Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cellulite woes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 23, 2006 11:10PM

Hello everyone. I've been 75% raw and totally sober for about six months now, and the pounds have simply slid off my body as if unnecessary winter clothing. I exercise daily and am very happy with my body image, however, I have noticed a dramatic increase in the appearance of cellulite on my stomach and thighs. I don't know if the excess skin is just loose (I've lost 15 pounds and am at a healthy, muscular 120 now). Has anyone else expereienced this with raw weight loss, and does anyone know of any unique foods and/or supplements that help with the problem? I am not about to spend $50 on a tube of anti-cellulite cream from procter & gamble, but I am interested in eradicating the problem naturally. Any input? Thanks! Amy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cellulite woes
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 24, 2006 12:00AM

>am not about to spend $50 on a tube of anti-cellulite cream from procter & gamble,

It wouldn't work anyway. Those topicals don't solve the problem. All they can do is pull the skin tight to make it look a little less worse. Usually they have caffeine or related compounds as actives.

Cellulite is pretty natural. Almost every female has it. But if you want to limit yours, you'll have to get your bodyfat down even further. This could have adverse consequences on your fertility and your bones, however, if your bodyfat gets too low.

My lowest was 14%, at which point I was extremely lean. This required about an hour in the gym every day lifting weights and about a half hour of jogging every day. I still had a little bit on my rear end. But none visible on thighs. People complained that my t&a had virtually disappeared. I was told I was better looking by most when I was fatter.

I was still menstruating at that level. But 14% bodyfat might be too low for most women. Everyone is different.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: October 24, 2006 04:27AM

Hi Amy.

I don't know what your raw diet is, but I noticed a while back that when I ate certain foods, even though they were "healthy" and "raw", I would get huge amounts of cellulite on my body. I think all women's body's are different metabolically and what works for one woman may not work for another. For instance, I cannot eat any avocados on a regular basis, or cashews, or olives. When I ate avocados regularly like many women on this board do, I had *disasterous* looking cellulite on my thighs and behind. Same for when I ate cashews every day in salads and snacks. So I took them out of my diet, added lots of wheatgrass juice daily to detoxify the fats out of my legs, and after a while the cellulite diminshed and I looked lean and and liked my thighs and ass again.
See if there are certain heavier fats that you eat regularly, daily or in quantity and maybe think about tweaking your diet for a while and eliminate them to see if the cellulite calms down or breaks down. What I did was limit my fats to only seeds and flax oil - no nuts, no coconut oil, and *no* avocado for about 3 weeks. A "cellulite cleanse" so to speak. smiling smiley

i breathe in
i breathe out
love
peace
courage
Bikini

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 24, 2006 07:26AM

Hi Srascal! What is your typical daily raw diet? Can you give a breakdown of what and how much you eat a day?

Date: October 24, 2006 08:19AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My lowest was 14%, at which point I was extremely
> lean. This required about an hour in the gym every
> day lifting weights and about a half hour of
> jogging every day. I still had a little bit on my
> rear end. But none visible on thighs. People
> complained that my t&a had virtually disappeared.
> I was told I was better looking by most when I was
> fatter.
>

Yeah, gotta have my T&A.

I always tell me girlfriend that I love her "essential fatty acids". smiling smiley

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:37PM

david wolfe mentions a 3 day grapefruit juice cleanse.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 24, 2006 10:43PM

part of the visibility of cellulite is probably from the rapid weight loss. and part of what i've noticed is that before i lose a large fat store, especially an older one (re-outer thigh fat), it gets really soft and annoying. then it's gone. i'm not sure what that is, but somehow, the softer fat isn't as permanent on my frame.

Bikini has a point- some foods don't help with the appearance. for me it's avocados, bananas, and a lot of the nuts. and for a while, greens and salads didn't do well with me. the more cautious i was about cellulite, and slimness, the more i leaned toward fruits only. they left me much cleaner, and therefore the cellulite was not prominent.

cellulite is also from the outer layer of skin being not tight and hydrated. drink a lot of water. the strenght in the outer layer hides the fat. that's why some people can have soft curves, and not cellulite.

and the obvious, exercise. but it's not so much the amount of fat, as it is how healthy your fat and skin are. give it time. it will change as your body adjusts, and as your own diet and life change.

peace-
Mama Cass

Date: October 25, 2006 01:34PM

Hello everyone and thanks for your posts! My daily diet consists of Lou Corona's lemon ginger blast with pineapple or grapes (love it), always an avocado (how did you know, Bikini?) or a tbsp of flax seed oil to get my fats, a salad or a handful or carrots depending on my time, Renew Life fiber cleanse, a massive amount of water and tea, and usually a lightly cooked vegetable stir fry at night (to appease my husband) or another salad for dinner. Seeing myself write that out, it looks like I need more raw, more roughage. Maybe that is the problem. I do yoga every morning, bike vigorously two miles to and from work daily, and try to do laps whenever possible. I have a beer maybe once a week. I am not sure of what my body to fat ratio is, like Arugula, but I do know that I am not overly skinny.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's posts - I am glad that other women especially experience this problem even on a raw diet! I live in Key West and Fantasy Fest is going on right now, and there are mobs of people walking around naked....every woman over 18 has cellulite (I am sure I saw well over a 200 naked/body painted women last night alone - welcome to a free body review!). I will tell you that Key West has and always has a inordinate amount of skinny, beautiful people, but when Fantasy Fest descends and middle America comes down here with their weight problems openly and joyfully displayed, it is certainly an eye opener. I am 30 and always assumed that cellulite was directly correlated to pure body fat, but this last weight loss occurence, I was beginning to think that cellulite was simply an age related thing...hopefully it's just avocados!

Cellulite is very obviously a problem that plagues everyone and, yes, I am aware that we as a culture spend millions each year on useless creams and pills. I will take Mama Cass's advice and keep working on my diet, expecting the best.

Amy

Date: October 25, 2006 02:35PM

Working out with weights combined with a low fat diet will alleviate cellulite. Even when I am very thin, I am plagued by cellulite. Working out with weights absolutely dissolves those blumpy cottage-cheesy bulges. Adding muscle will cause your excess skin to "grab on" to the muscle and you wont be flapping in the wind! I am not talking about huge muscles either. Just enough to give you strenth, energy, and vitality is enough to do the job that I am describing.
Love, Melissa

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: October 25, 2006 03:46PM

uh wait til ya hit menopause!!!

kidding.
truth is
if i hadn't been
high raw all these years
i'd likely be 50% cellulite
as opposed to the 17%
that
i am

persimmongirl for now
50 1/2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables