Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
weight loss and health
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 03, 2013 08:56PM

hi all

so, I am still not losing any weight and in fact, I have gained some by following a more vegetarian lifestyle versus the old bloodtype diet.

I am very concerned about this and I want to stick to this, but I am not happy with the weight gain or my overall health in general.

does anyone have any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight loss and health
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 03, 2013 09:22PM

Michele,

Could you give us more detail? How much weight did you gain and over what period of time? Could you give us a sense of what a typical day's meal plan is like for you? How much physical activity/exercise?

It's hard to opine without knowing the particulars. Just shooting in the dark, but what is the ratio of whole raw foods vs. processed gourmet raw? In other words, how many vegetables, fruits vs. other raw foods, esp oils. How much sodium? Nama shoyu, etc. The weight gain might be temporary in response to increased water weight gain. If you became dehydrated on the bloodtype diet, then your body is just adjusting to a new normal and weight loss may commence after readjustment. But, I'm speculating. Fill us in on what diet you came from, and what you are eating now. The weight gain may be transitional and temporary but cannot know for sure without some idea of the change in what your are eating now vs. what you were eating before.

Paul

Date: January 03, 2013 10:29PM

I* was eating salads with chicken or fish and my weight was stable at 115. The more fruit and vegetables I eat, and not meat, I am gaining. Right now, I am at 120 but I dont feel healthy at this weight at all.

I know my body. I also think that I need to decrease my workouts.

I did have almond butter, though and more cooked foods versus raw foods... can this really make a difference.

oils.. olive oil but I am going to switch to coc oil now.

I guess I am just confused about all the information out there.

Posted by: drnicki ()
Date: January 03, 2013 11:35PM

Hi there,

For me, some key components of balancing my weight by losing over 40 lbs and reversing disease were organic green juicing, daily exercise, and letting go of wheat/gluten... for the most part. Juicing was so crucial because it allowed my body/mind/spirit system to detox and then absorb critical nurtients, vitamins, and minerals. Stress-reduction was also important, as the cortisol release during the stress response causes us to gain weight. I hope this is insightful for you. Happy to assist should you have further questions.

michelemm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi all
>
> so, I am still not losing any weight and in fact,
> I have gained some by following a more vegetarian
> lifestyle versus the old bloodtype diet.
>
> I am very concerned about this and I want to stick
> to this, but I am not happy with the weight gain
> or my overall health in general.
>
> does anyone have any thoughts?

~~~
What IS all this talk about the Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet & Lifestyle? Discover the Magic! FREE Phenomenal Video Explains How to Increase Your Energy, Balance Your Weight, & Prevent and Reverse Disease!
[ReverseDiabetesHolistically.com]

Date: January 04, 2013 12:02AM

For sure, this is helpful and thank you. I think just trying to relax is my biggest issue right now. I am certain that all the weight training I was doing was making me stressed out when I was trying to eat raw.

I am going back to yoga and cardio, that seemed to work better for me. Yes, please tell me about how many calories you think I really need to lose weight?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 04, 2013 02:53PM

michele,

This in drnicki's response stands out:

Stress-reduction was also important, as the cortisol release during the stress response causes us to gain weight.

Are you familiar with Brendan Brazier? He is a big proponent of the hypothesis that stress will counteract much of the effects of good diet if the stress is not addressed.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 04, 2013 04:32PM

Michele,

based on what you have said, I doubt that eating more fruits and vegetables are responsible for additional weight gain unless you were dehydrated previously eating salads with chicken and fish (which could be low carb and would dehydrate you as your body would be using extra water to process the high protein). It is very possible that the combination of rehydrating and taking in a little too much fat (don't know) in the form of oils and nut butters is what is responsible for the weight gain. doubt it is the fruits and veggies as there aren't enough calories there to account for that. I'd say, hold off on the oil and nut butters for now. Eat whole nuts and seeds (1 oz per day) plus fruits and veggies. Most of the weight gain is rehydrating (water)... dandilion green and cucumber are natural diuretics if you have gained too much fluid. Don't pick dandilion greens from the yard as they are probably treated with pesticides, rather look at an ethnic market or health foods store. Moreover, the rehydration should level off and you should lose weight again gradually. Give it a week or two and let us know you fare.

Paul

Date: January 05, 2013 03:49AM

Hi Paul

This makes sense because I feel the same... no way are fruits and veggies causing weight gain. However, I do think I am retaining more water plus I drink alot of water in general. I already began to cut back on the nut butters and oils, I do think you have some good points.

I forgot about cucumbers.. true I could snack on them. I eat alot of peppers for my snacks, carrots, celery, broccoli.

Thanks again.

M

pborst Wrote:
> Michele,
>
> based on what you have said, I doubt that eating
> more fruits and vegetables are responsible for
> additional weight gain unless you were dehydrated
> previously eating salads with chicken and fish
> (which could be low carb and would dehydrate you
> as your body would be using extra water to process
> the high protein). It is very possible that the
> combination of rehydrating and taking in a little
> too much fat (don't know) in the form of oils and
> nut butters is what is responsible for the weight
> gain. doubt it is the fruits and veggies as there
> aren't enough calories there to account for that.
> I'd say, hold off on the oil and nut butters for
> now. Eat whole nuts and seeds (1 oz per day) plus
> fruits and veggies. Most of the weight gain is
> rehydrating (water)... dandilion green and
> cucumber are natural diuretics if you have gained
> too much fluid. Don't pick dandilion greens from
> the yard as they are probably treated with
> pesticides, rather look at an ethnic market or
> health foods store. Moreover, the rehydration
> should level off and you should lose weight again
> gradually. Give it a week or two and let us know
> you fare.
>
> Paul

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 05, 2013 09:15PM

try eating at least one lettuce a day. The more lettuce, the more energy you will feel available, the more you move, the better things will get.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 08, 2013 01:17AM

no fat is the secret. Use only about a tsp of hemp seeds a day in smoothies. no more at all. You can detox the fat right off using green juices and smoothies. no fat!

Date: January 08, 2013 10:18AM

Good advice rawlion. If you get too skinny, throw some fat smiling smiley

Date: January 11, 2013 09:10PM

Ok, so you think that my issue is that i am eating too much fat?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 11, 2013 09:21PM

michelemm, what are the daily quantities of fats you are using?

Date: January 11, 2013 10:02PM

Prana Wrote:
> michelemm, what are the daily quantities of fats
> you are using?

Hi
I need to start measuring it. I stopped for a while, but I def have olive oil and flax seeds and nuts... hmm... almond butter. These are items that are probably keeping the weight on.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 11, 2013 10:08PM

By the way, chia seeds are a better omega-3 source than flax seed. Flax might have a slightly higher omega-3 content, but to me it feels toxic to my body. Linseed oil (which is flaxseed oil) has long been used as a paint additive. Chia seeds feel much more gentler on the body, plus they can be used to make puddings and chia fresca.

Hemp seeds are a nice balanced fat in terms of omega-3/omega-6 ratio.

Date: January 11, 2013 10:20PM

Got it, thanks. I will try getting some chia seeds... I was using them for some time, but forgot about them.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:34AM

It can largely depend how balanced the rest of your diet is, you can eat high fat and still lose weight, pending that you are metabolically healthy and are expending more calories than you consume.

People would have you believe that you can't lose weight whilst eating fat, which isn't true at all. Check your portion sizes when it comes to nuts as they are easy to over eat and with being more calorie dense an extra portions worth can add up for total calories.

Second what Prana says chia and hemp seeds are good plant sources of fats. Ill add avocado, olive and coconut oil to that as well. Coconut oil doesn't require bile for absorption and is used immediately for energy, this is good for speeding up metabolism and thyroid health.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 09:36AM by powerlifer.

Date: January 13, 2013 07:36PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> It can largely depend how balanced the rest of
> your diet is, you can eat high fat and still lose
> weight, pending that you are metabolically healthy
> and are expending more calories than you consume.
>
> People would have you believe that you can't lose
> weight whilst eating fat, which isn't true at all.
> Check your portion sizes when it comes to nuts as
> they are easy to over eat and with being more
> calorie dense an extra portions worth can add up
> for total calories.
>
> Second what Prana says chia and hemp seeds are
> good plant sources of fats. Ill add avocado, olive
> and coconut oil to that as well. Coconut oil
> doesn't require bile for absorption and is used
> immediately for energy, this is good for speeding
> up metabolism and thyroid health.
>
> [www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Yes, I am with you on the fat issue. I dont think eating fat is a "bad"thing per se, but I also understand the vitality of eating the right fats. I have read alot about the detriments of monosaturated fats...I do enjoy plant and hemp as well. Maybe the coconut oil will help, but I feel like I am at a standstill..

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: January 20, 2013 02:43AM

Hi, I have been reading this topic. Thanks. I am so discouraged. Have been 100% raw for 22 days and I know some of what I've done wrong like eating too much fat and too many nuts but I too am pitting on weight ugh! I started at 170 , went down to 166 and now up to 169 sad smiley looking for support and suggestions. I have a very difficult Time drinking enough water...I guess looking for that easy way out?

Date: January 20, 2013 03:53AM

Meadow Wrote:
> Hi, I have been reading this topic. Thanks. I am
> so discouraged. Have been 100% raw for 22 days and
> I know some of what I've done wrong like eating
> too much fat and too many nuts but I too am
> pitting on weight ugh! I started at 170 , went
> down to 166 and now up to 169 sad smiley looking for
> support and suggestions. I have a very difficult
> Time drinking enough water...I guess looking for
> that easy way out?

Hi
I hear you.. so what worked for me is cutting out the nuts/oils just for a week or so.. and I felt a ton better. I stopped eating as much fruit and focused on the "greens" it made a huge difference. Of course, I still think it is a life long process but I feel alittle better now. However, I workout alot and I think I was overdoing it... do you workout or lift weights? I think that this can effect are metabolism as well.

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: January 20, 2013 04:07AM

Hi, thank you...I don't work out but I'm active about 4hrs a day because I have a mini farm and lots of animals ...

Date: January 21, 2013 06:22PM

Thanks everyone for your help.. still moving along. I stopped weighing myself because I think that stresses me out.

I still cant figure out why I was thinner and leaner on low carb diet? what is the reason for this???? Possibly cant be the blood type issue because I am starting to see that this wasnt a good lifestyle for me. However, I def will not flourish on alot of fruit. So, what is the best way to approach all of this.. I drink a ton of water, no gluten or dairy, lots of veggies, some fruit and not eating fish anymore. Well, I do have nuts and oils sparingly, but I thought they were good for us, no?

Date: January 21, 2013 07:58PM

Your body needs time (couple years I hear) to adjust. You need to find what you like so that you become stable there. Fluids change a lot the weight and 5 pounds fluctuations could be normal. It depends where you were before. If your body was hungry, then it may pick up a few 'healthy' pounds. A fruit based diet may make some women pick up initial volume and then, after like 2 years, start shrinking. It may be related to hormones too.

Date: January 21, 2013 08:27PM

If you are intending to lose weight, are metabolically healthy and have made the appropriate dietary changes yet aren't seeing any weight loss within 2-4 weeks then it would be a good idea to look at your caloric intake, if you are taking in more than you are expending then you won't lose weight.

9/10 the issue is that the individual is taking in more calories than they are expending hence weight gain.

Weight loss should not take 2 years, no diet or exercise program should take years to show results in regards to weight loss. If you aren't seeing results then it would be a good idea to evaluate metabolic health i.e thyroid, adrenal glands, blood sugar etc.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 08:39PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:16PM

seriously, I think it might be the opposite. My caloric intake is never over 1000 and most days, I workout.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:51PM

michelemm Wrote:
> seriously, I think it might be the opposite. My
> caloric intake is never over 1000 and most days, I
> workout.

Too low calories can also be a problem by slowing down metabolism.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: January 22, 2013 10:20AM

The brain controls esketal muscles but has no say on most anything else. What controls the body are the glands and hormones. The body does not subject to mathematics because body chemistry is not really quantifiable. You could lose weight by going super low in calories but your body is going to pay somehow. I see many women doing yoyo. They go down and a tree weeks later boom. What you probably want is to be thin naturally and forever, which takes time time and patience since you are changing who you are in a deep way.

Date: January 22, 2013 02:26PM

Panchito Wrote:
> The brain controls esketal muscles but has no say
> on most anything else. What controls the body are
> the glands and hormones. The body does not subject
> to mathematics because body chemistry is not
> really quantifiable. You could lose weight by
> going super low in calories but your body is going
> to pay somehow. I see many women doing yoyo. They
> go down and a tree weeks later boom. What you
> probably want is to be thin naturally and forever,
> which takes time time and patience since you are
> changing who you are in a deep way.

Thanks. I am not even sure if I need to lose weight actually. I know I am under 120 and I am 5'4 but for awhile I was around 110-112, and felt pretty good.

Date: January 22, 2013 02:36PM

yeah, being thin help the body a lot. Extracellular fat can pinch the nerves (like for example around the wrist) and vascular vessels (and lymphatic vessels). This can cause many effects like pain (nerve pinched) or some nutrient deficiency (poor circulation to an area), which deteriorates with time. Loosing weight can be an essential element for being "healthy" and feeling good.

Date: January 22, 2013 03:15PM

Correct, agreed. And... I dont think the BMI is accurate way to determine weight. Personally, I feel best when am around 110-112 and people keep telling me that I dont need to lose weight, but it is more about how I feel.

make sense?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables