Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sometimes a pic says so much ! grinning smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:01PM

love this !! grinning smiley

(i might ninja this onto a few friends scales including my own lol)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sometimes a pic says so much ! grinning smiley
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 09, 2012 07:04PM

We can be all of these good things and still have our normal natural weight.

Date: October 09, 2012 07:26PM

define normal natural weight? lol ..for who? smiling smiley

its ok if you cant relate to this picture .. some people will some people wont smiling smiley

if i eat whole natural raw foods and dont exercise daily i tend to gravitate to 140-145lbs

if i eat whole natural raw foods and DO exercise daily i tend to gravitate to 120125lbs

so which one is natural?

and what exactly is NATURAL today in our unnatural world?

personally i dont think its natural that i drive 3 hours round trip daily to do accounting work in about as unnatural a place i could possible think of

but i do it because it is my trade and the money finances my gardens, my farm, and my health

im just saying smiling smiley

Date: October 09, 2012 07:38PM

The body will return to its normal natural weight when it is given its natural raw food. We all have different frames, some smaller some bigger but for that frame there is a natural body weight. We are not talking about the added fat from poor eating.
If I am ill and go to the doctor, I want him to tell me what I have, the truth. He can still tell me I am beautiful or that he loves me. That is another issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 07:44PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 09, 2012 07:52PM

so then by your thinking ..without exercise ... my normal natural weight would be 140-145 (and according to bmi calculators this is normal which i do not agree with) i feel far more comfortable at 120-125 but for me that takes exercise. diet alone does not do it

i can tell you .. from 3 years of anatomy, physiology and microbiology that that if you weigh the skeleton of someone who is considered "small framed " say 5'2 and someone who is larger framed .. say 6' and you will not find a huge difference in skeletal weight between the two ..like were talking percentages difference under 10%

so the issue of frame size really is moot ..its whats attatched to all that frame (muscle, fat)

i have to have a giggle aboout this frame size comment as well .. a friend of mine that has always been on the plump size went hard at teh gym all this summer and exclaimed to me .. "i finally got to 130lbs and i always thought i was big boned !" LOL grinning smiley

Date: October 09, 2012 08:04PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I am ill and go to the doctor, I want him to
> tell me what I have, the truth. He can still tell
> me I am beautiful or that he loves me. That is
> another issue.

OH! but the scale is telling you the truth ! .. the point of the pic is what its not telling you

again you don't answer the question if you have ever been overweight or had an weight issue. but that's ok if you don't want to share smiling smiley

not all of us think in black/white some of us think in shades of grey ..and that's ok too smiling smiley

i know some of us can relate to this pic .. and others like yourself cant/won't smiling smiley its all good smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 09, 2012 08:50PM

I think it's a great visual Jodi! No matter how we remind ourselves of our positive traits it's always well worth the effort.

Also the scale or rather our weight number doesn't tell the whole story. I wish we had more ways of actually looking into our body's internal workings to see how healthy we are on the inside.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 09, 2012 09:06PM

What the pic says to me is that if you're seeking something deeper, let's say contentment, peace, enlightenment, love, whatever...you're not going to find it through body image or even physical health any more than you're going to find it through driving a Lamborghini. You're gonna have to try a little harder than filling your voids through the corporeal/material. The belief that you'll be a-okay once you've eaten enough fruits and veg and run enough miles is nothing more than the hype of gurus selling over-priced consultations. I'm not denying that physical health is a piece of the puzzle, it is, but it's a pretty basic piece. Don't stop there or you'll be disappointed.

And of course, be in the moment. Dangling little carrots of achievement before yourself as landmarks for when you'll finally be allowed to be happy is futile. Be happy or sad or whatever right now. Just accept it and yourself for what it is.

I realize that this may not be what Jodi intended, but that's what I took from it. Thanks Jodi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 09:07PM by HH.

Date: October 09, 2012 10:10PM

I am feeding myself on pizzas, burgers, cookies, my weight is not coming down and when I get to the scale, I am supposed to see how beautiful I am, how my friends love me and everything is ok because that is what matters.
There is something called reality check that is good for us sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 10:17PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 09, 2012 10:33PM

have you actually had that experience RawPracticalist? smiling smiley

id say you havent because you are entirely missing the message smiling smiley

im curious why you always bring up these sad foods,, pizzas burgers cookies ..etc etc you did this in another thread and this isnt what were talking about here..were talking about RAW FOODS .. as i pointed out above in a previous message

Are you supposed to see how beautiful I am (no not if you dont want too) , how my friends love me (no not if you dont want too) and everything is ok because that is what matters. (no not if you dont want too)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 10, 2012 12:45AM

I haven't missed the message, Jodi! That's a great, empowering image and I thank you for posting it. smiling smiley

Date: October 10, 2012 12:57AM

HH thank you thats what the pic says to me also smiling smiley

I do find it empowering thanks Tam.. especially for those of us here just starting or struggling

Date: October 10, 2012 01:00AM

Prism there is some amazing free online study courses on anatomy, physiology and microbilogy you can take for free (i paid several thousands of dollars worth of student loans almost 20 years ago for this info) ..google away there is some facinating stuff .. if you hit a roadblock or cant find something holler to me will see if i can find what you are looking for smiling smiley

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 10, 2012 11:22AM

Cool!
smiling smiley))

My experiments tend to reveal that the scales are never in synchronicity with how I feel about myself.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 10, 2012 02:52PM

It's brilliant. I would put it on my beautiful, talented, wonderful daughter's scales but I think finally she has got rid of them - which for her is a real achievement.

RawPracticalist - your view is so black and white and harsh - there is a huge middle road between people who stuff their faces all day long on SAD rubbish food and those who are raw. There are so many people who try SO HARD to stick to their diets etc - sometimes it's just not that easy and when you are down or not hitting your targets it is vital to remember all those things that were written on the scales. Giving people a positive stroke, acknowledging that life is about more than food, reminding them that they are loved will do more to empower them to make changes than all the harsh reality checks in the world. IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 02:58PM by flipperjan.

Date: October 10, 2012 03:30PM

flipperjan
Good for you, you know on to judge others.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:39PM

First of all, we have to Love ourselves because a Low, Distorted or Impaired Self-Esteem is at the core of most of our Emotional and Health Problems, including the Number on the Scale. But if we are NOT the best that we can be, we should NOT Delude ourselves either. The Scale has a purpose and if we put some of the things that are Good about ourselves on the Scale to offset a Number that is too BIG, then we might think that a really BIG Number is no Big Deal because look at all of the Good things about ourselves.

However, since that Number can have an effect on our Self-Esteem, it’s not a bad idea to remind ourselves when we weigh ourselves that we are worth the effort, but an even better place to put that list of Good things about ourselves is on the Refrigerator since a Low Self-Esteem might be one of the main reasons why we stuff ourselves to begin with.

The first thing I thought of when I read this thread was something Anthony Robbins says about why we do things and it’s all to change the way we Feel. We either pursue Pleasure or we avoid Pain and we can use Pleasure & Pain to Motivate us into Action. So from this perspective we should have 5 things that will bring us Pleasure once we have an Ideal Number and 5 things that bring us Pain if we don’t have an Ideal Number on that Scale where that Big Number could be 1 of the 5 things that bring us Pain.

So we could have…

#1) that Big Number
#2) a Disease-Ridden Life, e.g. Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes, etc.
#3) a shorter Life that does not allow us to see our great grandchildren graduate from college
#4) a Life with little or NO ENERGY
#5) a Poor Quality of Life

And then, to offset those we could have…

#1) a Healthy Weight
#2) a Disease-Free Life
#3) a longer Life that allows us to see our great grandchildren graduate from college
#4) a VIBRANT Life with Tons of ENERGY
#5) a High Quality of Life

So all of us want to use whatever we can so that we can play our Individual Role when it comes to solving most of our problems simply by becoming the best that we can be and to do so we need to come up with our own list for Motivation and to accomplish this here are some of my notes from Anthony Robbins’s book, “Awaken The Giant Within”:

“What is the force that is controlling you even now and will continue to do so for the rest of your life? PAIN and PLEASURE! Everything you and I do, we do either out of our need to avoid pain or our desire to gain pleasure.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 53

“The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 54

‘WHAT YOU LINK PAIN TO AND WHAT YOU LINK PLEASURE TO SHAPES YOUR DESTINY” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 56

“...if we link massive pain to any behavior or emotional pattern, we will avoid indulging in it at all costs. We can use this understanding to harness the force of pain and pleasure to change virtually anything in our lives, from a pattern of procrastinating to drug use.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 59

“If you are distressed about anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius, “ATGW” p. 60

“Though we’d like to deny it, the fact remains that what drives our behavior is instinctive reaction to pain and pleasure, not intellectual calculation.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 61

“Although we’d like to believe it’s our intellect that really drives us, in most cases our emotions---the sensations that we link to our thoughts---are what really drive us.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 61

“Ultimately, in order for a change to last, we must link pain to our old behavior and pleasure to our new behavior, and condition it until it’s consistent. Remember, we will do more to avoid pain than we will to gain pleasure.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 61

“The truth is that we can learn to condition our minds, bodies, and emotions to link pain and pleasure to whatever we choose. By changing what we link pain and pleasure to, we will instantly change our behaviors.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 62

“But for now, consider this: any time we’re in an intense emotional state, when we’re feeling strong sensations of pain or pleasure, anything unique that occurs consistently will become neurologically linked. Therefore, in the future, whenever that unique thing happens again, the emotional state will return.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” pp. 62-63

“If we want to take control of our lives, we must learn to “advertise” in our own minds---and we can do this in a moment. How? Simply by linking pain to the behaviors we want to stop at such a high level of emotional intensity that we won’t even consider those behaviors any longer. ...Then, simple link pleasure to the new behavior you desire for yourself.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” pp. 65-66

“I conceive that pleasures are to be avoided if greater pains be the consequence, and pains to be coveted that will terminate in greater pleasures.” -Michel De Montaigne, “ATGW” p. 66

“The problem is that most of us base our decisions about what to do on what’s going to create pain or pleasure in the short term instead of the long term. Yet, in order to succeed, most of the things that we value require us to be able to break through the wall of short-term pain in order to have long-term pleasure. You must put aside the passing moments of terror and temptation, and focus on what’s most important in the long term: your values and personal standards. Remember, too, that it’s not actual pain that drives us, but our fear that something will lead to pain. And it’s not actual pleasure that drives us, but our belief---our sense of certainty---that somehow taking a certain action will lead to pleasure.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 66

“Most people focus on how to avoid pain and gain pleasure in the short term, and thereby create long-term pain for themselves.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 66

“Remember, anything you want that’s valuable requires that you break through some short-term pain in order to gain long-term pleasure.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 67

“Nature has placed mankind under the government of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure...they govern us in all we do, in all we say, in all we think: every effort we make to throw off our subjection, will serve to demonstrate and confirm it.” -Jeremy Bentham, “ATGW” p. 70

“NAC MASTER STEP 2 Get Leverage: Associate Massive Pain to Not Changing Now and Massive Pleasure to the Experience of Changing Now!” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 124

“But change is usually not a question of capability; it’s almost always a question of motivation.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 124

“The only way we’re going to make a change now is if we create a sense of urgency that’s so intense that we’re compelled to follow through.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” pp. 124-125

“We have mixed emotions where we link both pain and pleasure to changing, which causes our brain to be uncertain as to what to do, ...” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 125

“One of the things that turns virtually anyone around is reaching a pain threshold. This means experiencing pain at such an intense level that you know you must change now...” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 125

“Even though you were unhappy, your fear of the unknown was a more powerful motivating force. ...At least I know how to deal with the pain I have now.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 125

“This kind of thinking is what keeps people from making changes. Finally, though, one day the pain of being in that negative relationship became greater than your fear of the unknown, so you hit a threshold and made the change.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 125

“If you’ve tried many times to make a change and you’ve failed to do so, this simply means that the level of pain for failing to change is not intense enough. You have not reached threshold, the ultimate leverage.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 126

“To paraphrase the philosopher Nietzsche, he who has a strong enough why can bear almost any how. I’ve found that 20 percent of any change is knowing how; but 80 percent is knowing why. If we can gather a set of strong enough reasons to change, we can change in a minute something we’ve failed to change for years.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 127

“The greatest leverage you can create for yourself is the pain that comes from inside, not outside. Knowing that you failed to live up to your own standards for your life is the ultimate pain.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 127

“If you want to help somebody, you won’t access this kind of leverage by making them wrong or pointing out that they’re inconsistent, but rather by asking them questions that cause them to realize for themselves their inconsistencies. This is a much more powerful lever than attacking someone. If you try to exert only external pressure, they’ll push against it, but internal pressure is next to impossible to resist.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 127

So why would someone not change when they feel and know that they should? They associate more pain to making the change than to not changing. To change someone, including ourselves, we must simple reverse this so that not changing is incredibly painful (painful beyond our threshold of tolerance), and the idea of changing is attractive and pleasurable.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 128

“To get true leverage, ask yourself pain-inducing questions: ‘What will this cost me if I don’t change?’” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 128

“The second step is to use pleasure-associating questions to help you link those positive sensations to the idea of changing.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 128

“To change your life for the better, you must change your habitual questions.” -Anthony Robbins, “ATGW” p. 186

JR’s Comment: I have found that Asking Pain-Inducing Questions has been an extremely valuable tool for my students so they can stay focused and not get side tracked.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:43PM

Our inner spirit of what we focus on has all to do with who we are or want to be including a healthy body. How many people do you know that seemingly have a 'perfect' body but are lacking in humanity and compassion or even just common sense.

If the person can feel love for themselves and if it takes some kinds of cues to practice that and to remind themselves they have generous and loving spirits then they should feel good about themselves while transitioning to a healthier body. In fact it would make the work put in to attaining that healthy body much easier. If one does not have respect for themselves or hate themselves often time they sabotage what they really want.

Thanks Jodi for that info. on where to find some interesting info. I'll do a little research for fun.

Love,
Prism

Date: October 10, 2012 04:23PM

With the mind, thinking, imagination we all have, if we need a scale to help us out, then we have a big problem. It was not made for that.

Date: October 10, 2012 05:51PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many people do you know that seemingly have a 'perfect' body but are lacking >in humanity and compassion or even just common sense.

ooo pick me pick me ! *hand shoots up in the air* umm lots lol

quick unrelated story: my sisterinlaw bought a betta fighting fish for my 5 year old nephew .. a 1/2 gallon cube for it (far too little water to keep a fish in it) and wondered why it died 2 days later. so i explained to her the fish died of ..#1 shock ..#2 chlorinated water #3 stupidity on the part of the pet store to sell her a pet and environment that was completely unsuitable .. so she proceeds to argue with me that no the fish HAD to be sick and she was going back to get another .. in the meanwhile the comments on her post were .. oh well ..its just a stupid fish , and hahah i was gonna feed the dead fish to my dog , ... i was cringing in sadness over the blatent lack of feeling for a poor little fish ..*huge sigh* sometimes i want to reach thru the internet an smack some people upside the head an scream wake up ! winking smiley

@John Rose thanks those are some great A.Robbins notes smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 05:52PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables