Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
coconut oil increases hearth performance
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 26, 2012 08:54AM

Hi.

Yesterday, I had my best work out ever. Did a lot of cardio by swimming hard (50 mins) and doing very hard elliptical machine (10 mins). The difference this time compared with other days is that I ate a Big chunk of coconut oil (from refrigerator) 2 hours before the workout started. Everything else stayed the same. I would have thought that it would worsened the work out since the fat would be in the blood. But it was the other way around. Those who think fat is bad are wrong. I'll try again to make sure but it made me think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil increases hearth performance
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 09:45AM

The MCT fats in coconut oil are also very unique in that they don't require bile for absorption. As a result they increase energy and metabolism quickly.

Coconut oil is great, also a very good anti-microbial. Fats are not bad when consumed as part of a balanced diet, fear mongering and doctors promoting low fat diets so they can prescribe more statins to lower the dreaded cholesterol is the cause. Despite the fact over 50% of heart attacks occur in the normal to low cholesterol zone.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 09:50AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 26, 2012 11:44AM

Isn't fat necessary to access glcyogen, thus increasing athletic performance?

So how long does it take for MCT fat to be converted into a usable form of energy? I believe that standard fats usually require around 6 hours to be ready to go. Sounds like Panchito may have gotten it right with eating two hours before exercise.

Date: October 26, 2012 11:46AM

Thanks for the feedback. One trick I have under my sleeve is that I use Magnesium oil everyday. Without it, I would have had a heart attack easy. I train very hard and I have improved a lot. This coconut oil did not give me any gas. I think raw people are afraid of fats because of the gas. I ate it 2 hours after a huge all fructose meal and no probs. Gas happens with nuts because the move, don't absorb well, go slow and mix with other stuff. The best way I found to eat nuts is to mix them in green salads.

Date: October 26, 2012 11:59AM

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't fat necessary to access glcyogen, thus
> increasing athletic performance?
>
> So how long does it take for MCT fat to be
> converted into a usable form of energy? I believe
> that standard fats usually require around 6 hours
> to be ready to go. Sounds like Panchito may have
> gotten it right with eating two hours before
> exercise.

MCT's are pretty much instantly used for energy from what ive read.

I think the problem with overt fat sources is that many have problems with digesting them. If someone has poor bile flow, fat dense foods can cause problems. This is a problem with digestion though and not the foods fault if ate in sensible amounts. I used to have alot of problems digesting fatty foods, now that i have improved bile flow nuts and seeds are easy to digest.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 12:03PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 26, 2012 12:27PM

doesn't sound palatable to me to eat a chunk of oil. even the word 'chunk' teehee

but anyway, 80/10/10 or the "low fat raw vegan" diet doesn't omit overts or fat; all foods have a percentage of calories from fat.

Date: October 26, 2012 12:30PM

Yeah but the percentage of fat recommended is rather low, too low in my opinion which is why many run into hormonal problems such as loss of menstrual cycle.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 26, 2012 12:49PM

my philosophy is to not have a fix way of eating (or always follow the same model of eating) because we are always changing. Sometimes, it will be healthier to eat more fats, sometimes less. It depends on circumstances and people. The best approach is to try to see what works and what doesn't. That does not mean to keep the same model for the rest of life.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 27, 2012 02:49AM

I have never had coconut oil and i think I should try it...

Then again, for my BLOODTYPE, I was told to not have it... such a state of mind, and I am working on switching it to just feeling good.

THanks for the patience everyonesmiling smiley

Date: October 27, 2012 11:15AM

Most people cook/switch to coconut oil instead of the regular often pro inflammatory omega 6 vegetable oils that are recommended as heart healthy.

So as such most aren't eating chunks of oil from the spoon, although it is tasty lol. Coconut oil goes great in raw brownies. Think ill make a batch of these raw brownies todaysmiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 27, 2012 01:43PM

How does one make raw brownies, is that one of those many-items-indigestible-combo?

Date: October 27, 2012 01:45PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> How does one make raw brownies, is that one of
> those many-items-indigestible-combo?

Not my recipe anyway which is just carob powder(or cacao if you consume cacao), coconut oil, pecans, medjool dates and pinch of himalayan salt. Off the top of my head anyway, 5 ingredients is hardly overkill in my opinion. Not something id eat everyday, but good as a treat, is wholefood based and raw too.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 01:48PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 01:54PM

Here is an article on MCT's.

[www.pponline.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 01:55PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 27, 2012 02:02PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Yeah but the percentage of fat recommended is
> rather low, too low in my opinion which is why
> many run into hormonal problems such as loss of
> menstrual cycle.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

i'm not aware of loss of menstrual cycle

cessation of bleeding does not mean loss of ovulation

care to share any real evidence?

Date: October 27, 2012 02:02PM

That's similar to what I do except I'm a sinner and add honey instead of dates. Got the recipe from Natasha St. Cantremembertherestofhername. Maybe coconut/palm sugar would be a more proper vegan substitute but I'm not sure how healthy that is. The brownies are delicious. I find that occasional treats like that help to keep me consistent on my otherwise really, really super pure diet.

powerlifer Wrote:
> RawPracticalist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How does one make raw brownies, is that one of
> > those many-items-indigestible-combo?
>
> Not my recipe anyway which is just carob powder(or
> cacao if you consume cacao), coconut oil, pecans,
> medjool dates and pinch of himalayan salt. Off the
> top of my head anyway, 5 ingredients is hardly
> overkill in my opinion. Not something id eat
> everyday, but good as a treat, is wholefood based
> and raw too.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 02:03PM by HH.

Date: October 27, 2012 02:05PM

fresh Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah but the percentage of fat recommended is
> > rather low, too low in my opinion which is why
> > many run into hormonal problems such as loss of
> > menstrual cycle.
> >
> > [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]
>
> i'm not aware of loss of menstrual cycle
>
> cessation of bleeding does not mean loss of
> ovulation
>
> care to share any real evidence?

Stick around the raw forums, you will see numerous woman complaining that they have developed Amenorrhea as a result of following a raw food diet long term.

Why this happens i can only theorize that its caused by lack of nutrition involving hormone production. Extreme dieting can also cause loss of menstrual cycle.

The question should be why is this happening to some otherwise healthy woman whilst it wasn't before following a raw diet?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 02:07PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 02:14PM

powerlifer Wrote:

> Stick around the raw forums, you will see numerous
> woman complaining that they have developed
> Amenorrhea as a result of following a raw food
> diet long term.
>

as i said, that is not related to loss of ovulation

> Why this happens i can only theorize that its
> caused by lack of nutrition involving hormone
> production. Extreme dieting can also cause loss of
> menstrual cycle.
>
> The question should be why is this happening to
> some otherwise healthy woman whilst it wasn't
> before following a raw diet?
>

the question may be why do you assume that bleeding is normal/healthy
since virtually all humans are not healthy

but i don't want to derail this thread any further.

if you can provide some evidence in a new thread
why
1. bleeding is normal and natural
and
2.examples of raw fooders cessation of OVULATION, i would be interested.

Date: October 27, 2012 02:28PM

How about you show me some evidence that bleeding is not normal. Usual raw food guff probably, it shocks me how others would go to the length of trying to convince people loss of menstrual cycle and developing Amenorrhea is healthy, when we know its not.

There is alot of impressionable young woman being drawn to the raw food movement usually looking for weight loss and nothing saddens me more than others brainwashing people that loss of menstrual cycle is healthy. Very similar to the anorexia movement in some ways, where others convince people to keep going even though they have developed Amenorrhea and other health issues.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 02:34PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 02:33PM

you keep confusing the issue.

not menstrual cycle. bleeding.

please don't make me make the distinction for a fourth time.

and when you say "we know", you're in big trouble.

there is plenty of evidence of menstrual cycle with little or no bleeding in wild animals.

you find it. if i show it to you, you will dismiss it as raw food dogma
or "wild animals are irrelevant", or whatever.

Date: October 27, 2012 02:37PM

fresh Wrote:
> there is plenty of evidence of menstrual cycle
> with little or no bleeding in wild animals.

LOL in wild animals that should be the benchmark for human health of course, we are HUMANS for the 100th time.

Stop comparing yourself to wild animals in nature, we are not apes, gorillas, chimps, cows, rats or mice. We are human beings, physiologically vastly different from any wild animal found in nature, let alone the way we live.

Ive made my point and view, so ill leave it at that.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 02:40PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 27, 2012 03:29PM

It does not make it true because it was repeated 100 times.
The earth being the center of the universe was repeated at least a million of times in the past.
Science uses animals that biological similarities with us to do studies and trials and many drugs, health instruments are based on those studies, to dismiss anything not usable because humans are different is the wrong approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 03:30PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 27, 2012 03:41PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> It does not make it true because it was repeated
> 100 times.
> The earth being the center of the universe was
> repeated at least a million of times in the past.
> Science uses animals that biological similarities
> with us to do studies and trials and many drugs,
> health instruments are based on those studies, to
> dismiss anything not usable because humans are
> different is the wrong approach.

Im not dismissing it because of the wild animals comparison. Im dismissing it because the only logic was that because wild animals develop Amenorrhea that its ok for humans to do so as well. Wild animals are not a benchmark of health for humans, we know from basic human biology that a little bleeding accompanies a healthy menstrual cycle.

Also studies done on animals can only be interpreted so far, whilst it can be promising that many compounds show anti-cancer effects in mice or whatever animal, it doesn't mean much at all in regards to how humans will react to whatever they are studying. .

If anyone wants to go live like a wild animal for a full week id commend their effort for trying. Go munch on nothing but grass like a cow does and see if you can produce nutrients in the same way they do via fermentation, eat insects, feces and even other animals if you want to live and mimic how wild animals live so much.

Wild animals eat other animals poo, do you want to do that as well ?. Wild animals even kill other animals, the whole wild animal comparison is boring and largely irrelevant in regards to human nutrition and biology as far as im concerned.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 03:55PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 04:08PM

LOL. I love the "in the wild" argument, conveniently used when it works and conveniently ignored when it doesn't.

Date: October 27, 2012 04:47PM

wild animals dont bleed,or very little
they eat raw

humans bleed
they eat cooked

you display a stunning lack of critical thought
to be unable to comprehend this

but it does support your anti raw stance, so it's predictable.

cows eating grass? more diversionary irrelevance.

Date: October 27, 2012 04:51PM

fresh Wrote:
you display a stunning lack of critical thought to be unable to comprehend this but it does support your anti raw stance, so it's predictable.

Ohh the irony RE critical thinking. If you look at things open minded without the intensely pro raw bias viewpoint, you would be more open to critical thought. The whole reason we are back to this topic is once again you couldn't handle that some people have had an issue with a raw diet, this time regarding the lack of menstrual cycle which some woman develop on a raw diet.

But this is what happens when we compare our health to wild animals. Im sorry i don't believe you here with your vast amount of evidence based solely on because wild animals don't bleed much.

Like HH says the wild animal card is only used when convenient by raw fooders. We should live and eat like wild animals do whilst posting on forums from our computers lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 04:59PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 05:08PM

And fresh please stop claiming that im anti-raw this really irritates me when im so fond of phyto-medicine. Im hugely pro raw food especially in relation to health and nutrition, my diet consists of plant foods, im just not into pro dogmatic fanatic 100% raw food guru wish wash dogmas im afraid.

I like to believe i can form a balanced view when it comes to nutrition without the fanatic overtones. I can accept that the things im often passionate about i.e raw food, spices, herbs etc have there downfalls. Im not dogmatic enough to suggest they should work for everyone.

But when you build the whole raw food thing to be a panacea thats what happens.
This bickering everytime we have an opposing view really bothers me too, because i rise to your bait every time.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 05:11PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 27, 2012 06:23PM

After fresh said in that one thread that we're meant to eat raw because cows eat grass raw, I went and ate a whole bunch of wheatgrass raw. Didn't juice it or anything. Just ate it straight. I was doubled over with abdominal pain for 2 days after. Just kidding of course, but I can't help but be struck by how the "in the wild" argument is not only illogical but also dangerous. I never wish to be mean, but with people coming on here looking for health advice that will NOT harm them, I think it's time to call out the incompetent. Fresh, you're a quack.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:13PM

Groovy! Now that winter is almost upon us, that fireplace's functioning becomes crucial winking smiley

(Please forgive me...I couldn't resist...)

Date: October 27, 2012 08:31PM

> lack of menstrual cycle which some woman develop on a raw diet.

still waiting for evidence that they are not ovulating, not simply not bleeding.
(not including extremely low cal)

i will assume you don't have any evidence.

the evidence of wild animals and no bleeding is all over the internet.

as for "wild" the point is very simply, again, that if there is a clear difference between humans and wild animals (cooked vs raw) and bleeding vs non bleeding
then there may be a correlation, especially since i have personally discussed this with raw fooder women who have healthy cycle without bleeding.

>But this is what happens when we compare our health to wild animals.

the comparisons can be made when they MAKE SENSE.

observing wild animals can be instructive in many ways.

that does not mean we should not use computers
and it does not mean we should eat grass.

really absurd counterpoints that are so old...

>Like HH says the wild animal card is only used when convenient by raw fooders. We should live and eat like wild animals do whilst posting on forums from our computers lol.

see above

>And fresh please stop claiming that im anti-raw this really irritates me when im so fond of phyto-medicine.

ok, maybe not anti raw
you seem to think that too much raw is unhealthy.
you think it's extreme.

i meant that your belief that bleeding is healthy
and normal fits in with your views on cooked/raw/health

>im just not into pro dogmatic fanatic 100% raw food guru wish wash dogmas im afraid.

yeah, me neither. we have something in common.

>Why do you think, Dr. Robert Morse pretty much requires herbal therapy in his high fruit cleanse diet?

why in the world should i give any credence to anything robert morse says?

>After fresh said in that one thread that we're meant to eat raw because cows eat grass raw

i don't think that was me
do we really need to argue the validity of cooked/raw on a raw board
and the observations of other animals?

the fact that wild animals eat raw and
are healthy as compared to humans chronic diseases is irrelevant?

>I can't help but be struck by how the "in the wild" argument is not only illogical but also dangerous. I never wish to be mean, but with people coming on here looking for health advice that will NOT harm them, I think it's time to call out the incompetent.

you are apparently unwilling to have the patience to consider the proper application of the "wild" relevance

>Fresh, you're a quack.

for suggesting that massive bleeding in women is normal?

guilty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 08:33PM by fresh.

Date: October 27, 2012 08:37PM

Again you take things to the extreme, HH wasn't suggesting massive bleeding is healthy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 08:38PM by powerlifer.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables