Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can something be in a jar on the shelf
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 05, 2013 06:24PM

and still be raw? I bought these kalamata olives from Trader Joe's yesterday. On the label it says they are cured with salt and vinegar. No mention of pasteurization but usually when stuff is raw, it's in the refrigerated section of a store.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can something be in a jar on the shelf
Date: January 05, 2013 07:31PM

Very cool. I have been reading about curing olives. I live near a produce market that was selling black olives for $2.99 a pound. Last time I checked it was over $20 for a case of them and I don't know how that compares to the price per pound. I just looked online for curing instructions and discovered that the reason lye is used is that traditional brining takes four months. So the lye is quicker. I won't LYE to you...winking smiley lye sounds scary. So brining it is. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2013 03:10PM

Curing renders things preserved, so . . .

Date: January 07, 2013 05:28PM

Tam, that's what I thought. But then someone said that anything in a jar on the shelf is automatically pasteurized. I may contact TJ's. Man, they are good, though. The black olives in the can are so different.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 07, 2013 05:51PM

Some olives companies use caustic soda (lye) for 'cooking' the olive and then use vinegar 'juice' to pack it and sell it as 'natural' food. Think about it, if they left the caustic soda on the bottle, people would end up with big holes on their bodies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 05:56PM by Panchito.

Date: January 08, 2013 12:07AM

Very cool link on curing olives in only one month (as opposed to 3)!

[hedonia.seantimberlake.com]

Fresh olives are going for less than $2 a pound in my neck of the woods. Woot. smiling smiley

Posted by: johnvattik2 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 06:51AM

Yes it can be in a jar and be 100% raw. Whole Foods carries certain brands of raw tahini that way for example.

Date: January 10, 2013 05:14PM

johnvattik2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes it can be in a jar and be 100% raw. Whole
> Foods carries certain brands of raw tahini that
> way for example.

That's a good point. I guess I was wondering about that suction aspect of jars. For instance, the pop made when you open certain stuff in jars. That is not present in nut butters. So I assume that like the canning process with tomatoes, that there is some way to keep out pathogens by the vacuum sealing...

Re-reading the description on the jar really makes it sound kosher. They salt cure them and then put them in vinegar.

Oh and yesterday I received a package from the Raw Food World and they contained Peruvian salt-cured olives in a plastic package. We love them. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables