Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Article on gluten from Gerson
Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: December 16, 2012 04:33AM

[gerson.org]

I'm interested in knowing more on specifically the area where the article mentions the "gluten-glue" the adheres to our intestinal lining as it passes throught the intestinal tract.

It makes sense, and I'm positive I have an issue with wheat, but I'm looking for something a little more scientific. I will get to the Mercola link. Can this "glue" be seen in a colonoscopy?

Thankssmiling smiley

februarygirl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Article on gluten from Gerson
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 16, 2012 04:43AM

Gluten is glue. Well sort of. The root of the word gluten is latin for glue. Take a look at these homemade glue recipes: Homemade Glue & Paste Recipes.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 16, 2012 11:32AM

Hey FG smiling smiley,

I doubt it could be seen during a colonoscopy, but possibly. Gluten is considered a sticky protein and as prana says latin for glue.

One of the most destructive aspects of gluten and even grains in general is there ability to increase intestinal permeability aka leaky gut. I strongly believe that leaky gut is one of the causative factors in a whole host of diseases that we are constantly seeing on the increase such as autoimmune disease and MS, arthritis and so on.

I try to stay away from gluten and wheat as much as possible, both foods did a huge number on my health and digestive system. Leaky gut is quite difficult to recover from also, as someone who has had severe leaky gut. I wrote some tips below that helped my leaky gut and explains the main cause which is Inflammation.

Tips For Digestive Health

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 11:34AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 16, 2012 01:05PM

I struggled with leaky gut and after a strict wheat and corn free diet for a few years I could tolerate it once agian, but and have slipped back in to consuming it but of course, have gotten carried away and the old symptoms are back and so I've been eliminating it once again and notice a drastic improvement in my degestion. I liked the way this article explained it, but I was trying to share it with someone and I thought it sounded hoky. You know how some look at you like you have three eyes with some of this stuff? I havnt been on this board for a long time. You guys have been busysmiling smiley Thank you for the expanation and the link, I'll take a look at it!

februarygirl

Date: December 16, 2012 01:58PM

oh I already read that one and shared it on fb for said friends to read. Excellentsmiling smiley

februarygirl

Date: December 16, 2012 02:43PM

Februarygirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh I already read that one and shared it on fb for
> said friends to read. Excellentsmiling smiley

Ahh yeah i thought you might have read it already. That is very kind thanks for sharing also. Hope you're well FG smiling smiley.

Eliminating processed food is one of the easiest ways to avoid gluten i find, because lets face it gluten seems to be in nearly everything these days. Sauces, condiments, everything i pick up seems to have gluten in it. Licorice root i found very helpful also.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: December 16, 2012 03:42PM

I have eaten a whole foods diet my whole life. Even though SAD my mom alway made homemade foods. We did not eat packaged food or processed foods. Then at age 15 I began a macrobiotic diet targeting leaky gut and food allergies. As an adult, we have always eaten far, far better than anyone I know. Fruits, veggies, smoothies, water, dark greens, whole grains, sea veggies, supplements, etc...Not perfect, I definitely have my weak areas, but with my health you would think I smoke, drank, and lived on McDonalds. General health seems to allude me.
I too, took a lot of antibiotics and steroids as a child. By 28 I was on thyroid meds and finally had thyroid cancer. My one year old baby had cancer and has fought for his health for 22 years. With illness, there is an avalanche of repercussions that spin off of the problem. The financial and other burdens that affect a family as a result, often are more difficult to handle than the illness itself.
Although I know my diet isn't perfect, thanks largely to Powerlifer I am convinced that my adrenal insufficiency and all of my resulting health issues, including my gut health are more from stress than anything else.
So I am always tweaking my diet, and honestly, right now after a year from hell due to my husband's job loss, and my working 55 hours a week to compensate, my health has regressed tremendously. So I am on a mission once again to eliminate grains,etc...to get my gut built up again.

februarygirl

Date: December 16, 2012 04:14PM

Its really a shame you have had to go through all that and your child sad smiley. The antibiotics and steroids will not have helped growing up. Steroids with long term use can cause the adrenal glands to atrophy and weaken.

Stress is a huge problem though and the chain reaction like you say can be devastating in other areas of life. Have you tried meditation or deep breathing exercises FG?. There are alot of good guided meditation videos on youtube that ive found helpful and there free so worth a shot. I have had alot of success with slow deep breathing which is good for shutting off the sympathetic nervous system and is thus good for people who are sympathetic dominant i.e stuck in fight or flight mode.

When stuck in fight or flight mode for any reason such as fear, stress or anxiety, this causes an increased demand for adrenaline and cortisol, the adrenal glands can only keep up with this increased demand for so long before levels begin to diminish and the adrenals begin to fatigue. When the adrenals fatigue your capacity to tolerate stress is also much reduced.

So it is vital to try find natural and healthy ways to reduce stress in my opinion. The deep breathing is really effective though like i say. As they say a quiet mind, is a healthy mind.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: December 16, 2012 06:46PM

Yes he is quite a trooper that boy. And yes, all my labs point to adrenal insufficiency.

I have been in that sypathetic dominant state for many years. Always waiting for the other foot to drop so to speak. A stressful situation, any kind of adrenal response can debilitate me physically for a day, although I am getting better with this.

I have learned a lot and could chat with you for hours on end about it. Of course, the general public here on this board does not need to be burdened by all of my storysmiling smiley Everyone has their ownsmiling smiley

Breathing is one of my tools. I can greally bring myself down with purposeful breathing, however I need to be more active and regular with this. I must schedule every day so that I can have a thirty minute nap at this point. I only do walking, nothing more strenuous, and i find that a mostly raw diet with some nuts and beans is most beneficial to me. Again, my gut is on fire lately and I really need to heal it again. Working so many hours has gotten me into eating breads and so forth. But I'm on it! I am having every symptom of a stagnation in liver bile production and may give herbs another try. Artichoke you say?

I will look at the miditation videos on youtube. That is an excellent idea. Have also been looking for a counselor of some type. Someone who specializes in stress management, but not a great area for that. I'm leary of "therapy".

Anyway, this all strted with the gluten article, something I'm really interested in at this point.

Enjoy any bit of sunshine you may be havingsmiling smiley

februarygirl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables