Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Curious about calcium
Posted by: chat ()
Date: August 26, 2012 10:10AM

Thats nice to know about silica! I too noticed my calcium consumption being low in cronometer, together with zinc so I got the supplements for those two promptly. About calcium in food, it appears there are differences in levels of bioavailability there too. For example, both broccoli and spinach are rich in calcium, but our body can absorb about half of the calcium present in broccoli, and only around 5% of the calcium in spinach.

The above example is from wiki, I haven't had a chance to look into it further yet, but I started eating broccoli every day, and spinach only occasionallysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:34AM

Chat
I thought I would be clever and read up on oxalic acid. I found this very dry long winded study on calcium and various vegetables. May not prove anything, outdated? (1939) Also cooked food study on rats. Do rats naturally consume spinach? or vegetables in general? I think their natural diet is mostly seeds? So how did they get them to eat cooked vegetables? I can see how some disfavor reviewing nutritional research.

[jn.nutrition.org]

I found another article which states that iron absorption is improved with oxalates, can it do the same for calcium?
[jn.nutrition.org]

If anyone can read the article in full and find faults, perfections, insight etc...let me know!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 27, 2012 06:03PM

How can we possibly believe that edible veggies would be harmful for us and that we would have to limit them? I repeat the info given by Norman Walker that RAW oxalic acid is not harmful for the body. Makes sense and I will not worry about it.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 27, 2012 06:08PM

Oxalic acid is mainly only of issue in those that have gallbladder, liver or kidney issues, anyone with the above should not consume large amounts of oxalic acid containing foods.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables