Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut oil?
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 29, 2006 07:24PM

What's your opinion/experience with coconut oil? I'm reading a book by Bruce Fife and the way he describes it, it sounds like the "fountain of youth" and the answer to everything. What da ya think?

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut oil?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 29, 2006 09:56PM

certainly not the answer to everything. but not bad tasting. i like real coconut better.

peace-

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 30, 2006 06:21AM

I don't think so. No fatty acid requirements have been identified beyond the essential ones (linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid), and coconut has very little to none of either of those.

Think about this.

Suppose you have a 1800 kcal budget for body maintenance. Suppose you devote 10% of those kcals to coconut oil. Coconut oil has very little in the way of vitamins and minerals. It is basically empty calories: no protein, no fiber, no vitamin C, only traces of vitamin E, and only traces of minerals.

Would you not be better off devoting those 180 kcals to foods that provide more than just energy, such as a variety of fruits, greens, and nuts/seeds?

I am not saying that coconut should be elminated. There isn't any harm in using a little (I would prefer coconut meat rather than a processed oil).

But I would not expect miracles from any one food--anyone who says so is probably trying to sell you something.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 30, 2006 06:35AM

Food cannot just be measured by the amount of calories they provide. Some food will bring some nutrients very hard to find in other foods.

Coconut is rich in polyphenols
Here is quote from
[www.cholesterol-and-health.com]

It simply means that coconut oil is not a good source of vitamin E. Coconut oil is still the best source of medium-chain fatty acids that boost metabolism and support the immune system, and virgin coconut oil is rich in powerful antioxidant polyphenols.
I personally do not use coconut oil, I prefer to go for the real thing. I buy mature coconut or young coconut and use a scrapper to add some to my smoothies every day.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 30, 2006 08:02AM

So why are polynesians historically so fat? This is marketing mishmash.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Flavonoids and other compounds in fruits and vegetables also strengthen the immune system. Polyphenols are also available in other fruits and vegetables that provide more micronutrients per kcal than coconut.

I use coconut, too. A little bit.

Date: October 30, 2006 07:34PM

People get fat on cooked and processed fat and cooked carbohadrate not on raw fat.
I use avocado, coconut almost everyday and I do not have a weight problem and it is the same for many raw fooders.

What are the vegetables and fruits with the Polyphenols?

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 05, 2006 04:04AM

i use it to lube my juicer.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: November 05, 2006 04:11AM

bike chain

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 05, 2006 06:17PM

I use it for you know what

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 05, 2006 06:40PM

I also use my jar of coconut oil, that I bought 5 years ago from a seminar that David Wolfe gave, to lubricate my Champion juicer after I use it to make banana ice cream.

Date: November 05, 2006 11:02PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use it for you know what

Could you be more precise coconutcream ?????

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 06, 2006 02:22AM

Personal lubricant. winking smiley

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 07, 2006 01:32AM

I use coconut oil in my hair instead of toxic gel.

Its great to use on skin (externally) as well.

I dont reccomend eating it.

Eat WHOLE coconuts to get the electrolytes, nutrients, fiber and the oil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables