Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Did you know? (ripening indicator)
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 21, 2012 09:39PM

I thought this was pretty interesting smiling smiley Ima try it out !! grinning smiley

Ripening indicator:

Iodine (I) can be used to determine whether fruit is ripening or rotting by showing whether the starch in the fruit has turned into sugar. For example, a drop of iodine on a slightly rotten part (not the skin) of an apple will turn a dark-blue or black color, since starch is present. If the iodine is applied and takes 2-3 seconds to turn blue/black, then the process has begun but is not yet complete. If the iodine stays yellow, then most of the starch has been converted to sugar.

[en.wikipedia.org]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did you know? (ripening indicator)
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 21, 2012 11:25PM

Interesting Jodi..where did you find that info? I've read tons of stuff about Iodine and never came across that fact. Is there more info. with regard to other fruits?

When I put Iodine on me it turns yellow..must mean I'm sweetsmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 21, 2012 11:48PM

just stumbled across in wiki .. I was trying to find the natural harvest season of breadfruit as i saw some in the grocery store the other day.

and of course yer sweet Prism did you have any doubt? we don't need iodine to tell us that !!! grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 22, 2012 11:13AM

Thanks. I've always wondered about drops of Lugols solution changing colors (ie when touching white paper towel)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 22, 2012 01:06PM

This is fantastic info, Jodi! Now, how to sneak my bottle of iodine into the Meijer . . .

Thanks for posting, Jodi smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables