Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nutraceuticals
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 17, 2012 12:46AM

I recently read about a Nutraceutical, where a plant was provided with supplemental minerals to raise mineral content and overal nutrition of this particular plant. This is exactly my kind of thing. One definition is as follows:

""Food, or parts of food, that provide medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease."
Dr. Stephen DeFelice, Foundation for Innovation in Medicine

Now after looking that up, I feel a little bit of a let down, but I have to give some credit for someone thinking new and different. (I feel a let down because the webpage with the definition mentions transgenic organisms used as nutraceuticals, sounding a little too close to pharma....)

I would love to know if there is a better word and definition for foods raised for ultimate nutrition, but still natural, organic and wholesome. Not necessarily for a specific diagnosis or treatment. I just think that there has to be food raised with a little extra 'magic', for a lack of a better word!

I experimented with raising foods with extra minerals, and I really like the improved vitality, and taste. I finally tested this, because one variety I used as a charatais melon. I finally tested a 'regular' melon and for waterever reason, it was very dull and insipid by comparison. It was 'organic' also, which really surprised me. So, I don't know what to call this new concept, but its kind of beyond organic, and natural, but still within its boundaries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nutraceuticals
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 17, 2012 03:07PM

Huh, I thought "nutraceutical" was traditionally applied to naturally derived supplements and was used to distinguish things like food-based vitamin tablets and isolated cofactor capsules from synthetic pharmaceuticals, Mislu. I suppose the practice of mineral addition to growing medium should have the word "mineral" in it. Mineral-mediated farming, maybe, or agricultural mineral mediation? They'd make easy-to-remember acronyms smiling smiley

When I add Azomite to my growing medium for wheatgrass, it's like a totally different product from azomite-free, so I hope this is a practice that gets legs.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:39PM

Tamukha,
Wow, azomite sounds very special. How is the wheatgrass with azomite different? Do you grow anything else in azomite? I am growing a species of opuntia and experimenting with added minerals. It grows so easily, and its rather popular now as a supplement for health reasons. The other is dandelion, and teff.

Date: September 18, 2012 12:52PM

You sound like a much more capable gardener than I, Mislu! When I add Azomite to the growing medium for wheatgrass, the grass ends up tasting sweet and pleasant, and grows more hardily, it seems to me.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 18, 2012 01:08PM

I know little about gardening really, but can you add kelp and other seaweeds to soil. Im sure ive heard it before, if it worked it would add a large spectrum of trace and ultra trace minerals.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 18, 2012 01:21PM

My African violets are really loving the kelp I add to their water, as long as I don't overwater them, which is a tendency of mine sad smiley

Date: September 18, 2012 09:45PM

well, limited time and space takes its toll on my potential as a gardener.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables