Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Smoothies and oxydization?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 29, 2012 07:29PM

What do people think on the issue of oxidization in smoothies? Dr Brian Clements of Hippocrates says that 90% of nutrients are destroyed by the process. Do you agree with this assertion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoothies and oxydization?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 29, 2012 09:23PM

I don't agree, sure i mean if you leave your smoothie for hours it will degrade in nutrient content but to suggest nearly the full nutrient content dissapearing just because of blending i can't see it.

Id love to see some data to support his view if so. Dr Clements also says something like green powders have 90% nutrient loss which we know is not true, sure there not as good as fresh but to suggest they are pretty much worthless in regard to the nutrition they contain is completley false for loads of very stable green powders such as nettle leaf or alfalfa for example.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 09:24PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 30, 2012 02:41PM

No, or I wouldn't derive benefits from it--duh! Maybe Clement is referring to a smoothie left around for a few days? In that case, yes, just like a chopped fruit salad loses Vitamin C as it sits in the fridge, a smoothie would become degraded nutritionally.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 03:13PM

I tend to believe Brian, juices oxidize and loose hormones, oxygen, phytoneutrients and enzymes after about fifteen minutes. When you blend veggies your are super oxidizing them. You cant beat the mouth juicer. There is even a difference between juicers as to the quality of the juice why would there not be an issue with super oxidizing vegies with a blender? does not make sense.

Date: October 01, 2012 03:15PM

Smoothies and juice will degrade nutritionally over time there is no doubting that, especially the more they are exposed to light, heat etc.

But i can't seem to find any information which suggests that blending fruits and vegetables would cause pretty much full nutrient loss, it doesn't make much sense. Where are these nutrients instantly dissapearing to, not through the process of oxidization as surely that would take time through degradation?. Same as for the green powders statement he makes, id love to see some data he is basing this on.

Either way i don't think ill be giving up my smoothies any time soon.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 03:22PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 01, 2012 04:36PM

I'd be dead if that were true.

Date: October 01, 2012 04:54PM

While blending and dehydrating are nice, and I enjoy both, they are far less than optimal. Imagine exposing yourself to a dry blowing 115deg. for 8 to 12 hours and see how you feel. You can be sure Brian has done his homework on the subject.

Date: October 01, 2012 05:07PM

Less than optimal may be true but again where is he getting his data that blending causes 90% nutrient loss.

Brian makes quite a few bold statements like this without giving any sort of evidence to back up these claims, at least that i can find from searching.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 05:11PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 01, 2012 05:36PM

You are not likely to find such knowledge on the net?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 01, 2012 08:09PM

sometimes less then optimal is better then nothing at all smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 02, 2012 10:11PM

Isn't Clement very focused on healing disease? This might be why the focus on the optimal. Healthy folks can probably afford to throw a few nutrients down the drain for the sake of convenience.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:58AM

Don't y'all add frozen fruit or at least ice cubes to the blender when making your smoothies? Keeps the mix cold and that prevents destruction of certain delicate nutrients, Vit. C for one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables