Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pumpkin Season right around the corner ! grinning smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 21, 2012 07:10PM

Hey all I was just telling Tam that last year i got all my friends to save me their kids pumpkin guts (instead of throwing them away as usual) from their pumpkin carvings and I got 2 large coffee cans of dried seeds out of last years haul smiling smiley

Make yer friends save their pumpkin guts for you grinning smiley .. the flesh is great in smoothies and the seeds dried a yummy health winter snack-a-roo smiling smiley

If you cant get around to drying the seeds or using the guts right away throw em in the freezer they still come out great smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pumpkin Season right around the corner ! grinning smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 21, 2012 07:41PM

I wish I didn't find it so hard to cut up pumpkin. I don't have a sharp knife (and won't get one) so I bake acorn and butternut squash with a little water in the bottom of the pan. And the skin slips off easily. If I could find a way to work with pumpkins without needing a sharp knife, I would do it.

(Speaking of anomalies in this year's growing season, I read a local article that there has been only 40% of the usual crop of apples in IL this year. It had something to do with an early warm spell, which caused the buds to form too early and then we had a frost. But they say pumpkins are off the chain this year.)

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 21, 2012 10:06PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't have a sharp knife (and won't get one)

OK, I'll play.

Why won't you get a sharp knife?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 21, 2012 10:57PM

banana who,

"A dull knife is a dangerous knife," we were always told in cooking school. A sharp one is the only safe one, especially for slicing things like winter squashes.

Date: September 22, 2012 12:33AM

hey Bananawho i don't actually cut my pumpkins either except for the one that i put out front with a candle

i actually set mine on a the butcher block an whack it into a few pieces with a sledgehammer smiling smiley then scoop out the meat an seeds with an spoon or ice-cream scooper smiling smiley

channel your inner Gallagher grinning smiley (except not so much force if yer the one cleaning the kitchen up after lol)

you could also do it outside on a peice of plastic i reckon smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 12:34AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:35AM

Those cheap (and fairly dull) pumpkin carving tools you buy in the halloween section actually work pretty well. You saw all the way around it untill you get it in half. Works for acorn, butternut, & spaghetti squash too.

yipee! Pumpkin seeds!

Date: September 22, 2012 09:47PM

I don't have a sharp knife because I had a pretty sharp one once and really cut my finger. I just have peace of mind when I use a duller knife and Tam, it's not dangerous at all. It's not a butter knife but a paring knife. It actually cuts things pretty well, all things considered.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: September 22, 2012 11:38PM

pumpkins-

I grow Kakai pumpkins, a naked seed variety grown for the seed only. I haven't tasted the flesh. The seed has no hulls.

And this year I am growing a winter squash called Musque de Provence that you slice and eat raw. I only have one. It is not ready yet. I probably won't grow it next year. Too long a season for my climate.

Date: September 23, 2012 03:30PM

It seems like people don't really cook fresh pumpkin. When people make pumpkin pie, for instance, they seem to use canned pumpkin. I realize this is a raw forum but I wonder if anyone has ever made pumpkin pie with fresh (cooked) pumpkin.

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: September 24, 2012 03:37AM

I made pumkin pie from a fresh pumkin once many years ago. That was before i knew there was a difference between a carving pumkin & one meant to be eaten. It was a lot of work - carving, chopping, boiling & mashing, but fun. Weird thing is... i've never liked pumkin so I didnt eat even a bite of that pie.

I wonder if I'll learn to like pumkin now that my taste buds have changed? Anybody know any good raw pumpkin recipies?

Date: September 24, 2012 02:13PM

banana who,

About every other year, I'll buy a pie pumpkin in October and make my own pumpkin puree(which I then freeze) from it for Thanksgiving pie. I plan on doing that this week, actually. There is no comparison to how bright colored and fresh tasting the one with homemade puree is compared to the stuff out of the tin. Even thought they are both cooked, the one from a can truly tastes "dead."

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 24, 2012 03:39PM

Pumpkin curries and soup, woo i love pumpkin and Autumn.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 24, 2012 06:49PM

omg Bananawho I did the exact same thing but mine came out awful I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was so horrible an my mother-in-law at the time asked me what canned mix i used and i said i didn't i made if from real pumpkin an she said oh well THAT'S why ! LOL

and I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan either I do however love pumpkin soup grinning smiley

grinning smiley

Date: September 25, 2012 12:55AM

I love pumpkin pie and usually make a couple on T-giving. I bought a sweet potato pie and that was alright--pretty similar to pumpkin but not exactly the same. I would like to try and make it from fresh pumpkins, but sometimes they say that the carving ones are not edible or something so it gets confusing...

And I also have a RAW pumpkin pie recipe around and will post it as soon as I can. smiling smiley

Date: September 25, 2012 01:06AM

hmm well i hope the carving pumpkins are ok to eat cuz i throw the guts into smoothies lol

Date: September 25, 2012 02:26PM

Carving pumpkins are edible technically, but pie pumpkins are hybridized to be sweeter, less starchy, and more tender, for cooking. Jodi, I'm sure the carving pumpkin guts are fine for smoothies--beta carotene, right? smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables