Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New Vegan Superfood - High Vitamin B12 Content
Posted by: truth1977 ()
Date: September 08, 2012 02:27AM

In my never ending search for true, raw & vegan sources of B12, I came across this interesting plant: Hydrilla Verticillata

Some info including a nutritional chart here: Hydrilla Verticillata - The Healers Store

According to the information on that page it has 425 mcg of B12 in a single tablespoon and its raw and vegan... that's quite a bit of B12 to my understanding.

Thinking about getting a bottle and trying it out. Seems to be quite interesting. Always up for a new superfood.

Has anyone tried it??

Truth

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Vegan Superfood - High Vitamin B12 Content
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 08, 2012 07:00AM

I would suspect being an aquatic plant that the b12 is in analog form like found in chlorella and other sea vegetables.

Still interesting though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 08, 2012 11:45PM

looks interesting. I thought that B12 was only created by bacteria in a cobalt environment, but I am open to new ideas.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 09, 2012 03:23AM

Thank you truth 1977 for sharing. A very impressive source of a number of vitamins and minerals. That is a lot of b12, and I hope that is a bioactive form.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 09, 2012 06:18AM

why not just take b-12 sublingual tablets?

its 83,333% DV ... the good ones

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: September 09, 2012 06:29AM

Question: do b-12 analogues (such as the ones found in spirulina) INHIBIT uptake of real b-12? Just something that crossed my mind the other day...

Date: September 11, 2012 12:00AM

I don't think inhibit, rather compete with real b12.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:19AM

So wouldn't loading up on analogues be a moderately-detrimental-to-possibly-bad idea?

Say I put some spirulina in my smoothie and then pop a B-12 supplement. Would that being an analogue interfere with absorption of B-12? Would I absorb more from my supplement by abstaining from spirulina?

I have no idea if any tests were ever run for something like this. B-12 supplements (though I never bloodtested as low) helped slightly with my panic attacks. I was obviously doing SOMETHING wrong, so now I'm just wondering about everything. I ate a lot of "b12" foods that were really analogue foods (seaweeds, etc.)... I still have a huge tub of spirulina that I indulge from time to time, maybe I should continue in wise moderation?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 11, 2012 02:26PM

It's an interesting finding on the hydrilla. The problem is that even if the b-12 is bioactive and increases serum b-12 in people who eat it, that isn't a reliable way to tell if the B-12 is doing its job. [www.veganhealth.org]. Rather, if eating hydrilla will help to lower methyl malonic acid (MMA) levels in B-12 deficient people eating it or if it will lower homocysteine, that looks promising. [www.veganhealth.org]

Personally, I stay away from spirulina because of the risk it poses from nerve and liver toxins.

[nutritionfacts.org]
[nutritionfacts.org]
[nutritionfacts.org]

Date: September 12, 2012 01:58AM

pborst,
Great I just ordered some spirulina. I had tried it before, and noticed it did help a lot with memory and general health. Is the toxicity factor way overblown? I mean most vegetables have some sort of toxicity, some more than others. So there is never anything that is actually totally harmless to everyone.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 12, 2012 09:09AM

I feel Dr Gregor has cherry picked a few studies on this issue and the majority of the studies suggest that spirulina is beneficial.

All algae and sea vegetables have the potential for contamination, it largely depends where they are grown and the quality. As such it is always best to go with Organic and trusted suppliers as you would any food.

Another thing is to avoid algae in which we know is grown in toxic areas such as Blue Green Klamath lake algae, despite the manufacturers claiming the lake is pristine and clean, it is anything but the sort. Klamath lake algae has shown in numerous studies to contain nervous system and liver damaging microcystins.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 09:10AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 12, 2012 02:48PM

I don't think Greger would disagree that spirulina has possible benefits. In fact in the first video he stipulates this and provides the citations. The question is risk to benefit.

What concerns me about spirulina is the 3 types of risks presented: 1) muscle breakdown, 2) liver cancer, 3) neurotoxicity. If you could find an organic supplier of spirulina who quality checks it for these toxins, that would be different. For sea vegetables, I know hijiki is high in arsenic and should be avoided. I've heard that kelp may be too high in iodine. Otherwise, I've heard that sea vegetables can help detoxify our tissues of toxins and radiation.

I agree with your points about an organic supplier and avoided known contaminated sources like Klamath lake algae.

Date: September 15, 2012 04:13PM

Well I know this is anecdotal, but I have noticed benefit from taking the Hydrilla. I personally choose to avoid synthetic vitamin supplements if at all possible, so finding a plant like Hydrilla with high levels of Vitamin B12 is a godsend.

By the way, Hydrilla is a rooted algae, meaning it has access to the nutrients found in the soil, which is why it is able to absorb so much B12-- which is typically found in soils.

-Truth

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 15, 2012 06:29PM

Something does not seem right, so much soul searching, or should I say b12 searching !!!

Things should be naturally simpler, yesterday it was spirulina, now Hidrilla, what is next? Baratulila?, GodB12tulila??

It should be simpler to get b12 naturally without going to the other end of the earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2012 06:40PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 16, 2012 02:32PM

hydrilla verticillata, My goldfish swears by it!
I thought the name sounded familiar, and it looks just like what was in her aquarium. (she died, but at least she had access to a vegan superfood before then!)

apparently its difficult to control once established. [www.ehow.com]

[www.bing.com]

I have never heard of anyone eating this plant fresh, does anyone make salads out of it?

Date: September 18, 2012 03:59PM

Mislu,

I have not taken it fresh, but rather as a powder. A handful of companies seem to be selling it. There are some scientific studies that have been done using it as a fortification for animal feed with interesting results. Essentially in chickens, it gave them stronger, healthier eggs and stuff like that

So far I am really enjoying it and I definitely feel better than I did before starting it. Helps keep me regular : )

Truth

Posted by: HH ()
Date: September 18, 2012 04:41PM

No one knows at this point whether or not the B12 in hydrilla is bio-available.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: September 18, 2012 04:42PM

Can you recommend some safe products?

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel Dr Gregor has cherry picked a few studies
> on this issue and the majority of the studies
> suggest that spirulina is beneficial.
>
> All algae and sea vegetables have the potential
> for contamination, it largely depends where they
> are grown and the quality. As such it is always
> best to go with Organic and trusted suppliers as
> you would any food.
>
> Another thing is to avoid algae in which we know
> is grown in toxic areas such as Blue Green Klamath
> lake algae, despite the manufacturers claiming the
> lake is pristine and clean, it is anything but the
> sort. Klamath lake algae has shown in numerous
> studies to contain nervous system and liver
> damaging microcystins.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables