Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Balcony vegie patch
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:52PM

I've only a small balcony attached to my unit (12'7" wide x 4'8" deep) which faces east and the open ocean. I've contemplated trying to grow a few vegies, such as tomatoes and a few others.

However, while I get the morning sun, by 10.30 - 11am the shade has taken over completely. I was wondering if anyone has a balcony vegie patch, and if so, what do you grow? I'd imagine that you would have a similar problem with a lack of full sun, but there must be varieties that don't need it and can thrive in half sun or hopefully less.

Can you help?

jalan smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balcony vegie patch
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 11, 2012 04:36PM

You might try hydroponics..which I know nothing about..except maybe from Star Trek showssmiling smiley

Did you also post in the forum for Sprouting and Organic Gardening? That forum has a whole other life! Lots of good info. there.

Good luck!

Love,
Prism

Date: September 12, 2012 08:32PM

Thx Prism I'll try it too smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2012 06:05PM

Have you got some sunny windows? How about a window farm? I would opt for glass rather than plastic containers myself but that will add some weight to the set up. Still, worth taking a look at. Seems like you could supplement light with a grow bulb during shady times too.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:37PM

Thx Coco,didn't think of growth bulbs, but I'm looking at simplicity,and I don't have any viable windows that face the correct direction.

Do toms require full sun?

jalan x

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 20, 2012 10:38AM

Lettuces do great in shady areas are fast to grow and take up little space if you are cutting constantly smiling smiley
[m.instructables.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 20, 2012 04:15PM

The hydroponic link's really cool jodi, thx smiling smiley but think I'll try growing lettuce and toms in earth in pots on my balcony first.

jalan

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 20, 2012 07:32PM

Yes, tomatoes require a lot of sun, but greens like the shade.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: September 20, 2012 08:24PM

I have a mini garden on the balcony. I do get the sun for maybe 5 hours a day. So I planted tomatoes, but being on the 2nd floor I did't get that many bees to pollinate the plants. So from 2 very robust big tomato plants I maybe got like 5-6 tomatoes this summer smiling smiley Greens are perfect though - kale, lavander, parsley, cilantro, and my all time favorite basil. Basil is my favorite, because it grows fast, like weed, and all you need to do is just cut off the tops of the plants for cooking, without damaging the entire plant, and it grows out new branches by the next week. I have a small bush of strawberries too that gives me about 10 strawberries per season smiling smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 21, 2012 12:00AM

Don't even bother with the balcony, just grow them inside.

Foods You Can Grow in the Comfort of Your Home

[www.wisebread.com]

(And sprouts, of course)

10 Unique Garden Containers and Techniques

[www.wisebread.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 21, 2012 07:38AM

yer welcome jalan dear smiling smiley i just thought maybe in yer limited space you might wanna explore some verticle possibilies smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 21, 2012 09:10AM

Haha, well they do look pretty cool hangin' in the window jodi, so who knows, I might try a couple or three for fun smiling smiley

Ok, so thx you beautiful people...tomatoes are out, but there seems to be plenty of the 'green' variety I can grow, even inside it seems. Interesting, but I'd prefer to grow on the balcony given the choice smiling smiley

jalan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables