Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What does 80/10/10 Diet consist of?
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 08, 2013 03:52AM

Thanks!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What does 80/10/10 Diet consist of?
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: January 08, 2013 08:10AM

Lots and lots and lots of fruit, and fruit and more fruit and basically more fruit, with some greens thrown in, but basically lots and lots and lots of fruit.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 08, 2013 10:07AM

breakfast: fruit
lunch: fruit
dinner: large salad with some fat (nuts, avocado,ect) but not a lot

drinking water, sleeping 8+ hours, exercising the body

Date: January 09, 2013 01:38AM

So, no cooked??

Thanks again.

Have either of you been on it and is it advised to live on it forever?

M

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 09, 2013 01:54AM

There can be cooked during the transition. Some folk doing 80/10/10 will include steamed vegetables as part of their diet when they can't have access to ripe fruit. But for the diet, fruit is considered the ideal food.

I did 80/10/10 for over 8 years, but nowadays I am including more fat and some gourmet raw foods. The stuff I eat that are not part of the diet are fermented foods and spices in addition to the extra fat.

I did very well with the diet, and I may go back to it later. But some people don't fare well with it. It is a very cleansing diet, and even if it isn't right for you long term, it has benefits of cleansing and healing in the short term.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 09, 2013 02:41AM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots and lots and lots of fruit, and fruit and
> more fruit and basically more fruit, with some
> greens thrown in, but basically lots and lots and
> lots of fruit.

Thank you for the very technical description on this complicated subject, laughs good humor thank you. You forgot one thing, bananas, lots and lots of bananas. Why, because no one can afford to eat that much fruit, well not no one but surely not me. Dam sugar addicts, o wait that's me to lol.

Date: January 09, 2013 03:35AM

Thanks all for your feedback.

Prana, what is the best you've ever felt? Now, on the 80-10-10 or something else? Curious.

Is there somewhere online that I can find info on how to follow the 80-10-10?

Thanks so much to you all for helping me through this tough time.

Mindy

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: January 09, 2013 05:02AM

does anyone know if rice is a better choice than potatoes or vice versa when fresh, ripe fruit is not available? whats the next best carb after fruit?

Date: January 09, 2013 06:48AM

Mindy, you ought to buy the book. You can get it at Amazon. There is a facebook group called 80/10/10 & Raw Vegan Compassionate Support Group.

I don't think my health has changed one way or another since changing away, though I weigh 150 now, and back then I weighed 140 (at 5'10" ).

You have to really love fruit to do 80/10/10, and I love fruit.

Date: January 09, 2013 10:21AM

I think both are OK but I would prefer potatoes better. Having said that, the bad things about potatoes are the high glycemic index and the high oxalate content. Rice can be too pasty if eating in large quantities and slow down your GI movements. So the question could be refrased as, what's better grains or tubers? Anyway, I would eat them with lettuce to push them through and help.

fruitylou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does anyone know if rice is a better choice than
> potatoes or vice versa when fresh, ripe fruit is
> not available? whats the next best carb after
> fruit?

Date: January 09, 2013 10:24AM

Hey Mindy66. Some people seem to have had a negative experience with 801010 while others had a great experience. It depends on who you aks, you'll find a different answer. It is easy to justify either one. I think you'll find that in ALL diets

Date: January 10, 2013 11:16PM

Yes, Panchito. True. Leaders of any diet movement can sell well. What I want to know is about people who have been doing this a really long time successfully. Would love feedback from them.

Posted by: FitCurvyRaw ()
Date: January 11, 2013 04:31AM

80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat. I typically eat 2 large fruit meals followed by a savory meal for dinner that contains fruit, non sweet fruit, greens and a dressing (sometimes containing a small amount of fat).

Date: January 11, 2013 10:19AM

The most dramatical positive effect is on people overweight.

Here is a free book that has some theroy behind the evolution of the 801010. But Some people recommend the 801010 itself ($$$).

[www.soilandhealth.org]

good luck.

Date: January 11, 2013 08:04PM

Thanks guys and gals!

While I am overweight, it is not my focus at all. My health is. If losing weight happens, then that will be a great bonus to me. My health is so so poor that it is my total focus.

Thanks for the info. Will ck out FitCurvyRaw.

May I ask what some ideas are for what to use for the fat and protein portions? Also, when you say 80% carbs, does that include ALL raw fruits and veggies?

Mindy

Date: January 11, 2013 10:03PM

No not all raw fruits and vegetables, as some raw fruits and vegetables are not edible, and some raw fruits and vegetables are not high in carbohydrates. Avocados for example, are a raw fruit that is mostly fat.

Everything has some protein. On raw, fats are best from whole foods, like avocados, young coconuts, nuts and seeds. Nuts have higher protein than fruits, though some vegetables can be high in terms of caloric proportions in protein. Many nuts though are highest in fat, say like macadamias.

Date: January 11, 2013 10:17PM

So what fruits and veggies are inedible?

Thx

Mindy

Date: January 11, 2013 10:44PM

There must be tons, just think of all the plants and some of their fruits and berries you don't eat in your garden or growing in the wild. But of stuff you can buy in a grocery store, rhubarb shouldn't be eaten raw, as well as many of the starchy root vegetables and hard squashes. In fact, many of the vegetables that people cook don't digest so well eaten raw.

Date: January 11, 2013 11:58PM

The juices that my husband is making for me are proving to be too sweet for me. They are carrots, chard, celery, etc. After he makes them, I've added fresh lemon to them and then I like them. The carrots are just too sweet for me. After eating fruit all day, I guess I want my juice to be on the savory side.

My question is, is it ok for me to add the lemon? Digestive-wise?

Mindy

Date: January 12, 2013 12:17AM

Since juices aren't high in protein or starch, lemon juice ought to be OK. Acid fruits like lemon work really well with fats.

Date: January 12, 2013 12:29AM

Aren't carrots starch?

Mindy

Date: January 12, 2013 12:46AM

Mindy, why don't you try it and see how it digests?

Date: January 12, 2013 02:46AM

This is probably going to sound really dumb, but I'm not sure I really know how to gage how something is digesting. Sorry. The only way I know to tell that it's not digesting well is by gut pain. If there are other things outside that, I don't know what they are or what to look for.

Mindy

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 12, 2013 02:49AM

I have found that after a while on a high-fruit (yay) diet, root vegetables don't digest very well, including carrots. I will only have them ocassionally.

Date: January 12, 2013 03:11AM

Even juiced?

Mindy

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: January 16, 2013 04:56AM

You have to listen to your body. For me, that's too high a pecentage of fruit. Unless you're a super-athlete, you probably won't have much use for all of that extra sugar.

Also, our take on the "raw" food pyramid: [fresherthanlife.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 05:06AM by fresherthanlife.

Date: January 18, 2013 09:13PM

fresherthanlife - sorry, not sure what you are referring to when you say that "that's" too much sugar for you. Do you mean juice or eating high percentage of fruit in diet??

If you are referring to juicing, I juice 3-4 carrots and lots of greens. No fruit.

Mindy

Posted by: brome ()
Date: January 27, 2013 09:36AM

Michael Arnstein, fruitarian ultra marathoner, in Outside and Details magazines:

[www.details.com]

[www.outsideonline.com]

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:58AM

Mindy, I am referring to the high percentage of fruit. Naturally I seem to prefer more salads and wraps, and that feels better to me.

Date: January 28, 2013 01:29PM

Some people don't respond well to fruit. It is hard to tell why. Usually this happens more frequently with women. Maybe since they have higher fat it affects them this way. Maybe it is because of the hormones or being low in chromiun. I can eat all I want without feeling bad but this does not mean everybody is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 01:30PM by Panchito.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables