Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it possible for Thyroid to be restored after years of meds?
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:52PM

Is it possible for Thyroid to be restored after years of meds? I was on Synthroid for years and now Armour Thyroid for the past 8-10 yrs. My age might have some bearing on the answer. Not sure. I am 46 yrs old, 44 of them on SAD. I JUST went raw a few weeks ago, so have a looonnng way to go for healing.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible for Thyroid to be restored after years of meds?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 30, 2013 05:47PM

No clue. But I may add that the thyroid gland depends on selenium (brazil nuts), and I think manganese too (more common), and iodide (iodine negative ion). So I would try to get those covered.

basal temperature test:

monitor the temp of the arm pit with a calibrated thermometer (calibrated at 212F boiling water)

normal: 97.8F to 98.2F
hypothyroidism: less than 97.8F
hyperthyroidims: above 98.2F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:49PM by Panchito.

Date: January 30, 2013 07:55PM

Thank you Panchito! Haven't done the basal temp thing in a few yrs. Will try it again.

Mindy

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:49PM

There was a woman who used to post here who had Hashimoto's, and she was able to decrease her thyroid meds after being on the raw diet for a few years.

Here is what Herbert M. Shelton has to say about the hygienic care of thyroid inflammation, from The Hygienic System: Vol VII Orthopathy:

Acute Thyroiditis
Definition: Inflammation of the thyroid gland.
Symptoms: Swelling and pain in all or part of the gland are the chief symptoms. The whole gland, one lobe, or the isthmus may be inflamed. If the inflammation ends in suppuration the gland may be destroyed.
Complications: Exophthalmic goitre is said to sometimes follow.
Etiology: This affection is seen as a sequel of pneumonia, typhoid fever, scarlet fever, mumps, and rheumatic fever. Septic poisoning of the gland is the cause.
Care of the Patient: Fasting and rest are the prime needs. If suppuration occurs, this may require surgical drainage.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 30, 2013 10:58PM

Yes it is possible, but definately alot of detoxifying will be necessary. People will tell you about iodine and all these nutrients but truly, throat congestion is the number 1 cause of hypothyroid conditions.

Date: January 30, 2013 11:31PM

Prana - Not understanding what he is saying here:

"Etiology: This affection is seen as a sequel of pneumonia, typhoid fever, scarlet fever, mumps, and rheumatic fever. Septic poisoning of the gland is the cause."

Is he saying that IF you have Acute Thyroiditis, you will have had each and every one of the above??? Not sure what he's saying. If you understand, perhaps you can help me to better?

I had mumps as a child. Not sure what, if anything, that means.

Workout Man - What do you mean by throat congestion?

Mindy

Date: January 31, 2013 01:05AM

No. He is saying that if you had these diseases (pneumonia, typhoid fever,...), you might end up with an inflamed thyroid. But what cause the inflammation is toxicity in your body/blood that ends up in the thyroid gland.

Date: January 31, 2013 04:44PM

Mindy, I just meant that the lymph system in and surrounding the thyroid are congested with waste/acidity/mucus etc... This will supress celular function.

Date: January 31, 2013 06:28PM

Don't forget that the pitutary gland controls the thyroid gland. I would try Ginkgo extract in high concentration like 28%

Date: February 01, 2013 01:47AM

Ok, thanks Prana and WorkoutMan

Panchito, Isn't Ginko a stimulant or am I thinking of something else?

Mindy

Date: February 01, 2013 10:03AM

ginkgo biloba

[www.amazon.com]

google ginkgo biloba and pituitary. I think I read once that for it to be effective it needs at least 27%. The one on the link above is 28%. But check for interactions just in case. The pituitary gland is the Master gland.

here is another source with more info:

[www.lef.org]

"Ginkgo leaf extracts contain several active constituents with neuroprotective and cardioprotective properties. These include flavonoids (e.g., rutin, quercetin, kaempferol, and proanthocyanidins), terpenoids (i.e., ginkgolides), and organic acids. Flavonoids are known to strengthen capillaries, promote healthy blood flow to the brain, and help maintain cognitive health.18-21

In a study to determine whether ginkgo extract could prevent age-associated cellular changes, the brain and liver mitochondria of old mice fed ginkgo extract in their drinking water was compared to those of young and old control mice. Mitochondria from the mice given ginkgo exhibited significantly less genetic damage, peroxide generation, and oxidation of the crucial antioxidant glutathione than non-supplemented mice. In addition, mitochondria from old mice given the ginkgo extract resembled those of young mice much more closely, being similar in size and morphology. The study concluded that standardized ginkgo extract prevents age-related decline in mitochondrial structure and function by protecting mitochondria from oxidative damage.22

Flavonoids such as quercetin and kaempferol from Ginkgo biloba are potent antioxidants and scavengers of many species of free radical, protecting against oxidative cell damage.23 Ginkgo protects the energy-producing mitochondria in the cells, thus enhancing oxygen utilization and cellular respiration.14 Ginkgo may also inhibit production of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1beta and TNF-alpha while upregulating the production of an anti-inflammatory cytokine called IL-10.24

The premium-quality biochemical extract in Super Ginkgo Extract 28/7 has been concentrated and dual-standardized to ensure the highest quality, consistency and biological activity."

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 capsule

Servings Per Container 100
Amount Per Serving

Ginkgo biloba extract (leaf) [std. to 28% ginkgo flavone glycosides (33.6 mg), 7% terpene lactones (8.4 mg), and <1 ppm ginkgolic acid]

120 mg

Other ingredients: rice flour, gelatin, vegetable stearate.

Contains rice.
This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or corn. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.

good luck

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 10:11AM by Panchito.

Date: February 01, 2013 01:06PM

oops, I followed my own advice and google gingko and pitutary and I got a link to tumours.

[www.ehealthme.com]

I guess that could be a negative side effect. Gingko stimulates dopamine synthesis and dopamine is an stimulator of the pituitary gland. There is a post here on this forum of someone who ate gingko leaves and FELT good. The minimum is 24% (not 27% like I said). Other foods that 'may' stimulate dopamine are bananas and dates, but they 'may not' cross the blood brain barrier. The contraindications of gingko is for people that take aspirins, ibuprofen, etc. because gingko reduce clotting and if there is a wound it could increase bleeding. Also, the report about about tumours should be considered.

Date: February 01, 2013 01:44PM

It seems that not all Gingko stuff is the same. You have to watch out for 'ginkgolic acid' which has to be less than 5ppm (the one one the link above is less than 1ppm, good). The ginkgolic acid may be the bad part that causes trouble. So eating natural ginkgo leaves may not be a good idea in this particular case. It is better in supplement.

[www.smart-publications.com]

"It is extremely important to only use Ginkgo meeting the pharmaceutical standard of less than 5 ppm Ginkgolic acid. Ginkgo meeting this standard has been shown to be safe and effective throughout decades of international research.

Individuals who are on blood-thinning medications, however, are cautioned to consult with their health care practitioners before taking Ginkgo. "

Date: February 01, 2013 05:31PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget that the pitutary gland controls the
> thyroid gland. I would try Ginkgo extract in high
> concentration like 28%

Without doing more ivestigating, you dont really know if it is the thyroid or ptuitary or both. It would be unwise to assume.

Date: February 01, 2013 05:37PM

there are many ways to trouble shoot. Actually, to try things Is to investigate. If it were me, I would try things till I hit the dartboard

Date: February 01, 2013 09:37PM

Mindy, check this out: Re: hooray - good news - thyroid...... Read the entire thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 09:38PM by Prana.

Date: February 02, 2013 12:57PM

good find Prana.

I've also read that the thyroid gland is linked to a part of the gut from when the embryo development (parts where one at one time). See also this interesting linky which probably affect the thyroid as it affects the pituitary. Things are connected in many ways and forms.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA or HTPA axis), also known as the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (LHPA axis) and, occasionally, as the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal-gonadotropic axis, is a complex set of direct influences and feedback interactions among the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland (a pea-shaped structure located below the hypothalamus), and the adrenal (also called "suprarenal"winking smiley glands (small, conical organs on top of the kidneys).

The interactions among these organs constitute the HPA axis, a major part of the neuroendocrine system that controls reactions to stress and regulates many body processes, including digestion, the immune system, mood and emotions, sexuality and energy storage and expenditure"

Date: February 02, 2013 03:57PM

Panchito- Dr. Morse taught us ( a la Dr Jensen's iridology) all parts of the body can be linked neurologicaly to the part of the GI tract that they form out of when the embryo develops. Pituitary is linked to the transverse colon and thyroid to part of the small intestine. When toxicity is stored in these gut tissues it can effect the coresponding related tissues. Or so their theory goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 03:57PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 03, 2013 11:42PM

Unless you have had your thyroid surgically removed, destroyed with radiation, or utterly destroyed by your immune system (severe Hashimoto's over a long period of time), it can be restored to complete function. Taking the medication suppresses the thyroid gland but you never become dependent on it, you just have to wean yourself off slowly after you've regained your health so that the thyroid has time to start doing it's job again. You don't want to shock your system.

The four causes of all disease are

1. Toxins in the body
2. Nutritional deficiencies
3. Electromagnetic Radiation
4. Stress

Remove all four, and your body will completely heal from nearly any disease possible, with the exception of certain genetic deformities. And I speak from personal experience and the improvements I've seen from people with all kinds of "incurable" diseases who followed a program that fixed those four issues. Every single one of them recovered to vibrant health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables