Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oils
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: December 01, 2012 10:41PM

Does anyone use olive oil or coconut oil or not so much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oils
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 02, 2012 07:09AM

Oils are best avoided if possible. They can be rancid and if the oil is refined, you can't even tell its rancid because the elements that give the rancid taste are refined out of the oil.

Avocados are a great fat. Or young coconut meat. Or durian. Then try seeds and nuts. Chia seeds are great. And hemp seed is pretty good.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 02, 2012 09:36AM

It really depends on the oil, olive oil and coconut oil are both good oils. A small amount of oils in salad dressings etc certainly does no harm despite what many will say.

Infact a small amount of oils can be good for keeping the gallbladder and bile from stagnating, which can happen with low fat diets longterm.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 03, 2012 11:53AM

prana

great mentioning of various sources of fat

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 03, 2012 02:01PM

I prefer mature coconut, a small piece into smoothies, you get the oil and the fiber.

Date: December 07, 2012 12:22PM

unless mentioned otherwise
aren't ALL olive oils heated to a certain temperature ( or beyond)?

even if it says "cold pressed", aren't those heated as well?

Date: December 15, 2012 07:25AM

la_veronique, from what I've heard, only the slowly stone ground olive oils don't reach a high temperature in the pressing process. If the oil is pressed via a fast moving stone, it can get warm or even hot. Some oils may be heated to extract even more oil out of the olive mash.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 15, 2012 02:21PM

I converted from olive oil to cocunut. I use it on the skin (cold windy weather) and eat it in small amounts a couple times a day. I tried larger amounts but me body reacts negatively. this oil helps create the hormones your body needs. i alos eat avocados at dinner time smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2012 10:08PM

I think I will make the switch to coc oil.

I am not doing so well these days.. stress is taking a toll on me. I hope something changes soon.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 15, 2012 11:46PM

This Olive Oil is unheated, and UNPRESSED!!...never getting over 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
What do you guys think?
I'm considering bathing in it daily, followed by a massage......WY
P.S. Don't look at the prices.

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

Date: December 16, 2012 12:32AM

Certain things are too good to be true!!!
I will stick with the oils in avocado and coconut. Raw, unaltered

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 12:33AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 16, 2012 02:36AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... I will stick with the oils in avocado and coconut.

Well I hope you don't think I was trying to get you to change your Oil(s)? I was asking those here who prefer Olive Oil (as I do) what they thought of Unpressed Olive Oil.
I have Avocado and Coconut oils in my pantry, and use them both on occasion......WY

Date: December 16, 2012 06:56PM

prana

<<la_veronique, from what I've heard, only the slowly stone ground olive oils don't reach a high temperature in the pressing process. If the oil is pressed via a fast moving stone, it can get warm or even hot. Some oils may be heated to extract even more oil out of the olive mash.>>

interesting... slowly stone ground
sounds like something from another era LOLsmiling smiley
i saw olives going through a hydraulic press
it was neat

Date: December 16, 2012 06:59PM

Im not bothered if its raw or not, a small amount of olive oil now and again has proven to be healthy whether raw or not.

I wouldn't go out of my way paying high prices for raw olive oil, for the minimal nutrients that are lowered by heat from olives i can get easily from other foods. The reason nutritionally why i would consume olive oil would be for its beneficial fat content which are not really effected majorly by heat, so regular organic olive oil is more than enough.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 07:02PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:35AM

I don't think oils are good for us, either, but we do use this one occasionally. It's raw -

[www.barianioliveoil.com]

[www.therawfoodworld.com]

Date: December 17, 2012 04:25AM

I do not even think that a small amount is healthy. Maybe it helps us prepare and eat other foods. In that sense it is useful, maybe.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 17, 2012 06:09PM

I think it partly depends on what you are using it for. In general whole sources of fats are better because of the fiber... whole nuts, seeds, avocado, etc. If you are making a marinade or salad dressing, you can still use a whole food like a nut butter or tahini. But the consistency of the final product will be affected by the presence of fiber. I make salad dressings with pureed nuts and nut butters and also with oils... both a fine but there is a trade off. The emulsified oil products are definitely clearer and more aesthetically appealing. If using any oils, consider a one tablespoon limit per day

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 17, 2012 06:40PM

I agree with Paul. Whole fats are not processed at all so they would obviously not be subjected to any heat or fractionalization. I once bought a tin of extra virgin olive oil for a great price from an Italian store. When I read the back of it later, it said it was stone-ground, so it was most likely extracted at a very low temp! Never have found it again with that description in a 3-liter tin...

But 1 Tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil daily seems pretty reasonable to me.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:57AM

I see nothing wrong with cold-pressed oils in moderation. Annette Larkins, a long-term 70-year-old raw fooder who looks 30, eats them, too: [fresherthanlife.com]

Date: December 18, 2012 03:41AM

fresherthanlife Wrote:
> [fresherthanlife.com]

Annette Larkins is Amazing. I see a lot of 'Green' in her Garden.
Does she drink Olive Oil too? She looks 30 and her husband looks 80......WY

Date: December 18, 2012 07:50AM

One reason to limit your olive oil consumption is that the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in olives is 13:1.

Better sources of fat for omega-3 are chia seeds and hemp seeds. Flax seeds are good source of omega-3, but to me flax is inedible.

Date: December 18, 2012 08:53AM

Prana Wrote:
......but to me flax is inedible.

Why?...because the oil turns rancid, or they're just difficult to chew.
I've had good success with Flax seeds in my Green Smoothies, with the Vitamix doing the chewing......WY

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: December 18, 2012 05:17PM

Prana Wrote:
> One reason to limit your olive oil consumption is
> that the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in olives is
> 13:1.
>
> Better sources of fat for omega-3 are chia seeds
> and hemp seeds. Flax seeds are good source of
> omega-3, but to me flax is inedible.

I'm hardly an expert, I'm dependent on the others here to interpret oils for me. But as I understand it, omega 6 VS omega 3 isn't the only consideration. What about monounsaturate levels VS polyunsaturates? Isn't high mono/low poly the reason health aware folks go for olive, macadamia and high oleic safflower? And then there's the drooling over medium chain triglycerides to be found in coconut fat.

To sum up, there's no perfect oil as far as I can see. Best idea is just to limit consumption, as pborst suggests, to 1 T/day and get your nutrients from unrefined seeds and nuts, etc.

By the way, I too find flax inedible. I mean, really. It sticks to the roof of your mouth and your gums. But then it has something healthy called lignans.

Date: December 18, 2012 06:26PM

Yeah olive oil is a good source of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Its all about sensible moderation.

Pauls recommendation of 1 tablespoon daily is a healthy one in my opinion.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: December 19, 2012 05:23PM

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on the oils. I am sticking to one tablespoon per day and we will see how it goes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables