vitamin won't reach toxic levels.
> If you don't like the orange color, cut down on
> the carrots or supplements. Your skin color will
> return to normal after a few weeks."
>
> ------------
> I drink juice with organic green salad mix,
> banana, watermelon, kiwi and avacodo daily. (no
> more carrots inside) also, I eat steamed corn and
> yams.
> So, I stop carrots last week.
> what else should I stop too due to this yellow
> skin?
>
> Thank you very much!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:44AM

jj2011 Wrote:
> If I limit orange-cplored fruits and geeen
> vegetalbes, what else I can eat?
>
> I alwasy think green vegetables do not cause skin
> color change.
>
> Please help and thank you.

Wiki lists these veggies/fruits as containing high levels of carotenoids (at least until BW explains why this theory is nonsense):

Alfalfa
Apples
Apricots
Asparagus
Beans
Beet greens
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cantaloupes
Carrots
Collard greens
Cucumbers
Figs
Kale
Kiwi
Lettuce
Mangoes
Mustard
Oranges
Palm oil
Papayas
Parsley
Peaches
Pineapples
Plums
Pumpkins
Seaweed
Spinach
Squash
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes
Yams
Yellow corn

I was surprised go find there are so many of them! It leaves you little choice what to eat, perhaps you can increase bean/seed sprouts for the time being. But I wouldn't drop the above veggies/fruits completely, just eat them in moderation. Otherwise you'll be refusing yourself a lot of goodness they give you, and it may not be healthy as well.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables