Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Just bought my first DULSE ever.... Help!
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:45PM

Hi all,

Just bought my first ever Dulse through my Co-op. It is Maine Coast brand Certified Organic. Just a 4 oz. bag for starters this time.

I haven't even opened the bag yet and no kidding, it smells AWFUL!!! Super super fishy. Never have been a fish person to begin with.

I want to incorporate into my diet somehow, but am a little concerned that it will likely taste like it smells. Icky!!!

Nonetheless, I am very open to ideas. Please post up what you do with yours if you would please. I have no idea how to eat this stuff.

Thanks so much!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just bought my first DULSE ever.... Help!
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 30, 2013 06:16PM

When I used to eat dulse, I would rinse the dulse with water to remove all the salt.

Date: January 30, 2013 07:54PM

HOW did you eat it though? Just straight or in a smoothie???

Mindy

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 30, 2013 07:57PM

Mindy, why don't you just TRY it? What is the big fear? Also, don't you talk to people in your co-op about using it? I just put it in salads. It's no big deal. If someone smells weird, so what?

Date: January 30, 2013 10:51PM

Mindy, here are some recipes that contain dulse: Recipes with dulse.

Date: January 30, 2013 10:53PM

Here are some more: recipes with dulse.

Date: January 30, 2013 11:36PM

Thanks Prana!

Banana - I will be trying it despite the smell. Just needed to know how to do so as I certainly don't want to eat it straight. My nose is usually a fairly good indicator of whether or not I will like something.

I haven't asked anyone in Co-op about it, but that is a good idea. I guess I prefer you guys, here, over them since you are all raw. Not one member in my Co-op is. I asked on our Facebook page one time and got only one response from someone saying that they were just interested in it. Small group.

You said, "If someone smells weird, so what?"
I don't mind smelling a little weird, but it was the smell of the dulse that I was referring to. smiling smiley

Thanks you guys!

Mindy

Date: January 31, 2013 12:56AM

Mindy, sorry if I came off too strong. I just know so many people who are very apprehensive about eating new things. Dulse and nori are my faves. I just bought a pound of dulse from Maine Coast after being on their mailing list for a year smiling smiley
I do eat a bit of sprouted bread and love to make DLTs--dulse, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. Yum!

It's also just good as is on salads.

Date: January 31, 2013 01:03AM

Mindy, if something doesn't smell good to you, don't eat it. A bad smell is your body telling you that something is not right. If you do choose to eat the dulse, and you get sick, well, at least your body warned you not to do it!

Date: February 01, 2013 01:57AM

Banana,

No prob. Actually I am not afraid of much as far as trying food goes. I have always been quite adventerous with food and willing try most anything...within reason, that is. smiling smiley When I was still eating SAD, my husband and I always found it very frustrating when we wanted to go out to eat with friends as noone, except one couple, appreciated food (especially different ethnic foods) like we did. Unless the restaurant appeared dirty, we tried most anything and usually enjoyed it alot. Funny that most of our friends would say, "Let's go to Applebees" or something of the sort. Ick!

Oh, and I already tried the Search engine here before asking. I really didn't find a whole lot, so thought I'd ask y'all.

Prana, yes I was wondering about that very thing. However, here is my question regarding something smelling bad. Doesn't Dulse smell bad to everyone?
I love(d) sushi (gotta learn how to make raw sushi) so I guess I like Nori just fine. Not sure if I'd love the smell if given a whole bag full??? What do you think?

Thanks again you guys. You have helped me sooo much!

Mindy

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 01, 2013 02:20AM

I don't eat salt if I can help it, so sometimes I use sea vegetables to give that savory flavor to raw food recipes. Dulse is my favorite. The flakes are good to sprinkle on soups or whatever, spreads in wraps, etc. And it gives loads of taste and flavor to prepared dishes. Also, in summer my daughter loves the good field tomatoes sliced with pieces of dulse sort of soaked on top. Yummy. If you eat miso, you can make a raw miso soup in the winter with pieces of dulse, scallions, sesame seeds, avocado pieces, spinach, sprouts, mushrooms. Warm it slightly in the oven. Yummy. Also if you make your own fermented vegetables, use sea vegetables instead of salt. You only need a little bit, though. Think how healthy it is and you'll appreciate it even more.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:28AM

mindy66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..... I have no idea how to eat this stuff.

The best way to eat Dulse is in a Green Smoothie. You might also add Chlorella. Forget Salads...too much chewing, and only a small amount of the salad is masticated well enough to extract nutrition......WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:26PM

Dulse smells and tastes very good to me,as all the seaweed. And it tastes exactly like smoked fish smiling smiley, and I eat it straight up. While I'm vegan, and it's been years since I've eaten fish, I used to love it very much. In fact, I have to control myself not to eat the whole package of dulse, since it's loaded with iodine and it wouldn't be a good thing. But it's Yummmmmy! ( to me) smiling smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 02, 2013 12:43AM

Someone told me eating dulse was like eating tobacco. Its an acquired taste. But one you learn to love. Try starting out with untoasted nori.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 03, 2013 05:41AM

If you rinse it like Prana said it won't smell like it does now! in fact it won't really have much of a smell at all. Probably not a bad idea to do so anyhow just to clean it a bit, get all that fish @#$%& off there and what not, ahh just kidding lol.

Date: February 03, 2013 08:24PM

Prana, IMO that is more to determine whether a food is spoiled, right? Because many people are not introduced to a variety of foods as kids. Therefore they are almost phobic about trying foods that are different. My mom made a point of cooking various cuisines, as well as always giving us various fruits and veggies.

However, my dad is pushing 92 yet likes very little besides cheeseburgers. LOL

Date: February 03, 2013 08:25PM

Forgot to add that nori is a great way to get into the seaweed consumption business, as it's mild as sea veggies go.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 05, 2013 08:51PM

If there is any moisture in the dulse it will smell. I have small dulse shaker where I shake the flakes out like salt or pepper. Doesn't smell, and that's just as well. Consider arame as an alternative, a sea vegetable known for it's mild taste, still a good source of iodine.

Date: February 05, 2013 08:55PM

You guys are all helpful as usual.

Thanks!!

Still haven't tried it, but will soon.

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables