Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are carrots healthy?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: December 17, 2012 06:34AM

I never really ate carrots but they juice nicely. That's just sugar and beta carotene right?

Are carrots a health food?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are carrots healthy?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 17, 2012 10:13AM

Carrots are said to be high on oxalates (kidney stones). Also, carrot juice can be very sweet (high glycemic). Taken in 'small' amounts should be ok.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 17, 2012 10:30AM

Carrots are fine in there full form and are as good as any other root vegetable from a health point of view.

Juicing glasses upon glasses of carrot juice daily id argue is not healthy, due to the reasons Panchito suggests above.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:11PM

too much sugar for me, but I think they are healthy in moderation.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: December 17, 2012 09:22PM

I think powerlifer has it pretty well summed up. That carrots are a high source of oxalates is actually news to me. I know if foods are high in oxalic acid if I get cramps. No cramps = good food to me, anyway.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:55AM

Seems to me the carrot as a whole food is perfectly healthy. They're great in juices, yes, but like anything else--everything in moderation. I'd stop if I start turning orange smiling smiley

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 18, 2012 12:23PM

Some of these concerns are unfounded. Maybe this explain why Norman Walker did not live past the 100. I was the carrot juice man.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: December 21, 2012 05:11PM

Juice the tops if you want serious nutrition

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2013 07:38AM

Hi,

Carrots are indeed healthy for our eyes. Carrots contain a large selection of nutritious vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C and K.Along with vitamins, carrots contain minerals like potassium, calcium and iron. Calcium contributes to strong bones, while iron enriches blood cells. Carrots are just as healthy raw or cooked, hot or cold.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 06, 2013 02:26PM

Yes. They are full of all kinds of vitamins and cofactors and got the Dutch through all those wars, etc.

But if you don't like eating them, for whatever reason, don't.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 10, 2013 10:30AM

I love carrots, I did not know they were high on oxalates. how do you ferment them?

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: October 10, 2013 03:26PM

Gerson protocol includes drinking about 13 glasses of carrot juice a day for months ( or even years), and people do get cured of cancer and other deseases...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 10, 2013 05:48PM

Carrots were great healer, great food until recently when we became bombarded with news that they contain high amount of oxalic acid and need to be fermented.

Normal Walker lived on this juice for many years. I lived past 90.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:18PM

Panchito wrote '' carrots are said to be high in oxalates ( kidney stones ) ''. Is this one of those nonsensical unscientific statements made by someone with a ' beef ' against carrots? I'm afraid we can't let these pet theories go unchallenged any more.

What justification do you have to make this statement? How many people have gotten kidney stones from eating carrots? Where is the proof? Did the study refer to commercial carrots or organic carrots? People in temperate zones have been eating carrots for centuries (raw, cooked, fermented, pickled ) and they stored them in the cellars for winter when food was scarce.

No one is going to eat 20 carrots a day and nothing else, and we all seem to agree that it's better to have juices in moderation, unless someone is juice fasting for healing for a short time.

It's such a nonsensical statement to take things in isolation and scaremonger.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:25PM

I agree. There are so much lies and misinformation around, that unless you are able to take a carrot and do the tests yourself for the amount of oxalic acid and what not that it may contain, I wouldn't believe anything.
On the other hand, Gerson does have well documented healing cases of people whom the conventional doctors sent home to die, some in the last stages of cancer all healed with the help of large amounts of carrot juice.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:44PM

On the 80/10/10 board someone asked if garlic was ok to eat. Their pat answer was no, unless you can make a meal out of it in nature it's not fit for human consumption.Then I posed the question, how many people can make a meal out of celery or lettuce, or parsley or other herb? Show me one 811er who sits down to a meal of celery, yet they are encouraged to eat 10% calories of greens.

There's a difference between having a sliver or two of garlic if you enjoy it and it agrees with you, as opposed to making a meal out of it - yet that was their justification for opposing garlic. Now they have changed their story. There is so much nonsense that has gone unquestioned, but at least we are able to question it here.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 11:01PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carrots are fine in there full form and are as
> good as any other root vegetable from a health
> point of view.
>
> Juicing glasses upon glasses of carrot juice daily
> id argue is not healthy, due to the reasons
> Panchito suggests above.
>
> [www.natuhealth.co.uk]

I think this statement is as sound and logical as needed, common sense and maybe a good holistic practitioner will tell you if you need to stay away from this veggie. Certainly eating a little bit of it during the week even if you are very sick will not hurt.

Posted by: ronbn49 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:50PM

Of course they are healthy.

Posted by: ronbn49 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:34PM

BEWARE OF DRUG COMPANY SPONSORED PROPAGANDA.

Date: October 29, 2013 09:00AM

carrot yellow smoothies are very healthy

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:41AM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> carrot yellow smoothies are very healthy

What is in one? I have never heard of putting whole carrots in smoothies.

Date: October 30, 2013 01:33PM

Yes the greatest smoothie, you can use cucumber as a base in a high speed blender to get some water first and add some carrots.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:02PM

So it's only carrots and cukes or other stuff with it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables