Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Disposing of Pulp and Scraps
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:50AM

I'm in the process of buying another house. This one has a Garbage Disposal. I can't compost where I'm moving, so my question is...has anyone here used a Garbage Disposal for juicer's Pulp, and Fruit and Veggie scraps, and Melon Rinds?
I have been just putting it all in the Garbage, but the bags get quite heavy at times...especially when I go on a Melon Kick......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disposing of Pulp and Scraps
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 01, 2013 03:08PM

WY,

A high volume of insoluble fiber matter will cause probelms for a commercial(rather than industrial, as restaurants have) garbage disposal. Also, many communities near waterways discourage or outlaw garbage disposal use because it has been found--depending on where the water empties into--to cause algae blooms, or other problems in wastewater treatment plants.

Is there no garden center or municipal refuse and recycling center that you could call to discuss options? I admit to not having any idea how I would dispose of even minute amounts of vegetal refuse; now that I know how easy it is to compost and how useful composting is, I would balk at just throwing fruit and veggie scraps away sad smiley

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:18PM

We have an organic store nearby with excellent recycling program, including compost. I bring everything there. Maybe there's something like that in your area? Composting is just so good for the environment, considering that there's a shortage of good quality dirt.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: February 01, 2013 05:33PM

Thank you both for your good advice. I've decided to look into Home Composting....nothing else down the drain, or into the trash.
This might be one way to go......WY

[www.naturemill.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 01, 2013 06:05PM

Here's what I do with my compost:

I put my scraps into a 5 gallon bucket with lid. After I've accumulated an inch or two of compost, I will put some syntropic antioxidant microbes mixed with molasses and water (1 part SAM, 1 part molasses, and 10 parts water) onto the newly added compost and then cover. When the bucket is totally full, I will add more of the microbes, cover, and allow to ferment for 2 weeks. Then I take the compose and bury in the earth for at least 2 weeks in the summer (longer in the colder seasons), and then I have compost I can use in the garden. If you do this, you might notice a proliferation of earthworms, which is good for your plants and soil. The microbes keep the compost from smelling, even in the hot summer. The microbe/molasses/water mix will only last for 3 days, so when I mix this up, I make only enough for 3 days use, which is 1 tbsp microbes, 1 tbsp molasses, and 10 tbsp water. I use SCD BioAg for this, which costs about $23 a gallon.

This technique is very similar to the bokashi composting method, except you don't have to keep buying the bokashi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables