Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

broccoli sprouts sulfuraphane
Posted by: amazi ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:24PM

I just started sprouting in an attempt to rid myself of H. Pylori. According to wiki on broccoli sprouts;

"Eating the raw, unsprouted seed could provide high amounts of sulforaphane, but seeds also contain the antimetabolite erucic acid, which is metabolized during sprouting, so eating seeds is not recommended."

I was hoping someone here would know at what point would it be safe to consume broccoli sprouts? That is when is the erucic acid in the seeds completely gone? Is it once the roots start to show - 3rd day sprouting? Or do I have to wait until I have the complete sprout - 5 - 6 days?

I'm trying to get the sulforaphane in my diet and on a daily consistent basis until this bacteria is gone. It would free up my time if I don't have to sprout for so long. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: broccoli sprouts sulfuraphane
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 17, 2013 09:04AM

You might want to research into mastic gum and licorice root both which have proven to kill H.Pylori.

As always consult a professional before adding any herbs or supplements to your lifestyle.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:35PM

amazi,

Broccoli sprouts are fine and I consider them a food.

H. pylori responds favorably to antibiotics, so maybe look into a natural ones?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 17, 2013 03:28PM

Amazi,

I don't think you have to have the erucic acid completely gone in order to safely consume it. The quantity in broccoli sprouts is well below the exposure limit. [onlinelibrary.wiley.com].

The West article calculates the content of erucic acid in broccoli florets, sprouts and seeds at 0.8, 320, and 12,000 mg/100 g (strange units, I'm used to mg/kg or ppm). They conclude using erucic acid guidelines for canola oil that the erucic acid content for the florets and sprouts is inconsequential but that the seeds would exceed the limit pretty quickly with only 35 g (a little more than an ounce) per week. I'd just go ahead eat the sprouts when they get about an inch long and make sure there aren't any seeds in the mix.

Paul

Posted by: amazi ()
Date: January 17, 2013 09:21PM

powerlifer. I will be starting on mastic gum once it arrives in the mail. I've been using your recommendation for bitters. Aside from that; apple cider vinegar, Oregano oil, aloe vera, cayenne, crushed red pepper, ginger, d-mannose, fermented probiotic foods, b12, turmeric, papaya seeds, coconut oil, garlic (lots), vitamin C etc.

I've been adding these little by little as it's not going away. I keep finding new suggestions online but I'm hoping the above protocol should be sufficient with the mastic gum and sprouts added.

pborst. Thanks for finding the answer. This is precisely what I was looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables