Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone know of any 80-10-10 books besides the one by Dr. Graham?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:15AM

I found it very interesting and plan to take it out from the library again. However, I am wondering if this is the only author who has written about this diet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone know of any 80-10-10 books besides the one by Dr. Graham?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:03AM

Panchito posted about this a couple of weeks ago at this link [www.rawfoodsupport.com] smiling smiley i havent had time to check it out myself as of yet smiling smiley

free ebook 801010 predecessor
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 19, 2012 10:51AM

[www.soilandhealth.org]

"In his final analysis, Pritikin specified that the diet should
contain, as a percentage of total calories, no more than 10% fat, 10%
protein, and the remaining 80% to consist of complex carbohydrate
foods mainly in the form of grain products."

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:41PM

Here are few snippets from my file on the Pritikin Longevity Center...

Even Pritikin diet was only 10% fat but they had to make a change because new studies pointed out that 15% to 20% is more adequate and they have bad symptoms because of not enough fat.

Even Pritikin had to change his philosophy on fats as new scientific evidence appeared that plant fat has not the same effect of animal fats.

Walter Willet has done many researches on this and the larger picture is that with fat intake between 20% to 40% the source is more important than the amount.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: November 26, 2012 01:53PM

I will check this out as well. I really need to lose about 10 pounds and I want to feel better. I feel like my life is passing me by because I focus so much on what to eat all the time.

I just read the Rainbow Diet by Gabriel C. but I still cant figure out what will be the best plan for me. I dont even know how many calories would be appropiate to keep me nourished.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:41PM

BW,

When you asked your original question about 80-10-10 books, were you asking about other diets that use that same ratio of carbs, proteins, & fats, or were you asking about other books that promote a raw fruit-based (though not exclusively fruitarian) diet? The reason I ask is that the advice may be different depending on what you really want. If it is the 80-10-10 ratio that is important, then Pritikin and probably the Rice Diet (Moskovitz not Rosati) are both in there. The original Rice Diet was probably more like 85-10-15 and low sodium but not raw. The good news is that they have long term retention rate data (43 percent) that blows conventional diet retention rates out of the water. But it's something of a strawman since most on the board don't eat that type of a diet to start with.

If you are looking for other fruit-based raw diet books with a 80-10-10 ratio, I'm not much use. I thought Graham's was excellent and have revised my prior mistaken assessment of him since reading the book. Honestly, he's his best advocate. He's a damn good writer. What I liked about 80-10-10 was his cogent discussion about diabetes as a fat control rather than a carb control problem. I'm paraphrasing. But he said that high sugar intake is not a big deal if there isn't commensurate high fat intake. We know transfats and saturated fats clog up our cells and cause insulin resistance. But diabetes is often treated as a carb problem rather than a fat problem. This was lost on me in the past. Graham was one of the first (Brenda Davis the other) who drew attention to the futility of treating diabetes by restricting carbs without a commensurate reduction in fats.

I look forward to what other fruit based books might be out there. I may do a quick search and report back. Excellent topic, BW, if I may say so.

Paul

Date: November 26, 2012 04:01PM

The book found on the link above is for raw fruitarian-vegatable 80-10-10 (or 90-5-5) but without the 80-10-10 name. It is not about the Pritikin diet but an improvement of the Pritikin diet. Written on 1988 (while the publication date of the Dr. Graham 80-10-10 book was 2006). Search and you will find smiling smiley

[www.soilandhealth.org]

Contents
AUTHOR'S PREFACE
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
FOREWORD by Dr Dean Burk
FOREWORD by Dr Ruth Cilento
INTRODUCTION
CHAPTER 1 Second Thoughts On Pritikin
CHAPTER 2 Healthy Blood, Healthy Cells, Healthy Body
CHAPTER 3 Enzymes - The Secret of Life
CHAPTER 4 Human Nutrition
CHAPTER 5 The Western Diet - Public Enemy No. 1
CHAPTER 6 Toxemia and the Diseases of Civilization
CHAPTER 7 Dieting for Health
CHAPTER 8 Doctor Gerson
CHAPTER 9 Modern Medicine, A Snare and a Delusion
CHAPTER 10 Grains are for the Birds
CHAPTER 11 Second Thoughts on Exercise
CHAPTER 12 Dieting for Longevity
CHAPTER 13 Learning the Hard Way
CHAPTER 14 In Conclusion
APPENDIX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 04:02PM by Panchito.

Date: November 26, 2012 04:46PM

Paul: I should have specified a raw diet! I agree with you about Graham's book, too. It was well-written and I am also intrigued by the fat implication in diabetes. I wonder if this diet is more suitable to those who have problems processing fats (which might manifest in diabetes and other disorders), though.

Jodi and Panchito: Thanks for the info. Somehow I missed that thread. I have also given up on the search function of this site. Too many fails. winking smiley

Date: November 26, 2012 05:11PM

you can get some of his other books here:

[www.amazon.com]

also, check out the interesting customers reviews that appear here:

[www.amazon.com]

personal tip: for women that puff up on the 801010, I recommend upping protein intake a little, and taking a supplement of Lugol's solution 2%. It has to do with the homones

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:38PM

80/10/10 has a very high failure rate long term. People cheat left and right and many get sick. But dont take my word. Try it yourself and see how long you last.

Date: November 26, 2012 05:56PM

NGU, trust me--I cannot fathom how someone like Fully Raw Kristina has managed to stay on this diet for as long as she has. I just saw a video of hers yesterday and she says she's been doing it since 2007. I guess she did it due to high blood sugar issues.

Which brings me to this question: Fully Raw Kristina has many recipes in which large quantities of dates are used. Can anyone explain this to me? I understand that the 80-10-10 theory claims that consuming even large quantities of fruit is not going to cause hyper(or hypo, I would imagine) glycemia. However, aren't even fresh dates pretty dense? I don't think they contain much water. I know they have lots of fiber, though, so perhaps that prevents a huge spike in blood sugar. It just seems like dates are gooey with (natural) sugar...

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:32PM

I started 80/10/10 because I had candida from going raw but eating too many nuts and seeds. When I lowered fat to 300 calories of nuts, my candida went away, along with sinus infection and yeast issues. Never really read the book though haha!

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lizardmt ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:50PM

Left In The Dark, by Tony Wright, is the most mind blowing book you will probably ever read

[leftinthedark.org.uk]

Goes into plant/human co-evolution and how fruit fueled the expansion of our neo-cortex in the jungles of Africa.

Date: November 28, 2012 08:07PM

I eat 1.5 or 2 pounds of dates every day. You can eat them when you don't have much fat on the blood. I think Dr Graham says that the fat in the blood blocks the insulin receptors and the sugar level stays high. While I think Dr Neal Barnard says that it is the intracelular fat what affects the insulin receptors. I think Dr Neal Barnard is right as the cells are bathed in lymph fluid (blood to lymph fluid to cell). Anywho, the sugar feeds the cells (go inside) instead of piling up on the blood (rising sugar levels).

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which brings me to this question: Fully Raw
> Kristina has many recipes in which large
> quantities of dates are used. Can anyone explain
> this to me? I understand that the 80-10-10 theory
> claims that consuming even large quantities of
> fruit is not going to cause hyper(or hypo, I would
> imagine) glycemia. However, aren't even fresh
> dates pretty dense? I don't think they contain
> much water. I know they have lots of fiber,
> though, so perhaps that prevents a huge spike in
> blood sugar. It just seems like dates are gooey
> with (natural) sugar...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 08:16PM by Panchito.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2012 08:26PM

Dates like any sugar rich food have the potential to raise blood sugar levels in some individuals. As far as sugar rich foods, dates have some things going for it such as it being rich in fiber which helps to slow down the absorption of sugars. But like all carb rich foods they have the potential to elevate blood suar levels in some individuals, usually when consumed in excess.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 08:27PM by powerlifer.

Date: November 29, 2012 11:41AM

Lowering fat to unhealthy levels all in order to get a lower insulin response so you can take in excessive amounts of sugar is something i can never understand from a health point of view.

What is the trade off or extra benefits from consuming such a large amount of simple sugars and poor nutrient density foods ?. Dates are pretty poor overall nutritionally, im not sure why you would want such a large portion of a diet to revolve around these low nutrient high sugar foods.

Fats are only a problem in relation to blood sugar and insulin sensitivity when intake of fats are consumed over 37%+ and high intake of saturated fats.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: November 29, 2012 01:19PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> like all carb rich foods they have the potential
> to elevate blood suar levels in some individuals,
> usually when consumed in excess.

I think that is what the Drs have figured out. If you want to be an individual without elevated blood sugar levels, then you would need to eat less fat.

> Lowering fat to unhealthy levels all in order to
> get a lower insulin response so you can take in
> excessive amounts of sugar is something i can
> never understand from a health point of view.

You seem to already know what is healthy and unhealthy but that does not agree with others. Wouldn't the others that know ask you the same question but inverse?

> What is the trade off or extra benefits from
> consuming such a large amount of simple sugars and
> poor nutrient density foods ?. Dates are pretty
> poor overall nutritionally, im not sure why you
> would want such a large portion of a diet to
> revolve around these low nutrient high sugar
> foods.

calories. You need fuel after all.

Date: November 29, 2012 01:38PM

You don't need to excessively consume sugar rich foods to get the energy benefits from carbohydrates though. Diet could easily be balanced with slightly more protein and fats to be healthier, so that calories didn't need to be made up by eating more useless pretty much empty calories from sugar rich foods like dates. I love dates and they are a sweet healthy food in moderation, but pretty much nutritionally worthless especially if regarded as a staple food.

There is only so much trade off and how much glycogen the body can store at any one time, which is why many gain weight on this diet despite lowering or completely eliminating overt fat intake. The liver can store about 100g of glygocen off the top of my head and muscles probably a few times more than that. So where is the extra 100-400g+ of useless simple sugars going daily, in the gut for many who aren't running off the extra calories.

Fat like i say isn't a problem in regards to blood sugar or reducing insulin sensitivity as long as the % of fat from diet doesn't exceed about 35% and not from a high intake of saturated fats. High intake of many fatty acids actually improve insulin sensitivity such as with omega 3.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 01:52PM by powerlifer.

Date: November 29, 2012 02:10PM

I am not approving or disapproving. If one finds a diet that works, that does not mean that other diets are bad. It is not exclusive because people are different and live different. If someone is very skinny (if that is what they are looking for) and eats lots and lots of sugar, then it makes no sense ( to that someone) when other people say that sugar makes you fat. Ok, skinny is not the same as healthy but hey, people are people. Then, when someone says that they eat the healthiest diet but they are overweight, that makes no sense, but hey, everybody lives in their bubble.

I would say that the best diet is the one that works for you as long as you don't eat the animals.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 01, 2012 08:40PM

[www.scribd.com] Impaired-Health-Tilden-Vol-2-1921
[www.scribd.com] Hygienic-System-Orthopathy-Vol-VI-Shelton-1939
[www.scribd.com] Why-I-Left-Orthodox-Medicine-Lonsdale-1994
[www.scribd.com] Toward-High-Level-Health-Thomson-1959
[www.scribd.com] Health-via-Food-Hay-1891
[www.scribd.com] Health-Without-Medicine-Coles-1848
[www.scribd.com] Triumph-Over-Disease-by-Fasting-and-Natural-Diet-Goldstein-1977
[www.scribd.com] Natural-Hygiene-Mans-Pristine-Way-of-Life-1968
[www.scribd.com] The-Hygienic-System-Vol-II-Orthotrophy-1935

life vs lifelessness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 08:42PM by Diogenez.

Date: December 02, 2012 12:59AM

Thought I would share this video for those who don't watch Easy to Be Raw videos. Megan Elizabeth describes the differences between 80-10-10 and 30 bananas a day diet...Interesting smiling smiley [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables