Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: salt
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: December 07, 2012 02:23PM

I have stopped using salt in my food and I feel better, I do not miss it.
Maybe the Natural Hygiene folks were right, it is not a food.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: December 08, 2012 04:57PM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have stopped using salt in my food and I feel
> better, I do not miss it.
> Maybe the Natural Hygiene folks were right, it is
> not a food.

powerlifer Wrote:
>
> Some people need a little extra salt such as those
> under stress or suffering from adrenal fatigue,
> which causes sodium loss through disturbed
> aldosterone levels. Non-table salt of course and
> unrefined full spectrum of trace elements.
>
> Its hard to get obscene amounts of salt with a
> healthy diet, at the most you use a little for
> seasoning. Cutting out the processed foods is the
> key, which is where the majority of dietary sodium
> comes from for most.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Hey Chris
This is a problem I'm still trying to fix! My adrenals and aldosterone levels. I find I get dehydrated when I don't eat a little added salt. But then it's very easy for me to eat too much (and also get dehydrated). My body has a really hard time regulating sodium/pottasium ballance. My sodium retention is bad. Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2012 04:57PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 08, 2012 06:01PM

Hey Workoutman,

Without knowing more details on your overall lifestyle it would be hard to say and if its a long term issue seeing a professional might be a good idea, blood work whilst often inaccurate for hormones is better than nothing. Keep supporting the adrenal glands naturally anyway you can though via diet, removing stimulants from diet, reducing stress etc. I have an article coming soon on basic adrenal fatigue tips, you probably know most of these anyway.

I can't remember if you follow 80/10/10 but if you do, then you will have to watch the extra potassium through this type of diet which has a diuretic effect and will naturally displace sodium. This is not good for those with adrenal fatigue and sodium retention issues for the reasons above.

You might want to look into taurine which is an amino acid that helps regulate fluid balance. Often found to be low in vegans also.

Ill be back to post more later, just back from the football.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2012 06:11PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 08, 2012 06:44PM

I forgot i made a video with some tips for adrenal fatigue, sorry about the annoying computerized voice.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 09, 2012 09:23PM

Ha ha, female Stephan Hawking was the voice!

Anyhow I've been trying to improve with herbs and they do help some. I can feel the difference but it's seems to be not quite enough for me. I ve been using an herbal tincture for the endocrine glands, containing these herbs:
siberian ginseng
kelp
astragalus root
chaste tree berries
saw palmetto berries
parsley root
alfalfa leaf
prickly ash bark

Ive been eating vegetarian with a focus on whole fruits and vegetable juices, but I certainly can understand the issues you raise about 80 10 10, even with these sodium issues though, I still feel better eating mostly fruits (about 70% of my calories). However I need to drink alot of water.

I dont consume any stimulants but I suppose one thing thats limiting my recovery is my job and personal life lately. I often don`t get enough sleep. How critical do you think sleep is for adrenal recovery verses diet
Thanks

Posted by: HH ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:04AM

Good video. I'm actually not put off by the computerized voice. It's all about the info as far as I'm concerned.

Workout Man--I'd say that sleep is as critical as anything else when it comes to adrenal recovery and maintenance. Having been there myself, I would pinpoint lack of proper sleep as THE impetus behind my fatigue issues. When you go from being tired here and there to experiencing this entrenched fatigue, it's definitely time to put the brakes on and switch up/slow down the lifestyle.

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I forgot i made a video with some tips for adrenal
> fatigue, sorry about the annoying computerized
> voice.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 10, 2012 10:41AM

Sleep is extremely important for recovery from adrenal fatigue, but a common symptom of decreased adrenal function is actually non-refreshing sleep. Overall though sleep is important, if you are tired and push your adrenal glands to stay awake, all you are doing is depleting your adrenal reserves further, if you have any that is.

Watch out for other activities that stimulate us. We are exposed to a much wider range of stimulation these days than ever before. Loud music, tv, scary or adrenaline pumping movies, video games, debating/arguing intensely on forums etc.

The best tool i have found which is also free for supporting the adrenal glands is meditation and deep breathing, both of which are good for reducing stress. Slow deep breathing shuts off the sympathetic nervous system and aids autonomic balance. Anyone who is sympathetic dominant i.e constantly in fight or flight mode will probably find deep breathing helpful. There are loads of good guided meditation youtube videos, one of my favorite is called autonomic breathing.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 10:46AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 10, 2012 01:55PM

Thanks for that info, powerlifer; super-useful, as usual winking smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 02:41PM

Thanks man, Im going to try the deep breathing and meditation. I gotta calm that nervous tension! I think I will try including a modest amount of salt for the time being until I improve more. Maintaining hydration is critical IMO.

Date: December 11, 2012 02:47PM

Make sure it is a quality salt such as himalayan which has a wider spectrum of trace elements. Watch the high potassium intake from your diet also, especially if not balanced out with adequate sodium. Mined salts such as himalayan contain the lowest amount of heavy metals also.

Do research into the amino acid taurine if you get a minute, you might find it helpful for fluid regulation. You may even be low/deficient if you have been strict vegan/vegetarian for a long period of time WM.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 02:49PM by powerlifer.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables