Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I am going to buy a gallon of Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 10, 2012 06:42PM

Ask me anything winking smiley

No but seriously, does anyone use this? I ran out recently and tried to get along without it (using salt instead of it) but I found that there is no substitute (even regular tamari tastes different).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am going to buy a gallon of Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:39PM

I was going to ask about this because I have heard that it is not so great for us, but I do like the taste.

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: December 10, 2012 08:52PM

I'm with you BW. I can't live without it either. I use it every single day.

Does anyone know how tamari compares to Braggs for sodium content. I made the comparison once to regular soy sauce and thought Braggs was much lower sodium, but then just yesterday I noticed the serving size for Braggs is only a half teaspoon. So now I'm wondering if I shouldn't moderate my use a little. (REALLY don't want to give it up)

Date: December 11, 2012 12:18AM

[bragg.com]

The main thing I have heard is that it contains MSG. If you look at the link, it states that it is naturally-occurring. Other foods with natural MSG are mushrooms and tomatoes...

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 11, 2012 03:30AM

Here's something that Dave Klein from Living Nutrition wrote about Braggs Liquid Aminos:

BRAGG LIQUID AMINOS: THE SCAM REVEALED

by David Klein, 1997
[www.livingnutrition.com]

Below is information I received from an associate on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos. Below is the text from her letter. Before I get to it, I'll give some background information on her, so you'll know where she is coming from.

Griselda Blazey has a B.S. in biology, a M.S. is biochemistry, and a Ph.D. (actually a post-doctorate) in endocrinology. She also has a degree from the now defunct College of Dietary Therapy in England. She authored a book, "Food Matters", and a workbook called, "Nutritional Transformation", and used to teach a course by that name. She has been teaching cell physiology, metabolic disorders, and nutrition at Life Chiropractic College West, in San Leandro, California for the past four years. The first time I heard her theory on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos was during a lecture she gave at a San Francisco Living Foods Support Group meeting a few years ago. Here is the text from her recent letter:

"The other topic you asked about in your letter was about how Bragg Aminos are made. Once again, here's an armchair biologist's answer, meaning that I don't know this for sure, but it's the only thing that makes scientific sense. If I were given some vegetable protein and were asked to make it into amino acids without spending a lot of money on it, I would boil it up with some hydrochloric acid. This would break it down to amino acids, but of course it would be too acidic to be palatable. So I would then neutralize the acid with baking soda, causing the reaction mixture to look like this:

2HCl + Na2CO3 ===> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

So the salt gets made by mistake as it were. Now someone (I forget who) followed up on this and contacted the Bragg company to ask if this was how they did it, and they denied it. However, they didn't disclose how they do actually do it, so in the absence of correct information, and with an extremely salty taste in their product, I still consider the above process to play at least some part in their procedure."

That's it. We don't know for sure. All I know is that Griselda has an impressive mind for original theoretical scientific thought, and I sure felt awful after having a bit of Bragg a several years ago, just like I did when after having some dulse flakes in raw food recipes - I think that they heat the dulse to drive out the moisture so that it is chopable, thus cooking it and making the "deadly" form of sodium chloride.

Hope you find her theory interesting and worthy of second-thinking the inclusion of the Bragg product in recipes.

From the [www.living-foods.com] Forum
Subject: RE: Bragg liquid aminos IS POISON
Author: Dave Klein, board moderator (209-239-210-172.oak.jps.net)
Date: 08-06-1999 14:34

It looks like we finally got some proof from the Bragg company that the liquid aminos product is heat processed and made with hydrochloric acid.

Salt apparently forms in its processing, plus glutamic acid which is the same poison which is in MSG. Many many raw fooders have apparently been lied to and duped by the Bragg who have until recently stated that the product is all raw and not processed with heat or chemicals. And many many folks like myself become ill very soon after ingesting the crap. Sea salt is less deadly than Bragg Liquid Aminos, but then I prefer tomatoes to get minerals salts in my diet when I want to enjoy salty flavors. Try adding sundried tomatoes to salads too.

From the [www.living-foods.com] Forum
ìMy pointî by Michael

18/06/99 05:59:17

After reading the speculations about Bragg Liquid Aminos posted on this forum and hearing horror stories from others (my sister talked with a man who said he quit using it because it gave him nightmares) I decided to just jump right out and ask the Bragg company themselves.

Decide for yourself if you feel like using it.

1. Is hydrochloric acid used at any time in the production of Bragg Liquid Aminos? I have been told that it is used to separate the aminos from the soybeans (like isolated soy protein) and gives it the salty flavor.

Yes, our product is hydrolized in the process.

2. Are you aware of the dangerous effects of glutamic acid within the human body? Do you plan on taking measures to remove glutamic acid from Bragg Liquid Aminos?

The glutamic acid is naturally occurring and cannot be isolated to remove it as an individual amino acid. In our laboratory results analyses show that the Liquid Aminos contain no monosodium glutamate.

3. If BLA is neither heat processed nor fermented, could you please explain why it does not turn rancid at room temperature as opposed to requiring refrigeration?

Our liquid aminos does go rancid if kept out of the cupboard or out of the refrigerator. We suggest storing in a cupboard or the refrigerator. It is the same reason ketchup or soy sauce, or jam, or peanut butter do not go bad if kept in the cupboard. Eventually they will all go bad.

A group e-mail message:
November 2, 1998

Hi all:

A while back we were had chatted here and questioned whether above has msg or not and Patricia Bragg said NO.

We'll here's some info. that says yes, and FDA had her remove her NO MSG label. You can check on the documentation self. A friend sent this is who a researcher. I don't have his permission to release his name, but this should ans. the question on YES, above has MSG per FDA.

ìMSG-sensitive people react to any glutamic acid that has been freed from protein through a manufacturing process providing that they ingest an amount that exceeds their individual tolerance for the substance. Consequently, consumers refer to all processed free glutamic acid as MSG. This fact was acknowledged by the FDA in the "FDA Backgrounder" dated August 31, 1995.

Under Section 403 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act it is deceptive and misleading to say "No MSG" or "No MSG added" on a processed food label that contains free glutamic acid. It is for this reason that the FDA forced Live Products, manufacturer of Bragg Liquid Aminos, to remove the words "No MSG" from the product's label.î

Hugs,
Carol, CO

Some ìSaltyî Advice by Art Baker

Forget the Bragg Liquid Aminos and try this: Dehydrate celery and lemon. As the celery dries out it hardens and becomes thin like floss. Place both in a coffee grinder and pulverize into powder. The powder is very salty, with a slight celery flavor, making it a great addition to guacamole, salsa, raw soups, crackers, etc.

Date: December 11, 2012 04:40AM

Ah shucks. Now I'm sad.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 11, 2012 02:37PM

Please bear in mind that this correspondence is speculative and also almost 13 years old, raw_curious. I think it's important to consider it, but, as nothing has corroborated this speculation(nor debunked it) in the meantime, one can't say it's the last word on Braggs.

Of which I am not a fan, btw winking smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 04:47PM

Prana, thank you for that. I believe I have read it already due to it being an old controversy.

I do find Braggs to be slightly sketchy from another angle: they tout that their soybeans are GMO-free but then why not organic? I guess it could be that they can get a better price for conventional soybeans but it seems rather odd to be concerned with GMOs and yet not just go the whole distance and make sure they are also organic.

HCL is also available in capsule form, right?! So while it sounds so harsh and all, I cannot use that as my deal-breaker. The baking soda is a bit troublings because of issues with aluminum. Again, the amount of Braggs used is rather minute and I just cannot imagine life without it.

Whole Foods jacked up the price to $8.99 recently (quart). So I figger that paying $29 for a gallon is a lot better. I just have to find out what the shipping cost is. Or ask WF to order me a gallonwinking smiley

Date: December 13, 2012 02:39AM

Sorry for the negativity earlier. And thank you Prana for the good info. It gives me something to thnk about. I think for now I'm keeping it in my diet... I've already made huge dietary changes this year and I feel like I need Braggs in my life right now. Maybe it's a crutch, but sometimes I'm certain it's the only thing keeping me vegan. So I'm ok with it for now until I find a better alternative or until my taste buds change enough that I don't crave the saltiness anymore.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 13, 2012 04:50AM

raw_curious, if salty is what you need, then perhaps some celtic sea salt or himalayan salt would be cheaper and healthier than braggs. But if it is the umami (glutamate) flavor you desire, consider the following vegan foods high in glutamates are ripe tomatoes, celery, spinach, mushrooms, chinese cabbage, seaweeds. Vegetables, nuts and seeds high in protein will have more glutamates.

If BLA is indeed processed with hydrochloric acid and then baking soda, you might prefer using miso or tamari that have been fermented, which is a gentler form of processing versus hydrochloric acid.

Date: December 13, 2012 04:53AM

How about Braggs on a salad of tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms? Call it an Umami Specialwinking smiley

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 14, 2012 05:09AM

I'd say about Bragg's what I say about overt fats--if you eat it, and it makes you feel good, not worse, it's probably fine--truly listening to your body, it will generally tell you when enough is enough. Who knows...maybe that point is now, down the road, or not at all...

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:51PM

I can't believe Brian Clement indorses this product, I personally dont believe in it. It is not natural!!! it has a weird taste that makes me want it like I am addicted or something? I simply would not use it, there are many other substitutes out there that occure naturally. I can't believe I used it for so long, I've been fooled again, when will I learn?

Date: December 18, 2012 09:23PM

LOL--you sound like you're having a meltdown over there...Good luck.

Date: December 30, 2012 08:36PM

Update: So after perusing Bragg's site, I found out that Amazon had it cheaper. It's less than $39 with shipping...smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:12PM

I think it's an aquired taste. My mom and sister like it but the flavour and after taste are not pleasant for me.
I'll try that dehydrated celery and lemon though, that sounds very tasty. In the summer I might see if purslane dehydrates well, it's local and very lemony (and free since it's a weed, ha ha) instead of the lemon. I remember using a powdered salt-free thing years ago called Spike that was very delicious, just dehydrated spices and citrus peel.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 31, 2012 02:51PM

coco,

Penzey's Spices make a product similar to Spike, called "Mural of Flavor." It has various dehydrated herbs and spices, shallots and chives, and no salt. It is not, however, sourced from primarily organic crops sad smiley

Date: January 03, 2013 11:39PM

It came! smiling smiley It's so funny seeing a gallon of Braggs...I almost felt like chugalugging it or something...

Date: January 06, 2013 07:50PM

Update: D'oh! I miscalculated the "value." 32 oz. goes into a gallon 4X and not 8X. eye rolling smiley So I didn't save any money.

Oh well, I did with the sea veggies on order! smiling smiley

Date: January 07, 2013 08:34PM

Prana - thanks for the suggestions. I'll try adding more of the foods you mentioned and see if I can back off the Braggs a bit. Funny thing is, almost as soon as I wrote my last post my Braggs usage declined dramatically. Either my body finally got enough of whatever it craved in Braggs or I subconsciously think 'hydrochloride acid' every time I use it. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables