Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What to expect when first switching over to Raw??
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 17, 2013 10:22AM

yeah, it looks low calorie. If you can, add like a smoothy in the morning. Watch out with all those acidic fruits. Your teeth sensitivity may go up. And grapeful has interactions with drugs (medication).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 17, 2013 06:52PM

Prana - What I typed in there was only up until 3 pm. After that, I had 1 more veggie juice (exactly the same as earlier one)

and then 1 big handful of raw organic trail mix (almonds, cashews, cranberries, raisins, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds)

I think that's all. Hope I'm not forgetting something.

I always make sure to feel satisfied and I am trying to go and eat again as soon as I feel hungry again, whether it be 30 minutes later or 2 hours later.

Calories before?? Yikes. I don't know. Let's see.

Every single breakfast used to be - 3-4 eggs over-medium, cooked in olive oil and 2 pieces of Dave's Killer Bread as toast with alot of butter (prob 3-4 T., maybe more)

Sometimes would later have a smoothie (4 Swiss Chard leaves, 6 lg. frozen strawberries, 1 C. frozen Blueberries, 1 C. orange juice or water, 1 t. Spirulina)

Then for lunch I'd often just eat whatever I could find. Leftovers. Whatever. Might be small amt Protein (can't mention) never did eat alot of THAT kind of protein in 1 sitting. Maybe 6 oz at most.

Dinner varied greatly -
1 night might be 6-8 Potstickers (from Costco) and 2 Cups of steamed rice.
Another night might be Spaghetti with sauce that had italian unmentionable in it (prob 2-3 C. of pasta and 1-2 C. sauce) along with 1-2 pieces of very fatty french bread that was smothered in a mix of cream cheese, mayo, butter and garlic.
Another night might be BBQ'd unmentionable, 1/2 - 1 C. roasted potatoes and onions with olive oil on them.
Tacos were another common dinner. Corn tortillas fried in alot of veg. oil. Unmentionable with spices and flour. Cheese and salsa on top. Rice always on the side. I usually ate 3-4 tacos and 1-2 C. Rice.

I should have taken your advice and started counting those calories before beginning but was just unable to do so.

I'm not positive whether or not I am getting enough calories. Don't know how many I should be getting.

Thanks Prana for continuing to help me!!

Mindy

Date: January 18, 2013 07:54AM

Dangit! Feel like I'm getting sick. HAVE to be well enough to get to Farmer's Market Saturday morn if nothing else!!

Off to bed.

Mindy

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 18, 2013 08:40AM

I think part of the reason you may be constipated is the trail mix sounds like bad food combining, plus it will dehydrate you. Also, you would do better to eat the veggie that you juice rather than juicing them, as you are losing a lot of important fiber.

Date: January 18, 2013 09:07PM

I had a feeling about the trail mix actually, so thanks for that confirmation.

As far as the juice goes, I have got to have the extra nutrients right now though, so??? Perhaps I should just have 1 juice a day instead of 2 ???

Did you guys (you and Panchito) go back, by chance and read what I used to eat daily??

Also, you both said that my calorie intake was too low, but never said how much it SHOULD be??? What would you say it should be??

Thank you.

Today is a really bad day. Woke up with migraine. Had to take meds for it as I always do when I have one and have had extreme tiredness and fatigue today that goes along with it. I don't feel so much like I'm getting sick anymore, but it is a little hard to tell right now with how I feel. I had ZERO desire for fruit this morning, so instead of cheating like I really really wanted to do, I ate a whole avocado and made an ice cream, of sorts, out of 1 frozen banana and 1 C frozen blueberries and a little bit of orange juice. Ate raw organic approx 1/2 C. whole almonds on top of ice cream. Bananas and I usually don't get along very well, although I sometimes can tolerate 1/2 of one, but today I just didn't care as I was hungry.
I don't really think that this was probably the best for me, but it kept me from eating cooked food, at least.

Havin a tough time, but hangin in.

Mindy

Mindy

Date: January 19, 2013 01:35PM

hey mindy, I think that at this point, I would try to supplement with D3 and B to get your energy levels up and feel better. When I transition to raw, I also experienced low energy. I would try to up calories to the 2000 level. Calories make glands work. The liver needs More calories than the brain. Raw food will wiken you because it detoxifies the body but the toxins need to come out first. It takes time. Drink lots of water. Be patient.

Date: January 19, 2013 04:38PM

Panchito,

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Still trying to read Herbert Sheltons pamphlet on Food Combining (Prana gave me the link). Is very interesting.

Mainly, at this point, I'd really like to just have a chart to look at so that I can plainly see what I should and should not combine.

Blessings,

Mindy

Mindy

Date: January 21, 2013 10:02AM

Because I cannot seem to get enough calories into my body, I am going to take the suggestion of a couple of you and add cooked organic brown rice. Question. When should I eat it? Morning, afternoon or night???

Thanks y'all!

Mindy

Date: January 21, 2013 10:11AM

Hi Mindy.

smart move. If I were to eat rice, I would try it at lunch time.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 21, 2013 03:08PM

Hey Mindy,

I posted this on another thread, but it applies here too...

One of the biggest challenges most people have from going from SAD to Raw is we’re talking going from about 11 grams of fiber a day to about 40-60 grams. For this reason, the best way to get your Calories and Not get Constipated and more importantly, to HEAL, is to add 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 pints of Vegetable Juice to a Raw Plant Based Diet.

However, if you are really serious about getting healthy and want to do so about 10 times faster than eating 100% Raw, drink nothing but 1 Gallon of Vegetable Juice a day for as long as it takes, which for most of my students is about 3 Months. Don’t be overwhelmed by that length of time and just take it one day at a time. I’ve coached thousands of people and almost everyone starts their Journey for a Better Life with a long, properly conducted Juice Fast/Feast.

For example, I coached a woman 2 years ago who had a host of Health Challenges, including Hypothyroidism, and on Day 50 she went to the doctor and they told her that her Blood Pressure was better than ever and that her Temperature was 98.2 and it had not been over 98 for 10 years!!! When I talked to her one week later on Day 57, she told me that her skin was no longer dry, her hair was not falling out, her nails were getting better and that her feet and hands are not cold anymore. I could go on and on and on and these are the kind of comments I hear from everyone I coach.

If you are interested, I’d be happy to email you my file on The Thyroid Gland, which is one of my most exciting files because it’s full of Testimonies from people who have gone Raw and every time they go to their doctor they have to cut back on their Meds and every time they relapse and go back to Cooked Food and they go back to their doctor they have to up their Meds.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: January 21, 2013 08:37PM

Currently I am drinking 2 juices per day. Each are approx 12-14 oz.

Usually, it is carrots, swiss chard, celery, 1/2 lemon (which I have to have because it cuts the sweetness), big handful parsley and tops of 1 green onion.

Don't know if that is a good combo for my ailments.

I don't know how much produce it would take to create 1 gallon juice but would be concerned about cost for certain. Maybe it wouldn't be as much as I think??

How long would it take to juice that much? 1 or 2 hours maybe???

Thanks again John,

Mindy

Date: January 22, 2013 07:09PM

This is just for my own keeping track. Figured this was a good place for it.
Monday, Jan. 7th was my first day Raw.

Day 1 - Migraine before I even started. BUT, I still started.
Tu 2 - Migraine
W 3 - Migraine
Th 4 - No Migraine
F 5 - No Mig
Sa 6 - No Mig
Su 7 - Migraine
M 8 - BAD Migraine (Yesterday)
Tu 9 - No Mig thus far. Yay! Buy, got one later in day.
W 10 -
Th 11 -
F 12 -
S 13 -
Su 14 -
M 15 -
Tu 16 - Bad Mig

I know that I had several migraines between 10th and 15th but have forgotten what days I did and what days I didn't

Mindy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 07:13PM by mindy66.

Date: January 22, 2013 08:24PM

Is it normal for me to be feeling more weak than usual everyday?

I've been assuming that is my body adjusting and/or my meds doin funky things.

Have lab slip to get thyroid panel done but will have to wait until a day that I don't have a mig.

It this IS normal, when would you guess I'll feel more energy?? I'm so weak that I don't want to do anything at all!

Thanks you guys,

Oh, also, what kind of Dr. should I look for? Please don't recommend a conventional. Not my cup of tea. Very unfortunately conventional is all that our insurance will cover but at this point I've got to find someone who will back what I am doing with this raw and will know how to help me know how and when to start easing off of my meds. I don't imagine that that will be for quite a while, but nonetheless I'd like to get established with someone.

smiling smiley

Mindy

Posted by: RawPlease ()
Date: January 23, 2013 12:15AM

I think chard and spinach isn't supposed to be juiced.

Date: January 23, 2013 12:22AM

RawPlease - What? Why???

Mindy

Posted by: RawPlease ()
Date: January 24, 2013 06:52PM

IIRC it is because they're too high in either oxalic acid or alkaloids. (Honestly, I made a mental note to avoid it after reading the reasons, but didn't bother remembering the details. Sorry.) How about replacing with collard greens, kale or dandelion greens when juicing?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 06:56PM by RawPlease.

Date: January 24, 2013 07:36PM

What is IIRC?

I am supposed to avoid cruciferous veggies because of my hypothyroidism, so the collards or kale, unfortunately, would not work for me. I'm pretty limited with my greens. sad smiley

Thanks for the info.

Mindy

Date: January 25, 2013 03:08AM

Though my strength is still quite weak, I had a much better day today as I did not have a migraine. Unfortunately, I've got one brewing right now.

Confession time - So, yesterday I had an extreme craving for chocolate. Don't have that real often, but it was overwhelming. We were at Grocery Outlet and they had Organic Chocolate bars so I bought 2.

Ate 1/3 of it, but wanted more. Then today, I had another terrible craving and went and devoured the whole thing. I did not feel amped up or anything, however, it is now several hours later and I am feeling anxiety, heart beating a bit fast and whether the migraine is happening as a result I can never tell since I have them so very often with or without no no foods.

Does anyone know if there is something in chocolate that my body is screaming for that I can get from a healthy raw resource?

I am soooo tired of having migraines. I can become so very discouraged, but I press on. I do so wonder if my antidepressant meds contribute, however, I'm scared to death that if I were to even reduce the milligrams, I'd be so much more non functional than I already am. Ugghhh. Don't know what to do.

I did find a Naturopath about an hour away, but my husband wants me to get a very in depth work over at Stanford first, which I've never done. Then, with results in hand, I can go to ND.

Any advice, feedback or thoughts?

Thanks all,

Mindy

Date: January 25, 2013 10:09AM

check this vid about pleasure traps

[blip.tv]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:16PM

It’s always interesting for me to analyze what people think are important because most of them always come from their limited perspective and this guy Andy is no exception. Andy, like most Psychologists, is a Blue Personality and like most Blue Personalities don’t like Red Pushy/Aggressive Personalities telling them what to do. Since I am a Triple Blue, I can appreciate this perspective more than most.

Anyway, I took a few notes and wanted to share this Knowledge, like most Blues like to do. Thanks for posting this Video Panchito, I was listening to it at the same time I was researching James Nolan’s book on Personalities and was doing so quite serendipitously and was totally unrelated to this Video, but nonetheless, as I’m searching through Nolan’s book for an unrelated topic, Andy was simultaneously talking about some of the things I was reading. This happens more and more as our Biophoton Levels keep getting higher and higher.

[blip.tv]
The Pleasure Trap
1:23:35 Minute Video

The Pleasure Trap - Pleasure Seeking and Pain Avoidance Mechanisms are Anthony Robbins’ Mixed Signals - we Love it - we Hate it. Andy talks about Pushy People, i.e. Red Personalities from a Blue Personality Point of View because Andy is Blue. Andy gives an example of the “Red” Car Salesman being Pushy or Aggressive. Andy also talks about how you can share “Blue” Information with the village that is beneficial for the village.

JR’s Notes:

1:14:48 MM
“And the problem is this - we’re designed by Nature with a tremendous desire to share Information with the village, particularly Life Saving extremely valuable Information, and so as a result, you are literally built to make sure everybody in the village knows and you feel a compulsion to share that Information because you’re demonstrating, I hate to say this because it’s largely unconscious, you’re demonstrating your value, ok? You’re showing what you can bring to the village. Look at what I’m bringing to the village. Look at what I’ve discovered. You know that you’re right. You know that it could be very valuable.

If it were anything else, if it were a new way to do needle and thread, if it were a new way to, you know, warm up the teepee, if it was any other innovation that was of this significance - it could better human life, it would be welcome and people would be excited and you would get all kinds of credit for it and it would be fantastic, right? And you’re anticipating that when you say, oh, guess what, I just found out how you can get rid of your Adult Onset Diabetes and get off all of your medication and have a life for crying out loud so you don’t have to retire in a wheelchair - you get to walk around Paris. It’s incredible - let me tell you, ok? And we’re expecting, oh really, tell me, show me. That’s not how it’s going to happen, ok? What’s going to happen is you’re going to tell them that all they have to do is get rid of everything that bangs the neural circuits the hardest that tells them they’re doing the right thing. You know - meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products, oil, salt and sugar - it’s what’s going to tell them. If you just say it fast enough, it hardly feels like you’re giving up anything, ok?

Audience member: So is that a threat?

So that’s the problem and so as a result, you’re not only talking about reducing their immediate Pleasure (so that), but they know that they’re not going to do it, so you put them in a Motivational dilemma so that if they if they do this, they get this big pay off, but then, the problem is that they’re probably not going to do it because they can actually sniff the Addictive Disaster that’s in front of them. And so then, they’re going to look like a Fool and a weakling that doesn’t have the self-discipline so they’re going to lose more status with you. But they didn’t take your clue - it’s like a nightmare.

So one of the worst things you can do - it’s like a bomb going off in your living room - is to start educating people about this most valuable Information, which is why I don’t do it. I mean I’ve only blown off my foot, socially, about 500 times before I figured this out, so now I don’t do that.

So now what I do is just say, hey, I read this book - I don’t think the guy is right or not - it’s kind of interesting - he probably doesn’t have everything right - it’s probably got a lot of things screwed up - it’s a book called The China Study. This guy - I don’t know if he’s a wacko or not. That’s what I do, ok, because now if they pick it up and they sense that there might be a problem… What you’re trying to do is get them to preach to you. … Go ahead and put some uncertainty in there - you put the uncertainty in there - now they’re going to be more willing to march your direction and investigate. Why? Because they’re out of the Ego Trap they don’t have so much to lose from that - that’s how we get out of it.” 1:18:56 MM

Peace and Love..........John

PS What Andy was describing is what happens when people Shut Down their Frontal Lobe and Run to Denial to Protect their Pleasures.

Date: January 25, 2013 07:34PM

Hi JR

Good quotes to keep. The thoughts in the mind are all connected and in one place smiling smiley When I became raw, I had a hard time recognizing that some of my goals (and habits) were making me unhealthy. It takes many moons to change and it is slow. It is like discovering you were pedaling in the wrong direction with heavy luggage you no longer want. All the sudden you discover you were a hoarder of goals/habits/things that have no value now. Probably, the older someone is at the time of change the worst or harder it hits.

Date: January 25, 2013 09:40PM

Yes, and the frontal lobe is where all reasoning takes place.

Interesting stuff.

Mindy

Date: January 30, 2013 04:55PM

Just thought I'd share with those of you who have been helping me along the way.
I am going to my primary Dr. tomorrow for 2 reasons. First, to get my thyroid panel results. Also, I am (for the first time ever) going to ask him to reduce my dosage on one of my 2 anti-depressants (which I've been on for many many years). Am excited and a little scared. But, mostly excited.

If I'm able to handle it, I will continue asking him to reduce my meds, but very very gradually.

Mindy

Date: February 01, 2013 02:05AM

Went to Dr. today.

He cut one of my two anti-depressants (Welbutrin XL) in half. I am excited and a bit scared too.

Also found that my thyroid is a bit wacky, so upped my dosage of Armour from 90mg to 120mg.

Here are my thyroid panel results if anyone might be interested. Perhaps you understand a bit better than I.

Free T3 was 4.3 (Normal Range is 2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL)
TSH was .04 (Normal Range 0.40 - 4.5 mIU/L)
Free T4 was 1.1 (Normal 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL)
T3 Total (Triiodothyronine) was 140 (Normal 76 - 181 ng/dL)

Feel free to contribute any thoughts about my test if you would like. I'd be interested to hear feedback.

Mindy

Date: February 01, 2013 02:15PM

Hope you get better. I apologized because I took a looky at the Armour reviews

[www.consumeraffairs.com]

And I understand why you want to stop taking that 'medication'

Frustrated!
Date: February 11, 2013 03:54PM

I am so frustrated with things right now. Annoyed as well.

I am struggling alot to eat enough calories apparently.

Whenever I get hungry, it's like a panic mode every time. As soon as hunger strikes me, it's as if I am ravenous. I can do nothing at that moment other than find food immediately. Don't like it as I get weak and shaky and as I said paniced.

So, yesterday my husband and I did some yard work for some older folks who needed help. Within 10 minutes...15 tops, I was shaky and super weak and could not go on. I am a determined person too, especially when helping someone, which is one of my favorite things in life to do, so giving up is not usually an option for me. However, I literally could NOT go on. I was so angry. I had just eaten a big salad a few minutes before starting thinking that would give me the needed energy to work. I had 2 choices. Go get something to eat or quit and watch my husband (who has a very bad back) work alone. I chose to break my diet and run into town and grab something. Found a mexican rest. and grabbed a bean and ch. burrito. It was a very large one. I scarfed that sucker down like I'd never eaten before. I have to say that it was delicious. And...I was able a few minutes later to get back to the physical labor. Though I still wasn't 100%, I was at least able to work.

Then, this morning. I woke up with a migraine for the first time in 8 days. Ugghh!! I've no doubt that it was either from the white tortilla or the ch.

How in the heck can I get a ton more protein in me? and even more so for days that I know I will be expending alot of physical energy?

Got to find out what raw vegan pro athletes do.

Would adding legumes that are soaked and then cooked help??

ANY advice will be very greatly appreciated!

Searching...

Mindy

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: February 11, 2013 04:28PM

Some inspiration from pro tennis player Venus Williams:

[www.examiner.com]

[www.rawbc.org]

I'm not advocating a less than 100% raw diet by posting this. I just thought it might help you. Note that when she "cheats" she keeps it simple.

Date: February 12, 2013 03:10AM

Thanks Swimmer!

Mindy

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 14, 2013 09:26PM

Would adding legumes that are soaked and then cooked help??

Lots of sprouted legumes, seeds and pseudograins. You can easily get tons of calories and protein by making smoothies with the above, and then fill the rest of the blender with green sprouts (which actually have tons of protein - 3 tbsp alfalfa before sprouting turns into over 12 grams of protein when sprouted, + the sprouting process causes an increase in the levels of 17 different amino acids).

I don't think your problem is protein, I think it's calories and fats. You know, I used to completely stuff myself with fruit (to the point of being bloated), and still be weak + cold, even though my hunger went away. A day spent eating tons of fruit always left me very weak and shaky even if I had 2000-3000 calories, but if I instead had sprouted legumes, pseudograins and seeds I'm strong and energetic all day even if I only ate around 1200-1500 calories. There's just something about fruit that seems to prevent it from giving you the necessary energy you need, or maybe that's just the case for certain people (I had adrenal and thyroid issues). Obviously it isn't working for you, though, which is what matters.

Before eating cooked legumes, try incorporating raw sprouted legumes + pseudograins, and plenty of sprouted sesame seeds. Fruit never really filled me up and gave me energy liked cooked food did, but sprouted legume + pseudograin smoothies fill me up for hours and give me lots of consistent energy throughout the day. And don't neglect your fat (sprouted sesame), fat is very important for good health. If you're cleansing it's a different story, but it seems like you should just find a stable raw diet first.

Date: February 14, 2013 11:43PM

LF,

Thank you so much!

Ok, so here's the thing:

Firstly, I just flat out don't like the taste of sprouts. I soooo wish that I did. Therefore, should I just try to mix them into a fruit smoothie or sweeter juice maybe so that they are palatable?

Secondly, if I were to choose to cook them, how would I do that properly? Would I soak them for anymore than the typical 24 hrs?

Do you know of a website anywhere that gives calorie and nutrient content of different types of sprouts according to a given measurement?

I most definitely need to cleanse at some point, however, I've not yet been able to make it (most days) without at least 1/2 of an avocado. I also have raw sesame seeds and/or raw pecans on my salads often times, but not always.

I think you are right that I need to get stabilized on a raw diet that works well for me first and really get that down pat and then go for the cleansing. What I am wanting to do is a minimum of a 10 Day Juice Feast. Perhaps, my next goal really ought to be learning all that I can about sprouting and then start actually doing sprouting myself.

We really really need to get our backyard garden figured out too. We need to figure out what we're going to plant and then order the plants.

My husband just had knee surgery today, so he will be out of commission for quite sometime. Therefore, it will be up to me to do most chores including household, health and garden, oh my! ha ha.

I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment and have had to cheat alot of late as we have been out and about and away from home (all day ventures) for about the past 5 days in a row. Being out and away from home has really revealed to me how low my will power is. My wanting "bad" foods is almost always connected to visual. In other words, when I see it...I WANT it and WANT it badly! Sometimes the wanting it is very overwhelming and overpowering. When I am at home and have no access to such things, I do much better. But, I can't be a hermit, so I need to learn how to address these strong temptations and figure out a better plan for taking food with me everytime. 'Tis a struggle.

Me, in a nutshell, currently.

Thanks once again LF. I've probably overstayed my welcome on this forum, but really need the help, guidance and accountability.

Mindy

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables