Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lean protein on raw
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 05, 2006 03:56AM

what is considered lean protein on raw foods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lean protein on raw
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 05, 2006 05:53AM

Seaweeds? Like Laver or spirulina.

Ian.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: November 05, 2006 10:00AM

Sprouts are mostly protein I think.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 05, 2006 08:35PM

The problem with most high protein low fat raw plant foods is that you can't eat them in great quantities. They are either too bitter, too full of antinutrients (sprouts), iodine and salt (sea vegetables) and must be eaten only sparingly or as condiments.

The only things I can see that you can eat a lot of without GI distress are the mild watery nonstarchy vegetables or fruits such as lettuces, summer squashes, cucumbers. If you were really serious about getting a lot of protein, you could dehydrate 2 heads of romaine lettuce (18 g protein), a kg of summer squash (14 g of protein), and 4 large cucumbers (8 g protein). That would give you a base of about 40 g. Fully dehydrating would reduce volume to 1/5 of the original volume. It would be very expensive unless you grew your own.

You could supplement this protein base with sparing amounts of sea vegetables, sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, cruciferous vegetables, and spinach to round out your lowfat protein sources.

Also each piece of sweet fruit you eat will have 1-2 g of protein. Your nuts/seeds can also make a considerable contribution.

The "raw" protein powders processed at low temps such as rice and hemp are not really raw. Processors use enzymes to separate the protein from the carbohydrate and fat fractions of the whole foods. This ends up denaturing the proteins even at low temps.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 06, 2006 12:54AM

You could also try making nut milks for added protein. Green veggies, nuts and seeds are good sources.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 07, 2006 03:22AM

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: November 07, 2006 05:33AM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could also try making nut milks for added
> protein. Green veggies, nuts and seeds are good
> sources.
>
> Love,
> Prism

Jen Rose has a delicious looking nut milk recipe called "Nutter Nanner Smoothie" on the recipe forum. If I don't go out of town this weekend, I'm going to try it myself. I'll bump it up to the top since it's on page 3 right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables