Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is passata which you buy in supermarkets raw??
Posted by: chat ()
Date: October 13, 2012 12:29AM

This is probably the question to UK or other european board members, as I'm not sure if passata is even the word in the US..

In UK we have a good variety of passata, lots of organic, both UK made and Italy imported, plain, with salt, with basil, with basil and salt...

Strictly speaking the difference between tomato sauce and passata should be that passata is supposed to be made with raw tomatoes. But I'm not sure if the bottled version we buy in supermarkets has not been pasteurized in some way?

This is really an out of curiosity question, as i believe it is hugely beneficial whether raw or not. I tend to buy the one without salt, and drink it just the way it is, like a thick tomato juice....yumsmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is passata which you buy in supermarkets raw??
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 13, 2012 01:11AM

Before getting to know what a passata is, I am trying to understand why a tomato needs to be cooked. In any recipe, you can get the same result with uncooked tomato.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 01:12AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 13, 2012 02:17AM

Did anyone say that a tomato needs to be cooked for the purposes of recipes? [confused]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 13, 2012 03:08AM

I doubt it's raw. :/

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 13, 2012 10:10AM

I don't think its raw chat, it definitley feels like it has been cooked or heated in some way. Not that, that makes it bad.

I can never get the hang of making raw tomato based sauces or tomato based sauces in general. It must be the vitamix because it comes out a horrible smoothie consistency, with lots of bubbles and is terribly bitter tasting. The last time i made a raw sauce this way i ended up violently vomitting for hours.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 13, 2012 03:32PM

That's interesting, Powerlifer. What do you put in them? Sorry to change topic....

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 13, 2012 05:27PM

No; if it's in a can or a bottle, especially if imported, it has been heat processed. You can buy Italian hand-crank passata mills at Italian import stores to make raw passata yourself. They're kind of like those manually operated wheatgrass juicers.

Date: October 13, 2012 05:35PM

That's what it seems to me too, like it is cooked but only perhaps for a short time (like flash pasteurizing or similar).

About the sauce I think vitamix is probably not a very good idea. My mom makes raw tomato juice by using an auger device (its not really a juicer but part of the food processor) - it comes out really good.

Date: October 13, 2012 05:40PM

Thanks Tamukha for the idea on passata mill, i'll definitely look it up. Funny as we lived in Italy for long time, but at the time I never wondered about how many things were made!

Edit: the italian word for passata mill is "il passaverdura" - i think i'm gonna get one smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 05:46PM by chat.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 13, 2012 08:29PM

chat

being heated for a "short time" e.g. "flash pasteurized" just means that the technology they use for that is such that it will kill everything in a "short time"

so , don't let that "flash" i the "flash pasteurized" fool you
they need to do that to kill all little microscopic things in there that move
so they don't get sued
so they do it to cover themselves
and so it can have a longer shelf life

in other words, "flash pasteurized" just means it was nuked in a short but EFFECTIVE period of time

so that the product can be dead quicker

either way its dead

Date: October 13, 2012 09:54PM

Well as I said in the first post I don't care too much whether tomatoes are being cooked or not, as i believe they are very beneficial either way.

The reason I thought about flash pasteurization, is because the longer the food is cooked the more its taste can be affected, since there are more opportunities for various chemical reactions. Or so it seems to me anyway, intuition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables