Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tuna
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:34PM

Have you ever? [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 06:35PM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 25, 2012 10:42PM

Don't get the thread title, and no, haven't ever tried nopales. Oddly, in the spring and summertime, even the local Kroger has them. I'd sooner get them from the barrio to try, because they are likely a higher quality. Nopales are generally eaten cooked, FYI, but there are raw relish type salads that use them, you know, with red onion and fresh corn and a limejuice dressing. That actually sound yummy . . .

Date: September 25, 2012 11:41PM

If you read the Wiki entry, Tam, it explains that prickly pear are also called tunas.

I have seen nopales as the flat cactus pads, but this is what I am talking about: [theadventuresoftintin.typepad.com]

I tried it recently and found it to be an interesting flavor. I am not crazy about the large seeds (reminds me of guava) so I came up with an interesting idea: BLENDING them with other things (maybe a green smoothie smiling smiley). Apparently they are medicinal!

Date: September 25, 2012 11:44PM

<<Most species of Opuntia contain a range of alkaloids in variable quantities, such as substituted phenethylamines.[citation needed] Identified compounds that may have biological activity include 3-methoxytyramine, candicine and hordenine, as examples.[citation needed] The Sicilian prickly pear contains betalain, betanin and indicaxanthin, with highest levels in their fruits>> From Wiki

Date: September 26, 2012 02:28PM

Apparently they are medicinal!

Oooh, that sort of language is frowned upon here winking smiley

Date: September 27, 2012 12:58AM

Tam: ??? Please fill me in on that private joke. winking smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 27, 2012 01:53AM

I think Tamukha means we're not allowed to make any medical claims about anything - it's Against the Law and the FDA will come and get you if you do.

[www.fda.gov]

They went after Mercola -

[www.quackwatch.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 27, 2012 02:11AM

No she is referring to my posts
But thanks for the links kidraw

Date: September 27, 2012 03:14PM

fresh for the win, ding-ding!

Still don't understand why "prickly pear" is called tuna in some places; makes no sense.

Date: September 27, 2012 10:46PM

I am just pumped by the idea of putting it in smoothies and it being a stimulant of sorts. Some of them are even psychedelic, man. Like wow...

Date: September 27, 2012 11:56PM

Please check in with us occasionally while trippin', Dead Head Nanners smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 28, 2012 12:32AM

I had a friend from Mexico who loved nopales. She preferred young, small ones because they were more tender and called them nopalitos.

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2012 12:32AM by Trive.

Date: September 28, 2012 01:01AM

Truckin'...Nah, not a huge fan of the tie-dyed Dead. But I found it intriguing that they may be medicinal. I think I'd use them in green smoothies. They have big, edible seeds which remind me of guava. I don't mind seeds but when they are that big they are a little hard to chew.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 28, 2012 07:29AM

heh ! tuna really !? interesting smiling smiley

i suspect the tuna name came long before the fish was named tuna ..

i wonder what came first .. the tuna or the tuna ?grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 29, 2012 06:21AM

if u ever got them out in the wild
you would never forget it
first of all, every little circle you see on those red prickly pears at the store
was a place where fine needles were sprouting out of ( which is why it is a cactus)

if you ever try to eat one in nature
you are asking for trouble ( or adventure)

you have to find a way to knock it off its main plant
then you have to find a way to brush off the needles ( can do it with a knife... but you also have to get a "hold" of a bunch of needles without getting it stuck in you)

so cutting it in half is a good way

you scoop it out

and there are tons of seeds ( so i don't see how you can blend it for a smoothie)

you need to get it when it is a darkly reddish fuschia color otherwise it will just taste like nothing

the flavor is quite mild

there are plenty of seeds to spit out

its definitely not my favorite food to eat

cuz its a real pain to get at them

but it kinda feels like an astonishing accomplishment when you are able to eat one without having your tongue stuck with a thousand needles

you feel absolutely..... uhhmm....

t
r
i
u
m
p
h
a
n
t

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables