Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you take the peel off?
Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 29, 2012 06:59PM

When you put them in the blender, do you take the peel off of them? I personally do not in many raw foods such as: mango, papaya, beets, sweet-potato, cucumber and the avocado with the soft green peel (not the hass variety).

Especially in fruits with a green peel, I believe it helps balancing the ph (from what I know fruits are more acidic than alkaline).

~~~
Each inhalation brings the outside world inside and each exhalation brings the inner world outside. You are bridging two worlds. Maintaining your balance you proceed further to the subtler realms ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you take the peel off?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 29, 2012 07:45PM

Mostly; if the peel isn't edible in a non-homogenized state, I assume I am not meant to eat it. Also, it is almost impossible to know whether the peel hasn't come in contact with something on the fruit's long journey that won't harm me, so I consider it a plant's protective armor without which the fruit or whatever is still useful.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 29, 2012 08:57PM

I always peel the fruits skyfeather, and agree with Tam. It's possible that there's some nutrient that's in the skin but not in the fruit, like vit P in citrus rind (I think, so don't quote me). But like Tam said, even with organic you just don't know what's come into contact with the fruit in transit.

With vegies I'm not so strict, but I do wash them thoroughly, and even use a rough scouring pad for carrots etc.

Skins can be quite bitter, such as pawpaw skin, but I've no idea what avo skin is like!!! Do the skins blend up ok?

jalan

Date: July 30, 2012 12:10AM

Correction:
SkyFeather ~
I personally do not in many raw foods
I meant I personally do so in many raw foods

The peel from the soft avocados are just fine. The blenders have no issues blending these skins, as they work with much harder to process foods such as carrots and sweet-potatoes.
I wash only the beets and sweet-potatoes. I put the rest just as I buy them, aiming to get some raw B12 as well. Perhaps I am taking some risks doing so, but uhm.. I started doing so many months ago and nothing happened so far. Well for anyone reading: don't try this at home winking smiley

~~~
Each inhalation brings the outside world inside and each exhalation brings the inner world outside. You are bridging two worlds. Maintaining your balance you proceed further to the subtler realms ~

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 30, 2012 12:49AM

See, I wouldn't peel the potatoes, sweet or regular, because that's where they do have a lot of nutrients. But I can get these crops locally and thus minimally handled. Tropical fruits, on the other hand--goodness knows what's made contact with them, so their peels I can live without!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 30, 2012 03:26AM

Sky Feather, that nothing happened so far is great, but the problem if it does happen there is a big chance it may be your last: some bacteria are deadly you wouldn't have the time to blink. Why not take a simple supplement of B12, clean safe and with much less guesswork involved?

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 30, 2012 09:38AM

Don't believe that mistake i have done! The first post is ok, I DO take the peel off. Sorry for the confusion! sad smiley

chat, I don't like taking supplements. Plus I don't trust them, don't know what in fact is in there whatsoever.. FDA is backing pharmaceuticals and the big money, getting rich from selling drugs to "fight" man-made diseases. In the same time that every disease is cured by the raw food and you have the FDA raiding organic food stores and crops..
Behind all the big pharmaceuticals that support the drug industry and these supplements there is much dirt. In the long run, I am convinced that these are the last guys on earth that would care for my well-being..
There is much to be exposed in the time to come. There is huge cover up in many factors of our lives.
Only the nature/natural heals.

~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 09:42AM by SkyFeather ~.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 31, 2012 02:35AM

I couldn't have said it better, totally agree skyF smiling smiley

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 31, 2012 05:01AM

Surely every disease is not cured by raw food. And supplements have labels on them indicating what's inside? I mean you may not understand it when you read it, but rather than being scared off an alternative is simply to go and look it up, what those scientific terms mean.

Whereas if you eat a veg no matter how local, unless of course you've grown it yourself, then it's clearly no way of knowing what this veg came in contact with *whatsoever*. I can pretty much see the guy employed to pick and pack this veg going to the toilet and not washing his hands. Would I want to eat such veg without thoroughly washing it first? No thank you very much, I'd rather take the supplementsmiling smileysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 05:02AM by chat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables