Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Good healthy hair
Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 07, 2012 03:55AM

Which minerals, vitamins, foods are good for hair? I've always had a bit of a problem here, my hair grows very fast but I also lose it. Not in a sense of becoming bald as I have a lot of hair! but in a sense that every time I brush it there is some hair on the brush, more than would seem normal.

And I noticed that perhaps it is a little bit worse now that I'm raw. So Im wondering what would be the best thing to do. I already take zinc supplement, and general vitamins too (raw one women formula), but is there something that is specifically good for hair? Or,alternatively, bad for it, so that we could avoid it?

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good healthy hair
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 07, 2012 06:09AM

I had a neighbor who had really pretty hair and I told her and she said she took 1000 mgs. of Inositol (a b vitamin) a day.

I also think having enough Iodine in your diet helps. I also soak head to toe in a rinse bath of povidone iodine. I think it has done a lot of my hair and scalp.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 07, 2012 09:57AM

I like nettle leaf because its a good nutritive tonic herb which supports the adrenal and thyroid glands which are a common cause of thinning hair if functioning poorly. Nettle leaf contains many nutrients that are good for hair such as B complex vitamins, silica, iodine and other minerals. Nettle supports the liver which is good for hormonal balance, which in turn is good for hair.

Kelp is good as again its a good source of silica and other trace/ultra trace elements which aren't common in diet or are deficient.

Fo-ti root is a good herb, especially for reversing graying hair.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 07, 2012 03:18PM

Thanks, powerlifer--as always, great advice smiling smiley

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:53PM

powerlifer, is nettle root also good in conjunction with nettle leaf? i saw a youtube of someone recommend both, though i forget the reason why. something to do with dht/testosterone.

Date: September 08, 2012 06:58AM

rufio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer, is nettle root also good in
> conjunction with nettle leaf? i saw a youtube of
> someone recommend both, though i forget the reason
> why. something to do with dht/testosterone.

It really depends rufio, if the hair loss is due to excessive levels of DHT(dihydrotestosterone) like in the case of male pattern baldness then nettle root may be of use due to its aromatase inhibiting properties.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 08, 2012 10:08AM

Thanks guys for your suggestions about iodine and nettle, I'm gonna make sure I have plenty in my diet. I already have various seaweeds stashed in my cupboard, and put a pinch of one or the other with most meals.

About nettle, would one want to eat it raw (add it to salads for example), or would nettle tea work as well?

I also heard that it is stimulating for the scalp to rub some sea salt in while washing your hair, live it a bit and then wash the salt off, and don't apply any shampoo after (basically use shampoo before the salt). Not sure if it's true that it is good for hair, but some of it makes sense for example antiseptic properties of sea salt should be beneficial for scalp, and also it becomes a sort if a massage for the scalp! But then what about drying properties of sea salt, as in making the hair dry afterwards..

Date: September 08, 2012 10:31AM

Nettle is ok as a tea/infusion, i say ok because the heat will destroy some of the vitamin content but the minerals will be fine. I prefer to use powders in most cases.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 10:31AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 09, 2012 06:20AM

powerlifter

do they just dry the leaf before they powderize it though?
or is it heated?
i can never tell

manufacturing companies seem to love to heat everything they get their hands on
especially if it ends up in a bottle or a package

just wondering

Date: September 09, 2012 06:50AM

The best way is to dry it yourself, depending on location nettle is often the easiest thing to get your hands on (just step outside and look around!) The only thing I think it is better to collect nettle in early spring, when the plant is young.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: September 11, 2012 04:45PM

The basic ingredients in any hair vitamins would be silica, sulfer, biotin,copper. Lack of iron and protein can cause hair loss too. Horsetail and nettle leaf internally are also great.
Topically, I find henna to be the best hair strenghtner ( there are color-less versions). Not a hair falls out after the treatment. Also burdock oil, castor oil, and rosemary work great for hair. I mix burdock and castor oil 50/50 and add some drops of rosemary essential oil. Works great for strenghtnening and stimilutaing new hair growth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 04:46PM by littlemermaid.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:25PM

May I also add that B12 isufficiency may be linked with hair problems too.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2012 06:02PM

All of the adrenal and thyroid rebalancing I've been attending too (with bitters, adaptogens, various supplements) has had a beneficial impact on my hair. I've got some sparklies (grey) but it's healthy and strong and no longer thinning as it was post-pregnancy. Looks good smiling smiley.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 18, 2012 03:04AM

Scalp massage

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables