Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Transition to raw foods
Posted by: Arazor ()
Date: September 22, 2012 04:07PM

Hello everyone, just found this website and i am very happy

Its funny to see or should i say realise how important it is to our health to eat natural foods which are not processed

however im having a few problems trying to transition
i live in the UK
and where i live the market cloest to me which is only open tuesdays thursday and saturdays sells fruit and veg which is most likely sprayed
we only get a farmers market once a month

what im having trouble with is with recipees and the fact when i eat fresh fruit and that i am craving lots of meat and i am still hungry

Money is tight and i just bought a 1100 watts blender/food processor because thats all money would allow

it does a good job blending but i from research i have done it is not braking the cell walls of my greens

atm the smoothies i am starting off with conisist of bannanes, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, apples and kale (out of a bag) spinach (out of a bag) and dandelion which ill pick my self (the leaves for now). Just started adding mangos and melons in there

however all my smoothies taste the same

and when i ahve eaten them again i am craving meat and bad food lol.

I need some advice on what foods i can get, Just found some flax and hemp seeds but i dont know how to go about it
i find alot of greens are dull in taste like cucumber and cellery is disgusting hahah

lettuce is bland and i find with salads i want pasta or chicken in there grinning smiley

so yeah i need some help and guidance on what i can get and how i can chnage things so i can go 100%

thanks for all your help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 04:07PM by Arazor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition to raw foods
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 22, 2012 05:45PM

Arazor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so yeah i need some help and guidance on what i
> can get and how i can chnage things so i can go
> 100%

If you're serious, you have just begun a lifetime journey. If
you're not serious, you have also begun. Many here talk-the-talk, but haven't
yet gotten into walking-the-walk.
My best advice is to vary your Diet until you have 'perfected' the way you eat,
then stick with it without deviation....but be willing to turn-on-a-dime when
you find a better way.
You will find your inner strength can have no limits...or Not......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 05:57PM by WheatgrassYogi.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 22, 2012 09:13PM

Welcome Arazor....It's best if you transition slowly and allow your taste buds to also change, until those foods you thought were bland now have their own unique and tasty flavour.

Try only making a smoothy with two or some of your ingredients, and another with the rest. Blending everything WILL have only one flavour IMO.

Cheers, jalan smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:36AM

i dont know maybe identify what it is about your cravings that you are craving? are you craving the actual flesh of the meat or the savory seasonings that go along with it smiling smiley

sometimes i toss slices of zuchini with some help oil and montreal steak spice and i get that steak flavor without the steak .. its really the seasoning that sets me off not the actual flesh itself smiling smiley

check out www.goneraw.com ..tons of amazing recipies there smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:25AM

Hi Arazor & welcome to the forum. In addition to missing the savory flavor of meat like Jgunn explained - you might also be craving fat. You can sate that craving be adding a bit of avocado or nuts & seeds into your diet. Substituting a good healthy fat may make transition easier for your body and help you get to a place where you don't miss the meat anymore.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:11AM

Hello, Arazor, and welcome! I second the notion that you should go slowly to allow your palate to adjust to the flavors and textures of raw plant foods. I bung a whole bunch of things into my smoothies, and each one tastes different. I know this is primarily because my body has gotten used to the tastes of individual raw fruits and vegetables, and can detect nuances easily now, whereas before, things were a bit muddier.

It may be possible that you have a pre-existing deficiency in something found in meat, but without knowing what your raw regimen looks like in total, I can't say. A craving for dense animal tissue may be psychological, in which case, one really has to go slowly--maybe just one raw meal per day or half a day raw for a while while increasing volumes of raw fruits and veggies--and to consider why one is trying to do this. What are your reasons? What is your end goal? I don't think it is necessary to be 100% to benefit from raw foodism, but it is important to have a good reason to do it, or your brain will resist the commitment. Try searching the forums here for older threads that you can relate to, and good luck with your journey smiling smiley

Posted by: Arazor ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:46AM

Thankyou smiling smiley

I have been doing that ill make a 1.5 litres of smoothie with 3 fruits and 1 green
Im 21 years old and all my diet has ever consisted of is tap water, weetabixs or alpen or cornflakes or rice kirpsies for breakfast and sometimes sausage bacon and egg. Dinner is usually meat stuff or something out of a packet from supermarket, i.e burgers or lasangne or chicken or spegetti on toast etc etc and then for tea is always something heavy

I noticed when i eat i eat till im full and then im hungry again an hour later, im always hungry but yet i never put on any weight. Im still only 10 stone and i can eat as much as an obese person twice my weight.

One day my brother came to me, he has Aspergers syndrome a form of autism and one of his problems is food phobia. So he started to reaserch about food to try and help him eat more. He told me that the food we are getting is really bad for us and it makes us really tired and causes cancer and all this and that and boggled my head with it. He also told me about our blood PH level being acidic or alkali.

He said if our blood is acidic our chi cannot flow properly and it great breeding ground for nasties. I always found i am very larthergic. Even though im diagnosed as having ADHD (Attention deposit hyperactive disoder) im always tired and dont have any energy or motivation to do anything. My lecturer told me i was lazy and i told him it was my ADHD and he told me its all in your diet all you kids do these days is eat s***.

I never took it on board still i started to reaserch and i found that a healthy vegan diet cures cancer and gives people more life energy and all this. I found this russian bloke who also backed this up and said his diabetes was cured by green smoothies. Then i started to notice how much people benfited with green smoothies and not just that saved alot of money.

So i started to get into it and started to eat fruit. I found that my body hated it, it never filled me up and i craved the foods that where bad for me. I always wanted to eat till i was full or bloated.

I also found out about tap water being bad and having chlorine in it to "clean it" but chlorine melts the lungs in gas state. So i started to buy bottled water and i found that is truggled to eat alot of fruit so i got a blender. It aint high powered about 1.4-1.6 HP and started to mix alot of fruit which tasted horrible. So i started only putting 2-3 in and 1 greens and its quite nice but again they all taste the same and after an hour im really hungry again.

I smoke at the moment, i was hoping that a good diet wopuld make smoking disgusting to me as i do enjoy it and i wanna quit because i wanna be healthy. I want my energy from when i was a child, i want my motivation back in life and stop being larthargic and i wanna feel good and eat light in terms of not filling my sotmach with crap. After finding out what they put into food im disgusted. The checmicals, the salt, all the suger and all the powders and processed rubbish and then i say to myself no wonder im always down.

I feel better now for eating better foods but now i find because of it smoking gives me headache and it leaves horrible tatses in my mouth so me and mrs are gnna stop this monday and im determined to eat more fruit and veg.

I dont wanna give up fresh meat yet from butchers for tea time but for breakfast and dinner i wanna eat good stuff. But what i said min my first post that is the only good stuff i eat. I have started yet on vegatables just leaves and blosoms what i can find and fruit.

But im determined because i wnat my energy again i have so many ambitions and i cant be bothered and i know its my diet now. after some study i found out what we eat affects our brain development and if we eat crap our brains become crap basically. Not to mention the rest of our body. After more reaserch i found how many people have very few health problems and feel great all the time almost

so yeah i am determined, ints not just talking and i dont expect 100% straight away but 70% soon is what im aiming for because itll make a huge differnce in my life and give me what i need to get a heck of alot more done.

Again thanks for all your help smiling smiley.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 23, 2012 01:23PM

If you are in UK then you most certainly have a Sainsbury's or Tesco or similar near where you live, and there you can buy organic fruits and vegetables. Often they will not be local, but if your primary objective is to get food which contains less pesticides, the supermarket organics would be your best bet. I too live in UK and found absolutely no problem being raw and finding organic produce.

About meat, at least red meat (beef, pork, lamb, veal) - just think that it causes cancer. Period. Its been proven and accepted at all levels now, from medical research papers to government advise and everyday media coverage. I've never been vegetarian before starting the raw diet, although i was used to eat meat only very occasionally, but this realization about cancer thing made me stop eating it completely.

Smoking is obviously self-explanatorywinking smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2012 01:29PM

Arazor,

You really sound like "A Man with a Plan," so I have faith that you will succeed with your determination and knowledge and zeal. Just keep slowly increasing your volumes of raw fruits and veggies--make sure your green smoothies are big and don't bolt them down but sip them gradually!--and eventually, your body will adjust and so will your taste buds. And keep in mind that, all the while, you are finally feeding your cells what they have been craving without knowing where to get it. The rest of your system will follow, given time. Good, good luck! smiling smiley

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:33PM

Yes, ditto to what Tam has said. And Arazor, you say a lot that you fill up and are then hungry an hour later. I think that you've stretched your stomach, so try reducing the amount of food you eat at any one sitting. Your stomach will shrink to it's 'normal' size and you'll find that only a sml to med amount of food will fill you and last the whole day almost.

Also, don't forget that Psychology has a lot to do with attaining your goals. But I see from your last post that you are a 'fighter', and you'll never give up. It's normal to take a back step along the way...just make sure that you're still facing forward....and keep on picturing in your mind how you'll feel when you've accommplished your goal to be healthy, fit and full of energy....you'll feel soooo powerful, sooo strong, that you'll be able to do or become anyone or do anything you wish. Take it slow but make it count....

jalan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables