Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Adrenal Fatigue
Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: December 27, 2012 02:58PM

PL, after my ACTH stimulation test we will discuss cortisone therapy. I will look into that particular one.

BJ, I totally agreesmiling smiley

februarygirl

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 28, 2012 11:00AM

Februarygirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PL, after my ACTH stimulation test we will discuss
> cortisone therapy. I will look into that
> particular one.

This is a good test for you to have FG and yeah it would be worth mentioning iso-cort to your doctor before full on cortisone therapy. Not that iso cort doesn't come with the same potential side effects as cortisone therapy, it is generally considered the safer option from what ive read.

Nervine herbs can also be a helpful adjunt treatment for many with adrenal fatigue/chronically stressed or nervous related problems, especially for those who are very sympathetic dominant i.e stuck in fight or flight mode. It is the chronic activation of the HPA-axis from the sympathetic nervous system that is a common cause of burning out the adrenal glands. Nervine herbs are good for strengthening the nervous system and helping to achieve autonomic balance.

Typical nervine herbs include oatstraw, gotu kola, valerian, skullcap, passionflower and blue vervain. There are others but the above are some of my favorite. Valerian whilst usually a mild sedative, often has the opposite effect in those with adrenal fatigue and actually stimulates the individual, so should be avoided if this occurs. Oatstraw is an effective mild, calming nervine herb and is gentle/well tolerated by most. Overall gotu kola is the most effective herb for strengthening the nervous system in my opinion and is one of the richest plant sources of B vitamins which make it an effective nervous and adrenal gland support herb.

Again you should consult a professional before adding any herbs or supplements to your lifestyle.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 11:06AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 28, 2012 03:56PM

I will definitely ask her about isocort before another script is given. Do you have any comments on depression and adrenal fatigue? It's always been difficult to know what comes first, the depression or the AF. Depression is sort of a secret of mine. I fight it with all my might, try so hard not to give in to it, but the truth is, if I could get some relief then perhaps my energy would increase. Years past I've tried 5htp and tryptophan but they make me comatose.

februarygirl

Posted by: Lilahbean98 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 05:01PM

Powerlifer, so if you don't mind, I am wanting to get some herbs and stuff to help me along with my adrenal fatigue and there are several things you have recommended to people and I was hoping you could help me narrow down which ones to get on a budget. schizandra berry, jiaogulan, ashwagandha, maca, suma root, reishi, siberian ginseng, nettle leaf, amla berry, bee pollen, yucca root and cordyceps were all things recommended and I obviously can't afford to get them all. What could I get with about $100 and can you recommend how I take them? Also, since you recommend taking breaks from herbs when is it recommended to to this, after taking them for how long is a break recommended?

And out of curiosity does anyone know if there's another way to test accurate adrenal function besides a saliva test from the doctor?

And Februarygirl, I hear ya, I suffer from depression as well so anyone with any thoughts on that is good as well. It's a horrible things to live with.

Date: December 28, 2012 05:05PM

Adrenal fatigue can actually cause moderate depression through disturbed hormone levels and overall disruption of the HPA-axis. People with adrenal fatigue tend to have decreased ability to tolerate stressful events, which can have a knock on effect leaving you frustrated and depressed.

How debilitating adrenal fatigue is could cause anyone to become depressed. I know it nearly drove me to suicide because whilst everyone else was out healthy, happy, growing up i was stuck confined to my bed tired and feeling awful for years on end.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 05:07PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 28, 2012 05:16PM

Hey Lilahbean98,

Like i say sorry but it would be wrong of me to recommend individual herbs and dosages without knowing your full medical history and being qualified to do so.

Id recommend using the $100 to try and find a professional locally if you can. The money will be better spent than randomly trying products like i have done in the past, you want herbs to be tailored to your needs.

Unfortunately there is no single method of diagnosing adrenal fatigue, as such a combination of symptoms, saliva hormone and blood tests are used. There are a number of blood tests which can helpful although many are notorious for being inaccurate. As such many adrenal fatigue experts believe saliva testing is a better indicator of free and unbound hormone levels.

I know its frustrating and id love to help, but it would be wrong of me to recommend anything individualistic. One of my favorite all round adrenal support products is Adrenal Support by Gaia Herbs

You would still want to consult a professional before adding any herbs or supplements to your lifestyle.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 05:19PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 28, 2012 05:44PM

Powerlifer, thank you and I appreciate your suggestion on seeing a professional but right now I am not working and can't afford to see any doctors/naturopaths, etc. so right now I am just going to have to do the best I can on my own and do trial and error like you did so that is why I am just trying to get as much information and help from others as I can.

Date: December 28, 2012 05:49PM

Powerlifer, I understand you can't tell me what to take,however if I do purchase any of these herbs would you at least be able to recommend a good place I can trust in the states and get good quality and price to purchase them rather than purchasing them from the UK?

Date: December 28, 2012 06:24PM

Gaia herbs is a brand i really like, they produce very high quality herbal products. They are based in the US, so should be easy to find.

My trial and error was out of sheer desperation and came with lots of problems. But what im trying to say is the 100$ you have would be better spent on professional guidance rather than random herbs, there are many qualified herbalists who are cheaper than you might think and do it for the love of the job rather than for the money. At the same time there are many joker naturopaths out there who do a 2 week internet course and are suddenly a master herbalist. Not that qualification is the bee all and end all either, as i know many qualified herbalists and naturopaths who are just as poor.

If you are going to experiment with herbs then read everything you possibly can and from multiple different sources. Research each herbs uses, mechanism of action, the composition of the herb, side effects, interactions and contraindications.

I also would like to warn about self diagnosis. It is often easy enough to misdiagnose with a high level of knowledge about the human body and medicine, let alone without. The symptoms that adrenal insufficiency causes can be caused by a number of other conditions, so seeing a general practitioner is always recommended, at least if its just to rule out more serious problems.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 06:31PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 28, 2012 08:22PM

Thanks again, powerlifer. I didn't want you to think I am against or haven't seeked any professional guidance. I have tried so hard over of the years and just got worse and worse and doctors would say I was fine, nothing was wrong with me. The only indication I got was low B12 so I started that and it helpled but I was never quite the same. I could barely make it through work and even though I knew coffee was worse for me it was the only thing that helped get me through the day. I did finally found one doctor that helped and understood some because all the other doctors don't even ackowledge adrenal insufficiency as I have also seen throughout this forum that others have had trouble with as well. Finally this one doctor gave me a saliva test and it did indicate adrenal insufficiency or that I could have chronic fatigue syndrome but then while I was trying to get better I eventually lost my job and now on my own. $100 is not going to get the help I need to keep going to the doctor and keep getting tests done. That costs alot of money! And where do I find an herbalist? I didn't even know there was such a thing. So anyway, I didn't just self-diagnose myself with adrenal fatigue and that is why I search for advice.

Date: December 28, 2012 09:13PM

Sorry Lilahbean98 i wasn't suggesting that you self-diagnosed. I was more thinking out loud about what i done, which was to self diagnose and this lost me alot of time in regards to recovery. So this was just a general warning against self diagnosing which is common in the alternative health movement.

Where are you based?, maybe we can help find you someone via the forum.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 09:18PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 29, 2012 01:04PM

Lila,
since you are not currently employed, could you use this time to reduce your activity and your stress? Could you get as many hours of sleep per night as your body will allow? Can you nap during the day and get off caffeine? Shy of supplements, a whole foods diet can be affordable with vegetable soups, salads, beans, tofu and other vegan protein sources (assuming you are vegan). Sometimes we skip the basics thinking there is something out there that we need, when plenty of sleep can take us a long way. This is where I am currently focusing, reducing my stress and sleeping when possible. Not easy with a family and a job, but vital.

februarygirl

Date: January 06, 2013 04:52PM

Powerlifer, sorry to just now be getting back with you. I am based out of Stuart, FL.

Februarygirl, thank you, yes I have been taking time out for myself and sleep and don't drink caffeine and things like that. The food part is a little more difficult for me because I'm not ever really up to cooking or anything so if I had someone live in with me and provide meals for me that would be great but in the meantime I just try to do the best I can.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables