Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

25 Super Fruits You Should Know
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:31PM

I found this very well done for a mainstream article. Seeing that dragonfruit cut open, I am beyond intrigued and on a mission to buy one this weekend in Chinatown, if possible!

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 25 Super Fruits You Should Know
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 15, 2012 11:06PM

Let us know what you think of dragonfruit. I've never had any. They describe it as mild. But it looks wild!

Aren't the colors of fruit GORGEOUS!!!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 15, 2012 11:34PM

Trive,
I love dragon fruit. I don't know who describes these things. The one I had was creamy, refreshing, and sweet. I had the reddish purple one, I even like that one better. I don't often see them, and usually kind of pricey, but worth it for a special occation. The last one I had was on my birthday.

Date: August 16, 2012 12:01AM

Well, it's supposed to have fat in it (like cherimoya, which I also haven't tried and durian, which I HAVE tried but found a bit...unusual...) so that intrigues me, too! I will post an update if it comes to pass.

Date: August 16, 2012 01:25AM

Banana who,
I can't imagine it being loaded with fat. I heard that about cherimoya also, but I never experienced it was being over the top with fats.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 16, 2012 02:04AM

Too mild for me but maybe not ripe enough

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: August 16, 2012 11:57AM

Thanks banana who for posting this. I certainly learned a few things I just didn't know like green grapes and strawberries can whiten your teeth. Who knew?

I was suprised that mangosteens weren't there but they maybe don't qualify though the flavour alone should make them food for the soul! I thought goji berries might be there too, but alas, not so.

I hope you find a dragonfruit, banana who. They are pricey but are so beautiful it is a spiritual kind of indulgence. I've always found them to have a subtle taste that kind of grows on me.

Mislu! You have given me an awesome idea!! I'm a little frugal at times because I hate to pay $5 for a single fruit - the price of dragonfruit wherever I've shopped but a birthday gift is a completely novel thought I hadn't even considered. I will now though!

Date: August 16, 2012 04:25PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Banana who,
> I can't imagine it being loaded with fat. I heard
> that about cherimoya also, but I never experienced
> it was being over the top with fats.

I did not say 'loaded' but just that it had fat. I am not fat-phobic, are you? I think fat in a fruit is very intriguing because you can use it as an icecream without having to add any fat. I know there is frozen durian; have you ever had that? I have had the fresh stuff a couple of times.

Date: August 16, 2012 04:30PM

Mislu, what does it taste like? It looks so purty!

Date: August 16, 2012 11:20PM

Banana who,
I don't think of myself fat phobic. I am not afraid to eat an entire avocado in one sitting if I am in the mood. It kind of pushes my buttons to hear people say bad things about avocado because "it has fat" or 'it makes me fat'. The last time I heard that was from this woman eating a plate of french fries.

I read something similiar in a magazine, I think primarily aimed at women. It was saying how delicious cherimoyas are, but that they are for annual treat because they are fattening. Or caloric or something like that. I tried one and didn't experience any of those things. I sometimes wonder where people get these things.

Dragonfruit kind of reminded me of a really good gourmet sorbet, but warm. But leaves you refreshed and for the better after eating one. Ice cream or sorbet leaves me with an awful film on my teeth, and nasty internal sensation. Not so with dragonfruit. I just think that NO gourmet chief could duplicate a good dragonfruit.

Raw4ever,
I spent around $14 for a fresh dragonfruit. It was an exceptionally large one, so that is why it was expensive. It was so good. It was in a small town food coop, and I was surprised they even had it, but as expensive as it was it was cheaper than getting a plane ticket to SE asia to get one.

Date: August 17, 2012 09:20AM

Wow Mislu, $14? And I thought $5 was a lot. Well, this discussion has spurred me to have a go at another dragonfruit. Why not? I really enjoy the subtle flavour. They are quite available around here; I think it's because we have a fairly significant asian population. Yep! I'm in. Today's the day for a treat.

Date: August 17, 2012 05:41PM

The Storm: Can you eat the seeds? Ah...it's a bit of a let-down to imagine the flavor of an apple. I love apples--don't get me wrong. But I really love exotic fruits. I LOVE the taste of a properly ripe mango. One of my very fave fruits.

One thing which came to mind was what about FIGS? I have been eating them lately and I can't imagine their not making the top 25 for nutrtional value!

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: August 17, 2012 06:37PM

Thanks for posting this list, BW! I'm adding 4 fruits to my weekly shopping list that ive had before, but dont eat often. And I'm resolved to try dragon fruit & papaya too. Can't wait really - its like a little adventure for my taste buds. smiling smiley

Date: August 17, 2012 06:58PM

Raw Curious, you are very welcome. smiling smiley Never had papaya? I can't remember if you live in UK. I bet there are places in America where people don't get papaya. Lately it's been a bit of a bummer. I am convinced too many of them are being irradiatedsad smiley

Date: August 17, 2012 10:43PM

Raw4ever,
Well, it was in a small town not far from Canada. I have bought some dragonfruit and logans etc in vancouver of good quality, and much less price than the $14. This was a special treat, and we didn't feel like taking a drive. The quality of the fruit was very good, and I don't remember if it was supposed to be organic or not.

The typical person in that town would never spend that much on a single fruit, unless it was a large melon or something. Most of the people actually lived mostly on top ramen and doughnuts, hamburgers etc... and think nothing of it.

Date: August 17, 2012 11:40PM

BW, I live in the states, Georgia. Papaya is available here and I even bought one back in June right after i went raw. But it scared me - it sat on the countertop brazenly taunting me with its thick skin & enormous size. After 2 or 3 weeks it went uncut straight from counter to compost. sad smiley But I'm getting another one on my next trip to market and I'm cutting it as soon as I get home. Just one question - are you supposed to eat the seeds?

Date: August 18, 2012 12:12AM

I have never eaten the seeds, although some people eat them. I found them too unappealing. Some people say they have eaten the skin. Not for me.

Date: August 18, 2012 03:49AM

Thanks Mislu & TheStOrm. Okay, no seeds, no skin. smiling smiley We'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Date: August 19, 2012 02:36AM

Well, I thought I'd buy some dragonfruit but they had seen better days so I'll just have to wait till a new batch comes in.

As for papaya seeds, my wife grew up with papayas and she eats the seeds and thinks I'm a wimp because I don't care for them. I tried but they're a little too peppery for my taste. She also grew up eating mangoes complete with the skins but my throat doesn't handle that well at all. In fact, when I remove the flesh, I have to stay away from getting too close to the skin or it burns my throat.

Date: August 19, 2012 03:30AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> eh, no you don't eat papaya seeds lol. But they
> can be used against parasites or dried as an
> alternative for black pepper tongue sticking out smiley

Well, that would be eating them, then.

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: August 20, 2012 09:11PM

hmmm have never tried them, but my friend here gets them for free! smiling smiley i've got 3 on the counter now

Date: August 20, 2012 09:19PM

iamwhatiam Wrote:
> hmmm have never tried them, but my friend here
> gets them for free! smiling smiley i've got 3 on the counter
> now

Where are you from??! Can I PM you my address?winking smiley

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: August 21, 2012 08:52PM

live in hawaii winking smiley

Date: August 23, 2012 11:41PM

iamwhatiam Wrote:
> live in hawaii winking smiley

Lucky duck! Papayas must be plentiful and on the cheap?

Date: September 02, 2012 03:25PM

Well, I found a dragonfruit for a mere $5 so I bought it and what a treat but how do I describe the taste?

It isn't especially sweet, has a certain mellow flavour to it and has a magnetic quality about it that pulls me back in for the next bite! I don't even know to what I could compare the texture. Lots of seeds and usually, that turns me off but not in this case. Hmmmm.

Perhaps I am delusional but it seems that it gives me a noticable energetic lift, kind of that proverbial warm fuzzy feeling all over...wishful thinking?? It might be.

Date: September 07, 2012 08:18AM

Mislu, we mentioned the price of dragonfruit. I bought one yesterday for $2.50! That is the cheapest I have ever seen them priced. Woohoo!

Banana who, that question of eating papaya seeds - I watched Aris Latham on You Tube and he eats them too. I've never tried to post a link here but I'll do it, not so much to see him eat papaya seeds but just to enjoy his enthusiasm for raw food.

[www.youtube.com]

And as an aside, I showed this video to someone at work. Before I did, I told them how healthy he looks. When they saw him, their comment was that he looks evil!

Evil??

Someone once told me the same thing when they looked at a pic of Arnold Ehret. I couldn't believe it.

So apparently, healthy looks evil to some people. That's scary!!

Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:02PM

Dragon Fruit flowers
"The round flowers are the size of dinner plates, with a sweet smell that appeals to bats and moths. Their wide, cupped shape is thought to reflect the signals of hungry echo-locating bats more than other flower structures."

[www.kew.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Here's an idea: Turn the attic of your abode into a green house full of Dragon Fruit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables