Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic in-shell pine nuts
Posted by: rawne ()
Date: August 12, 2012 10:41PM

Anyone know of an online source?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic in-shell pine nuts
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2012 11:44PM

Here's some info on varieties of edible pine nuts:

[www.ehow.com]

This looks like a good source for unshelled pine nuts:

[pinenut.com]

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: August 13, 2012 06:23PM

rawne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know of an online source?

Those will be hard to find. I don't think Pine Nuts are meant
for Human consumption.
It's a consensus with many that all nuts are too concentrated in nutrients
for Humans.
Share your views with us......WY

Posted by: chat ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:14PM

Pine nuts in shell remind me of childhood, when my dad used to bring whole cones full of nuts. It was super exciting extracting nuts from the cone, and them from the shell. I imagined I was a squirrelsmiling smiley

I should have a look whether cones are available to buy these days. I forgotten about them, with pine nuts available already shelled!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 07:17PM by chat.

Date: August 13, 2012 07:51PM

WY,
Consumed occasionally & in minute quantities, I think nuts/seeds can have a useful place in the human diet.
In nature, there are nuts/seeds we are able to crack open without the use of extraneous tools.
rawne

Date: August 14, 2012 12:33AM

Thanks Tamukha but not organic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2012 06:53PM

Whee! That link was full of goodness! Am having a hard time not ordering every kind of pine nut, there were so many!

How is a pine tree not organic, exactly? They grow in the wild, I doubt anybody is putting chemicals on them. Not any more than are already in the air and water anyhow.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 16, 2012 08:57PM

pine nuts to me are cost prohibitive compared with other nuts. Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, greevbacks, brazil, macademia and cashew all cost less. And the walnuts, pistachios and almonds have excellent health profiles.

Mediterranean pine nuts as opposed to those grown in China are higher in protein but at $30+ per pound, keep em.

Paul

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 17, 2012 11:27AM

Um, Paul, "greevbacks"? Heh?

I saw a package of Mediterranean pine nuts at the local Meijer; they are processed by a Michigan company so I felt duty bound to consider them. Then I noticed the price sticker--holy cow! They're cheaper by the pound at the local Italian import store, so I can buy a couple of tablespoons at a time if I need them without breaking the bank. When I was doing gourmet raw, I very quickly learned that most recipes call for way more pine nuts than are necessary, and thus, can made more cost effective by substituting almonds for part of the pine nuts.

coco,

That site IS fascinating--I had no idea of the many varieties of pine nuts. More stuff they didn't teach us in cooking school! smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:59PM

Tamara,

That one was there to make sure you were paying attention! winking smiley Sorry, when I said keep em, I meant don't buy em. The Mediterranean pine nuts are higher in protein, less greasy and longer more torpedo shaped than their China or Asian raised cousins and more expensive. We've had discussions on this on the Fuhrman board. Excellent protein source, tastes great, just not cost effective. Hemp hearts work much better. jmo.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2012 07:26PM

Oh yes, absolutely, hemp heart pesto, yum yum yum!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables