Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
What to expect when first switching over to Raw??
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 05, 2013 08:53PM

Hi All,

My First question: While I know that it is certainly radical to do so, I have been planning on going straight from SAD diet to 100% Raw starting Monday. Is this ok to do?

I have many health issues and have been debilitated by them so greatly, that I feel that I have almost no life.

Health issues are chronic, debilitating migraines, am hypothyroid, depression, and very very low energy. All this for years. I am 46 yrs old.

Am on following meds (which I hope someday to be off of) and have been for many many years:

Per Day:

Cymbalta 60mg
Welbutrin XL 150 mg
Armour Thryoid 60-90 mg
Relpax (as needed) 40-80 mg

--------------------------------------------

Went to Farmer's Mkt this morning to stock up. Wish I could have found more organic produce, especially more fruit, but not much in season. I Got:

For Eating:

Oranges
Grapefruit
Fuji Persimmons
Pomegranates

For Juicing:

Swiss Chard (4 bunches)
Bok Choy (4 bunches)
3 Rutabagas
3 Beets
Lemons

Grapefruit and Pomegranates are not organic, but we actually only have 1 certified organic seller at our market and they sell 99% veggies.

I do have Organic Collards growing in backyard, but I find them icky to juice.

Sadly, for whatever reason, bananas always trigger a migraine. Perhaps after detoxing some I can try again, but for now, I can't eat them. sad smiley

Anyhow, I am soooo sick of being sick and I have a very small window in which to get help getting started on my way to getting well and healed. I have not been able to start previously because I simply had no energy to do it.

My husband was injured at work and is awaiting ins. approval for surgery and then a surgery date.

He is not into eating healthy much at all, however, he agreed to juice for me twice per day, at least. That is huge compared to nothing. He said he'd do it for up to 30 days or til surgery, whichever comes first. Guess that's why I was thinking I should go 100% so that I can feel better faster and hopefully get ENOUGH better that after he goes for surgery, I will, then, be at the point where I've finally got enough energy to care for myself healthwise/eating-wise.

I will confess that the closest I've ever been to being "healthy" was about 15-20 yrs ago when for a full 1 1/2 yrs I was a strict Vegan. Since, I've researched and have found that Raw is the highest and best way to live. It is my desire, though I certainly do have fears about being able to maintain, about detox., etc...

ANY advice you have would be soooo very appreciated!!

Here is kinda what I am thinking:

Upon rising, drink approx 2 Quarts room temp water (all I have at this point is a Brita).

After that, wait until hungry, then eat fruit til full.

Once hungry again, no matter how soon after last meal, eat fruit til full again.

Once hungry again, drink fresh juice (not sure how many ounces I ought to drink??)

Hungry - Fruit

HERE is where I get lost. Not sure when or what to eat after this. I do have 1 more fresh juice I will/can have.

I have a Vita-Mix and a Champion Juicer.

I want things to be as simple as possible. I'm not really into all this making lots of raw recipes. I, much more, like the idea of eating whole fruit. Guess I just don't know, for sure, what else, besides the juices and fruit, I should ought to eat.

Nuts?, Seeds? maybe?? What else??

I do have Spirulina, but just read last night on David Klein websites that Blue Green Algaes are actually NOT good for us. Sheesh!! Just when I think I'm doing ONE thing right. Ha!!
[davidkleinphd.wordpress.com]

Also, I would love to know what to expect in the way of detox and how I might expect to feel the first day, second day, etc. Anyone?

Something else that I have ZERO idea how to handle is my meds. How can I know when to start easing off?? My Dr. is 100% Conventional (nice guy, but clueless). Quite concerned about this aspect.

I also get utterly exhausted from any form of exercise. Too much so. However, I know that it is vital for healing and life. Any advice here? Is it critical to start right away?

Anyhow, I need guidance, advice, thoughts.....

What do YOU think?? Sorry this is sooo long. So much to ask and learn. smiling smiley

Thank you so very much!

Mindy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 08:58PM by mindy66.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to expect when first switching over to Raw??
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 05, 2013 09:21PM

just eat natural food. becareful with unripe fruits (their acidity disolves minerals in teeth). Eat lettuce to feel energetic. Eat fruits to get energy. Add "some" solid fat (not oils). And learn by listening to your body and reading forums and peoples experiences. It is a way of life

Date: January 05, 2013 09:22PM

Thanks!!!

How can one tell when any fruit is ripe?

Date: January 05, 2013 09:32PM

they are usually soft to the touch and sweeter. pineapples don't have green anymore (like all brown). avoid "green" fruits. it may take a week for your body to adjust to eating some fruits. your body can eat all but it may need some adjustment time.

if you cannot eat enough at first, it is better to "supplement" with potatoes, rice or pasta than to starve yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 09:40PM by Panchito.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 06, 2013 12:01PM

Hey,

It might be worthwhile to research into adrenal fatigue which can cause many of your problems such as secondary hypothyroidism, depression and chronic fatigue. There are tests you can get from a qualified practitioner which test adrenal gland function such as the saliva adrenal stress profile.

Here is a video i done on adrenal fatigue which contains some basic lifestyle tips. Adrenal Fatigue Recovery Tips

I don't believe raw is a nutritionally complete diet, as such watch yourself very closely if you are considering trying raw. Especially if you have any blood sugar regulation or metabolic issues.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 12:02PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 06, 2013 03:56PM

I will certainly watch it.

No offense intended when I say this, but if you don't believe that Raw is nutritionally complete, then why are you here, posting on this forum? Again, I don't mean that rudely, just sincerely curious.

Thank you for your input.

Mindy

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 06, 2013 04:08PM

I DO believe raw is all we need and as such I feel the secret to your nutrition is in juice AND green smoothies !!! I lost 225 pounds using green smoothies as my detox reset meal. We don't get enough of the nutrients out of greens by chewing them, we get so much more if we use a vita mix! All you need is fruit greens and water. You can use random supplemnts here too, like raw protein powder or hemp seeds, or a tiny bit of flax seeds or flax oil. spirulina in small amounts. If you want to detox fast and hard, which will get you to your results faster......then use very little fat if any. On days when i ate no fat I was losing 1-2 pounds PER DAY!!! If i ate a handful of almonds i lost nothing that day. so be cautious of fat in your detoxing phase. after a few weeks of eating extremely alkalyzing foods you will be able to start reducing your meds to zero slowly.

Date: January 06, 2013 04:30PM

Thank you Rawlion!

Would you say that juicing and smoothies should both be done?? If so, how often per day of each??

Thanks so much!

Date: January 06, 2013 06:05PM

mindy66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will certainly watch it.
>
> No offense intended when I say this, but if you
> don't believe that Raw is nutritionally complete,
> then why are you here, posting on this forum?
> Again, I don't mean that rudely, just sincerely
> curious.
>
> Thank you for your input.
>
> Mindy

None taken, i have been on the forum for a number of years, signed up at a time when i did think an all raw diet was possibly a healthy thing to do. But from poor personal experience, others experiences and more knowledge of nutrition i no longer think its a healthy thing to do or a nutritionally complete diet.

Also just because im not a fan of an 100% raw diet, doesn't mean im not a fan of plant foods, herbs and other living foods. Health comes with balance, i don't feel restrictive relatively new fad diets like raw are healthy, especially in the longterm. Just my 2 cents, having had similar health problems to yourself i think you may find out yourself about an all raw diet.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 06:09PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 06, 2013 08:02PM

Right now, are you vegan or vegetarian? If not, I would suggest stopping animal products for a month before going 100% raw overnight. That's what I did and it worked out well for six years. Previous to that, I had tried to eat only fruit in the morning, but couldn't because it would cause a blood sugar problem - heart pounding, shakiness, weakness. But after stopping eating animals for a month, no problem.

I would say even if you decide the 100% raw food diet isn't optimal for you long term, in the short term, you can't go wrong. But then I'm strict - no Braggs Amino Acids, no salt, no oils. I think salt is addictive and causes cravings for cooked food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 08:04PM by KidRaw.

Date: January 07, 2013 12:50AM

I'm so confused!

Date: January 07, 2013 12:52AM

Good idea or bad idea?

Once heard Charlotte Gerson say something about the importance of first cleansing liver before body starts detoxing, otherwise you will release toxins into a body where the liver is already not working and just add all the more.

What do YOU think??

Mindy

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 07, 2013 03:55AM

IMO you need professional help if you can afford it! If not then you can go to TherealTruthAboutHealth.com for good health info. You can also go to www.aliveraw.com for info from people like Brian Clement as with the other website I mentioned. You need to keep tract of your progress when going full raw and comming off your meds!
You can also call Hippocrates Health Institute for a phone consultation or find a good Holistic Practitioner in your area. There is a good article on the Thyroid at therealtruthabouthealth.com And of coarse you can get alot of good advice here if you can't afford proffessional help.

I don't believe eating lots of fruit is good for people that are as sick as you and Brian Clement would say the same thing. Some can heal this way some can't, bottom line is, you can try it that way and see what happens. But pay attention to your body, if you don't feel good this way then cut way back on the fruit especially if it is not organic. Eat lots of brown rice, quinoa, millet, vegies, nuts etc. Make yourself a priority list as to what you need to get better on your income. If you are in a low income situation this is vital. I would concentrate on getting off of those meds. and make sure to read those articles at those website about the thyroid. If you want, tell us what the drugs are for I forget these do ecept for the thyroid of coarse. Good luck and take it easy, slow and steady wins the race.

Date: January 07, 2013 01:14PM

read what a nutritionist writes about the phobias of fruit people make for different reasons

[thefaceliftdiet.blogspot.co.uk]

Date: January 07, 2013 08:48PM

So, are there any of you here who believe that when someone is as sick as I am is switching over that there should be a transition period of some supplements and perhaps less fruit, more other raw things, to first get well and THEN eventually eliminate those supplements and incorporate much more fruit?

It is so confusing when so many folks are so passionate about one raw way or another and have convincing thoughts and arguments, but they oppose each other. It makes this whole thing really hard, HOWEVER, I still really really need your input so that I can decide for myself.

Today, I woke up with a monster migraine which changed things for me. When I am that sick, I cannot take in alot of water or I will be super naseous and/or vomiting.

Thus far (and it is almost 1pm here), I have had 3 persimmons, 1 orange, 1 carrot and chard juice and 1 1/2 quarts water. Starting to feel weak.

Mindy

Date: January 07, 2013 09:08PM

Here is a SUMMARY of my very long post at beginning of this thread:

I have been planning on going straight from SAD diet to 100% Raw. Started this morning. Is this ok to do for someone like me who has chronic, debilitating migraines, hypothyroidism, depression, and very very low energy. All this for years. I am 46 yrs old.

What should my first few days/weeks look like per day as far as what I consume? What should I eat? SHOULD I supplement at first, since I am ill, to ease me into this and out of my illnesses?

I typically become exhausted/fatigued by exercise, but know at some point I need to begin. When should I start?

I do have a Vita-Mix and a Champion Juicer.

Also, I would love to know what to expect in the way of detox and how I might expect to feel the first day, second day, etc. Anyone?

Should I do coffee enemas or the like to cleanse liver before even doing any of this since my liver is surely toxic? Heard Charlotte Gerson say that if we don’t cleanse liver, we are only going to dump more toxins into system with nowhere to go since liver is already not working well. What do you think about this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 09:14PM by mindy66.

Date: January 07, 2013 09:16PM

Ive already chimed in what i think about the raw diet so you know my thoughts on that one.

But ill say again conditions such as hypothyroidism are not health problems that you can "detox" your way out of like many raw foodists will tell you. There are many causes of hypothyroidism which include deficiencies in nutrients needed for thyroid hormone production such as iodine, tyrosine and selenium, hormonal imbalances such as estrogen dominance impair thyroid function, adrenal insufficiency can cause secondary hypothyroidism and etc, etc. You'd be far safer trying to find a qualified practitioner who can help get to the bottom of your health problems especially with the medication you are on currently. With your symptoms i still recommend you look into adrenal fatigue and saliva adrenal stress profile for testing, if you can find a practitioner in your area. Post-exertional exhaustion i.e after exercise is another common adrenal fatigue symptom.

I still think you would be better off and safer with a more balanced diet, so that you are not feeling weak. I felt weak too if i ate nothing but sugar until lunch. Personally i do better with a little protein first thing to balance blood sugar. Migraines can also be caused from blood sugar problems so you may want to keep that in mind.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 09:23PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 07, 2013 09:47PM

I forgot to say there is nothing to harm with eating a higher percentage of raw foods but still maintaining dietary balance, especially if as you say you are coming from a SAD diet and are on medication.

You can get all the benefits that wholefoods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds have to offer without restricting your diet so much that it poses risk of deficiency in essential nutrients and potentially causing more health problems, especially in the long term.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 09:52PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 07, 2013 11:32PM

Here's how I'd transition to 100% raw if I were you --

Go vegan. Eat raw fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, fermented vegetables, sprouts, sea vegetables. Have a green smoothie every day. But you would also eat rice in it's various forms. There's no way I'd eat gluten containing grains or any grain sprouts.

In your green smoothie, have a fruit you like (I use a banana to keep up my weight) and vegetables (like a green, a root vegetable, etc.), sprouts, young coconut water and/or flesh, and your 'superfoods'. For example, chlorella and hemp seeds.

Date: January 08, 2013 03:42AM

Ok, so Powerlifer...

If you were me, what would you eat daily? What supplements daily?

I'd not be surprised to find my adrenals taxed. I may get them tested, but would almost like to just treat myself as if they are compromised. I cannot afford the expense of the testing. Tight budget.

Because my energy is so low, the easier the "plan" the better.

Smoothies are fairly easy since I have a vitamix. Juicing may become easier once some of my energy is restored. I have a Champion.

I will go now and look at the links you gave me.

Thank you so much,

Mindy

Date: January 08, 2013 02:24PM

Im not a qualified nutritionist so it would be wrong of me to recommend any eating plan sorry, especially without knowing your full medical history and that you are on a medication at the moment. Is your doctor any help at present?.

I know it can be tempting to self diagnose and treat yourself(i did this myself and went around in circles for a decade), an adrenal stress profile is about £60 here in the UK, im not sure if you are in the UK or not. You could easily waste a year working on your adrenal glands only to find out later down the line that it wasn't the problem at all. You will probably also waste more money on supplements which are not tailored to your needs this way.

Like i say in regards to diet you can get all the health benefits plant foods have to offer without restricting your diet so much that it may cause more problems down the line or even instantly. People tend to recommend diets like raw/80/10/10 as cure-all's without taking into account the individuals medical history or current health.

If someone has blood sugar or metabolic issues such as insulin resistance, then its not a great idea to recommend such carbohydrate/sugar/fructose rich diets and so on. Nutrition has to be tailored to your needs, if you do have adrenal fatigue then you will likely feel better with small amounts of protein and fats at each meal.

Both adrenal insufficiency and hypothyroidism can cause depression. If you asking my opinion what id do in your case, id probably up my intake of healthy wholefoods whilst still maintaining dietary balance and seek out a qualified practitioner that could offer an saliva adrenal stress profile test. Whilst trying to reduce stress and applying any other basic healthy lifestyle tips such as in my video above.

Supplements again largely have to be tailored to your needs and id suggest under the guidance of a professional, especially because you are currently on medication. Many herbs/supplements aid detox pathways in the liver which can cause medications to be excreted faster for example, let alone the possibility of interactions.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 02:31PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 08, 2013 03:29PM

mindy,

Welcome! I agree with much of what everyone else says. I will say this: Every body responds differently to going cold turkey, regardless of what one is leaving behind, so proceed with attentiveness to what your body is telling you at all times.

I would recommend easing into this, as you have pre-existing conditions and are eating SAD, rather than, if I don't mistake you, a "healthy" omnivore diet, with lots of raw fruits and vegetables in it already. Detox, such as it will be, will therefore not come and go in a short time. People who report of detox sometimes feel that, years after starting 100%, they are still processing things out. Detoxification is a continuous process and diet can help tremendously in making it more or less efficient, but rest and hydration, and environmental inluences do, too, so detox should not be the goal, but merely a means to getting to the goal: excellent health.

IMO, a big difference can be made by adding green juices and smoothies, which are hydrating and alkalizing, but which may also have lots of calories and vitamins with the addition of fruits. Sipped slowly over several hours, such drinks give small amounts of energy, nutrients and water gradually, and this does not overwhelm the system. As you feel better, start adding more fruits to the diet in servings your body can handle, and make a large pre-dinner salad a habit[everyone in this country should!]. Drink additional water as thirst arises, and do at least transition to eating a vegan dinner, if this is typically your largest meal. Eventually, you may feel a large salad is sufficient for dinner, but in any case, cut out the animal foods. They are, frankly, filthy. Make these changes as rapidly or as slowly as you can tolerate, and be mindful of how your migraine condition responds; it could be diet based.

With regard to medications, please work with your doctor to monitor their efficacy; as your diet improves, you may need to phase them out. I would caution that the thyroid condition is a tricky one. There are a lot of wonderful raw plant foods that can affect the thyroid adversely, such as cruciferous vegetables. They are filled with nutrients, so I am not warding against them, just saying you should keep track of how your thyroid is doing as you go further.

Your enthusiasm is obvious, and it is wonderful that you wish to do this right, but rushing in with conflicting information can discourage and disappoint. Especially with your disorders, it may be a good idea to ease into this lifestyle. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: January 08, 2013 11:20PM

I live in the U.S. What type of practitioner should I be looking for? My Dr. is of zero help in anything holistic. He is most definitely a Conventional guy.

Powerlifer, do you feel as though after being healed of ones ailments and diseases the 80-10-10 is something that could work well?

I did a dumb thing today.

I think that because I am a bit confused on what I should be doing, I allowed myself to jump off of my initial plan today. Had been all raw since yesterday and then late morning started feeling a bit foggy brained and lightheaded so instead of riding it out and allowing the detox to happen, I went and cooked 2 eggs and 1 pc of organic toast. Afterwards, I got so tired that I went and layed down. Fell asleep for about an hour. When I got up, my gut was in pain and has been now for about 2 hrs or more. Mad at myself.

Mindy

Date: January 09, 2013 08:55AM

mindy66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer, do you feel as though after being
> healed of ones ailments and diseases the 80-10-10
> is something that could work well?

Not in my opinion anyway especially not long term, 80/10/10 is about as far from a balanced diet that one could go whilst still eating. No one needs such a high level of sugar in fructose form, fat and protein levels are too low to be healthy long term. Then you have the risk of the usual vegan deficiencies such as B12, D, Zinc, Lack of EFA's(Essential Fatty Acids), Saturated Fats, iodine if you don't eat sea vegetables etc.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: January 09, 2013 09:21AM

Missed the first line of your post, id try to look for a conventional MD who is also trained in holistic medicine if possible, that way you know he will at least have a decent level of training on human physiology etc.

I used Geneva Diagnostic for my tests, i think they also have a branch in the US. You might want to contact them, they don't let you have tests unless you have a practitioner who can interpret them for you. As such they usually have a list of naturopath's that you can get in touch with and from there you can research and see who is the best if you do decide to go ahead.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 09:22AM by powerlifer.

Date: January 09, 2013 01:03PM

Not all nails are adrenal fatigue. Vitamin D deficiency can be confused with adrenal fatigue. If you take a supplement of vitamin D for a couple of days and you recover your energy, then you fix it.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:44PM

Too many thoughts on this thread. Everyone on here will tell you something a little different. I defeinately wouldn't go cold turkey 100% raw in your case. at least keep eating a cooked dinner for a couple months. It could be some sort of starchy carbs like rice or sweet potatoes, mixed with vegetables. Detox will probably send you reeling if you go cold turkey, but hey its your choice.

Date: January 10, 2013 05:01PM

Have been consuming 2 vegetable juices per day since starting and 1 green smoothie (well, partially green. Lots of chard and then some fruit to sweeten), fruit througout day and then salad and the like at dinner.

Interesting - Yesterday I thought I smelled a waft of yeast. Then today when I got up, smelled it again. As if it's in my nose, itself. Weird!!
Anyone??

Not trying to be gross, but just smelled the yeast again when I went pee.

I have a question. Would it be bad for my body in any way if I were to go all raw without fruit for a time until some of my issues are healed and THEN begin to incorporate it after healed?? What do you guys think???

Thank you,

Mindy

**Oh, also, wheatgrass. Good or bad? IF good, how much...how often? Thanks so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 05:13PM by mindy66.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 10, 2013 06:08PM

Hi Mindy,

Incorporating more and more raw fruits and vegetables into your existing diet is an excellent way to transition to raw foods. If fruits are causing you problems, then get you carbohydrates from cooked starchy vegetables until you can handle fruit. It is important to find ripe fruit, as unripe fruit, which is most of what is in the stores, causes problems. When I buy fruit, I usually have to let it ripen at home for at least a few days, sometimes weeks.

Also look at other places in your life that you can improve your lifestyle, by reducing stress and anxiety, and find more joy and peace in your life. As your health improves, you may find that you can let go of some of your medications as symptoms disappear.

The yeast you are smelling might be from some fermentation in your body. Pay attention to how much fat you are consuming. When I first started raw, I was eating in excess of 60% fat, sometimes as much as 80%. This is not a healthy way to eat, with that much raw fat. Having a lot of fat in the diet will hinder the body's ability to handle carbohydrates.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 10, 2013 06:10PM

Mindy,

Check out this article I wrote about success on the raw food diet:

Success on the raw foods diet

People come to the raw foods diet because of the promise of vibrant health. Many who engage in the raw foods lifestyle heal their chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. But for every story of success on the raw diet there seems to be ten stories of people who were unable to remain on the diet, either because their health was failing or because they were unable to stay away from cooked foods.

On the raw foods diet we learn that the body heals when we provide the conditions for good health; a nontoxic diet, plenty of rest and sleep, clean water, an environment free of toxins, fresh air, sunshine, exercise, mental and emotional balance, etc. So if we understand the necessary conditions for good health, why isn't it a simple matter of practicing these healthful habits and healing our illnesses?

We could do our homework, discover the diet of other successful raw foodists, eat that exact diet and have problems. Certainly there are issues of detoxification and transition and adaptations to the raw foods, but even if we accounted for all that, we could still fail on the raw foods diet.

Often before the body can heal, there is a spiritual and emotional healing that must first take place. This spiritual healing involves confronting our difficult emotions, releasing behavior patterns that are destructive and drain our energy, and making ourselves whole and complete again.

Part of the problem is that we've become fragmented people. Our minds often act as separate entities from our bodies, disconnected from the body, unable or unwilling to feel. The cooked foods help us avoid feeling our bodies; for example grains like wheat contain opioids that are addictive and sedate us. Many of us learned how to use a pizza to not feel our difficult emotions, or pasta to free us from our emotional pain. When we go to a raw diet, without the grains to sedate our emotions, we find ourselves in emotional crisis as we try to use heavy foods like nuts and avocados to provide the grounding to avoid our emotions. While these high-fat foods are hard to digest and consume a lot of the body's energy, they don't numb us in the same way that wheat does, and for perhaps the first time in our lives we are faced with confronting our emotions.

While some cooked foods serve to sedate us, other foods stimulate us. Everyone knows about the stimulating properties of foods that contain caffeine, like coffee and chocolate, and for this reasons heath-conscious people often avoid these foods. But less understood is the stimulating nature of animal products, spices, and condiments. In fact, any food with toxins in it, whether it is from the process of cooking, external additives or preservatives, or naturally occurring toxins, will have a stimulating effect on the body. As our bodies work extra hard to remove these ingested toxins, we feel a stimulating effect and it feels like these foods give us energy. If we were listening to the needs of our bodies, we would simply sleep instead of providing external stimulation to keep ourselves going. There is a disconnection from the body that prevents us from listening to its demands, which if denied long enough would result in disease.

So when starting on the raw foods diet, we are potentially faced with confronting our emotions and turn to high fat foods to attempt to sedate them. At the same time, we can find ourselves lacking in energy, which in reality is lacking in the stimulation of toxins, and we have to deal with the ramifications of stimulant withdrawal. Many will find this new state of being somewhat abusive and return to cooked foods to relieve the symptoms of a life that isn't working.

Rather than medicate the pain or symptoms away, real healing will come from removing the cause of the pain. The emotions that are stored in our bodies need to be experienced fully without judgment and released. This process requires courage, commitment and patience, to face and experience some potentially unpleasant emotions that have been bottled up inside for years. I find yoga particularly useful in reconnecting to my body, but any movement practice that requires breath consciousness can help. Reconnecting to the body provides a pathway for emotions to be experienced and released. Also useful to me is meditation, which for me is a practice of sitting in silence and focusing the attention on consciousness.

Another part of healing is letting go of that which no longer serves. Things to look at releasing are behavior patterns and thinking patterns that drain our energy. Removing our attachments like judgment, criticism, or having a preference of how the world or other people should be will release sources of our unhappiness and suffering, which should help prevent the draining of energy. Also important is to examine our relationships with people that drain our energy. Are friends and family and coworkers enhancing our lives, or does spending time with these people drain our energy? Getting in touch with the body will help us determine if these relationships are beneficial. When we become sensitive enough, we can actually feel our body become weaker in the presence of people who drain our energy. Some of these relationships may have served in the past, but now are no longer enhancing us, and we may have to let go of the ones that no longer serve.

We turn to stimulants when we believe that we need to do more work or expend more energy than is possible in a typical day. This may come from the demands of the job, responsibility to the family or loved ones, or from our own sense of self worth. The question to ask ourselves is, "What is it about myself that a normal amount of work or energy expenditure is not enough?" Do we think that we are special in some way, and need to work more than is humanly possible? Do we believe that if we don't do all this work, that we won't be loved or be lovable? Do we believe that if we can do all this work, we will prove ourselves good enough for our loved ones? These beliefs need to be examined and discarded. To heal ourselves, surrender is the answer. Because we don't have infinite amounts of time and energy, we must have faith that everything will happen exactly the way it is supposed to happen, and that abuse of our bodies is not an acceptable solution to solving the world's problems.

Healing ourselves involves becoming a whole person again. We must reconnect and make whole these fragmented parts: the separate mind, the suppressed emotions, the numb body, and the disconnected spirit. As we let go of that which no longer serves, what we are left with is the love and perfection that we already are.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables