Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thyroid
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:52AM

Does anyone think that going low carb for a lengthy period of time can cause thyroid damage? or effect my adrenal glands? I def need to speed up my metabolism somehow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thyroid
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 28, 2013 01:23PM

I know high protein diet can cause kidney damage. But maybe you don't have problems with the thyroid. How do you know your low energy is caused by the thyroid? Did you have a check of some type? People need D vit to feel energetic and this can also cause low energy (and more problems).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 01:25PM by Panchito.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 28, 2013 02:30PM

Michele,

Only if one has a precondition and is consuming a large amount of goitrogens without iodine-rich foods. It's more complicated than that, but that's been my experience.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 28, 2013 05:39PM

Hmm... ok, so I sent my doctor a message but I might be overanalyzing too much. Maybe I am just dealing with the fatigue of going to low carb, is that possible? Vitamin d!! I forgot, I am in WI and moved from CO.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 28, 2013 06:01PM

Michele,

I would reconsider going low carb in the first place if your goal is optimal health. To me low carb implies higher levels of protein and fat to compensate for the displacement. Depending on what you were eating before, that is not a good move. Any protein your body can't assimilate gets flushed to the kidneys and can acidify the body. You don't need the extra purines. Extra fat is more calorically dense and less sating. We need some but not for offsetting carbs.

Consider going smart carb instead of low carb. Fresh fruits and if there are issues of sugar emphasize temperate fruits instead of tropical and more nutrient dense such as stone fruits (plums, peaches, nectarines, cherries), berries and lower sugar fruits such as melon and citrus. Limit higher sugar fruits and tropical fruits mangos, bananas, and grapes to one serving per day. Avoid fruit juice and dries fruits. Add starchy veggies such as winter squashes, sweet potato, and beets. Include some bean sprouts principally mung bean and lentil. Finally, sprouted grains such as oats, kamut, barley and buckwheat can help support a smart carb approach. Put the former against empty calories of oil or vegan gourmet foods. I'd rethink low carb. Consider low sugar & smart carb instead.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables