Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hyperventilation
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 31, 2006 02:13AM

Here's what has been going on. WHen I first went raw, I had gotten this spell of hyperventilation, it was after I ate a salad with flax seeds in it. Then about a month later, I had another spell. Well, it has been 4 months starting out on mostly raw. I have been good about being 100% for over a month now with one slip up. Well, the other day I had another spell. Very scary. I didn't know what to do. Well today, about 1/2 hour earlier I felt it coming on again, so I breathed into a paper bag then drank some water. I am fine now. It happened after I ate some Brazil nuts this time. I haven't had these spells on the SAD diet. Why am I getting them on the raw diet? I love to eat raw and feel health except for those times. Is it raw that is causing this? What could be going on? Anyone else experience this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2006 02:14AM by shep252.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hyperventilation
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 31, 2006 06:18AM

Hi Shep, glad to hear you feel better!

Listen to your body, it's trying to tell you something is off balance. I'd visit your Doctor as soon as posible. I'd also maybe think of posible nutritional deficiancies that could be occuring. You may be malnourished in some nutients.

Sounds like an anxiety/panic attack to me, though I could be wrong. But something is not right, and I'd bet it is a deficiancy.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 31, 2006 10:15AM

You might be allergic to certain types of nuts and/or seeds.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 05, 2006 05:29AM

i met someone and they told me once that only certain people can be on a raw diet because when you have so much life energy flowing through your body one must know how to deal with it. it may overwhelm some people he said. he said one who is on an all raw lifestyle must learn to pray, and pray a lot because this is the most efficient way to utilize this energy.

take that for what you will.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 05, 2006 12:49PM

it sounds like some sort of emotional cleansing reaction, perhaps repressed fear escaping.

raw foods are physically cleansing and also free up stuck energy - anxiety, anger, frustration etc.

learning a meditation technique and practising deep breathing would be helpful in dealing with panic attacks and stress in general. i do not feel the food is necessarily the problem although, of course, some people are particularly susceptible / allergic to certain foods....

paz

Date: November 05, 2006 09:37PM

I found out what it is. My ph levels were all over the place, so now I am trying to do a balancing act with my food.

Date: November 25, 2006 12:08AM

UPDATE: I found out that the reason I was hyperventilating was my thyroid is acting up. I have auto-immune thyroid which means my body is attacking my thyroid and it is dying. sad smiley That is a reason my pH is all over the place, also. I need to eat more alkalizing foods to tame it down, such as organic bananas. So all of this hyperventilation stuff had nothing to do with raw foods. I wish raw foods could heal my thyroid.

Posted by: mimi ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:54PM

My story too. I have attempted the raw foods lifestyle so many times only to quit when i couldn't breathe right. It can get very scary for me. I am currently on a quest to figure out what it is that makes me react this way. For myself though, I can get this even when eating more cooked foods but it definitely occurs two to three days after eating well. I even tried moderating it and my body still reacts this way.
It's a combo of hyperbreathing but also not being able to get a full breath or like getting half yawns.
I am taking a different approach this time and am using a heavy metal cleansing product first and then will go back and try again.
Someone also suggested I may have a thyroid issue so I will get that double checked. I also wonder though if the thyroid will go bonkers when the body is going through cleansing and there is not really anything "wrong" with the thyroid persay. Hmmmm. Somethng to ponder. What do I know anyway.. Ha!

Date: November 28, 2006 07:58PM

Thanks for your story, mimi. Sounds like what I went through, except my arms and hands would go numb.

Well, I have had thyroid problems for 5 years now, but started acting like auto-immune starting in the summer, around the time I started eating mainly raw. It seems to be doing a lot better since I started to eat a vegatarian diet again. I took some alkaline supplements for about a month and a lot of symptoms from acidosis disappeared. So I am thinking that my thyroid was going haywire because I can't metabolise acids from fruits that I was mainly eating. My pH levels are normal again, and I am not getting any hyperventalation spells. Still waiting on my thyroid tests, but I feel it is stable now.

What things do you eat when you would get those spells, mimi? Did the spells happen at night?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 07:59PM by shep252.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables