Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What to expect when first switching over to Raw??
Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 18, 2013 05:16PM

I bet you'd like sesame and sunflower sprouts (only sprout for 1-2 days). They have a pleasant nutty flavor.

Also, do you like sour foods? If so, fermented sprout milk might appeal to you. It works best with pseudograin or grain sprouts (best to avoid grains though). I mostly use buckwheat, although millet and oats would work too. You take the sprouts and blend them with water or rejuvelac (more liquid for sprout milk, less for a thicker yogurt/porridge). Then you inoculate it with some sort of probiotic (rejuvelac, commercial probiotic, kvass, sauerkraut juice, etc) and let it ferment. In summertime it may only take 12 hours, in the middle of winter it may take up to 48 or more. Experiment and see what works best for you; it's ready when it is nice and sour.

After the first batch, save a little in the fridge and you'll never need another starter again.

Fermented sprout milk has much more enzymes, b vitamins and vitamin c then even fresh sprout milk, + it's a great source of probiotics. Definitely worth making into a staple.

Ordinary sprouts are an acquired taste though, few people like the strong sprouts at first. But your taste buds will adapt if you give them a chance. And hey, sprouting is FUN! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:19PM

Thanks LF!

Having a really bad day, so will re-read this later when able to digest a bit better. No pun intended. ha ha!!

Mindy

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 23, 2013 11:58PM

Buckwheat, quinoa, kaniwa, amaranth. Millet and oats are OK grains.

I personally don't like the idea of eating raw quinoa even sprouted + fermented, I'm not sure if some saponins remain so I avoid it. I'd love to try kaniwa if I could find a source to get it in bulk.

Also others like sorghum and teff, but I've been completely unable to find a good source for them so far.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:10PM

This is so inspiring, I really love it.

I believe in raw foods in general. However, I do believe we are individuals who might feel better with some cooked foods.

Eating meat is harming others and I just do not resonate with this at all. smiling smiley))
It is a spiritual journey as well.

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables