Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

MISO
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:45PM

Have noticed that some of you use Miso. Isn't it made from Soybeans? and if so, aren't Soybeans bad for us?

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MISO
Date: February 09, 2013 08:43PM

Anyone?? smiling smiley

Mindy

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 12:14AM

Well, Mindy,

Soy is controversial. Some people use it and some don't. Some say the fermented form is okay, especially in Miso and Tamari or Soy Sauce. Soy in any form is a phytoestrogen or pseudo-estrogen.

For me, and I'm from South Korea, since changing my eating over to modified raw vegan, I noticed that I cannot eat soy. It really plays havoc with my hormones. I used to eat soy all the time before raw veganism. I grew up with it South Korea, and I loved Chinese food.

After the first fews of years of modified raw veganism, I could tell my menstruation was affected by it. That's how I came to discover it wasn't good for me. It will be up to you whether or not to test it to see if it negatively affects you.

I have eliminated it from my diet but sadly it's in my shampoo so I cannot completely eliminate it. Good luck. Therese

Date: February 10, 2013 01:52AM

Hi Therese,

Yes, I have read some similar things. I certainly don't need anything messing with my already wacky hormones.

Have you discovered any healthy products that are similar in taste to soy or tamari??

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Mindy

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 02:02AM

Hi Mindy, I use sea salt for saltiness. Some people use Bragg's Liquid Aminos. I don't.

Also, it depends on what you are trying to make. Sometimes, I use freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice for a salty-vinegary taste. Experimenting is part of the raw experience.

Good luck! Therese

Date: February 11, 2013 04:08AM

I like Bragg's ok, but don't love it. I will miss the soy sauce taste. It definitely gives that "Asian" taste that I love so much. Will just have to learn to live with out it.

There is a Japanese salad dressing that my hubby and I both love and I've made it homemade even (turned out great!), however it calls for soy sauce which is a definitely part of the flavor profile.

As you said, I will just keep having to try things out.

Are you 100% Raw or partially? How long for?

Thanks!

Mindy

Posted by: searcher ()
Date: February 11, 2013 04:13AM

Why are soybeans bad for us? Appreciate your advice on this matter.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 11, 2013 04:27AM

Not all miso is made from soy. I've seen miso made from other legumes and sometimes grains.

Date: February 11, 2013 03:38PM

Ah, good to know UL. Had no idea. Will have to see if my Co op Co. has some made from something other than soy.

Thanks!

Mindy

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: February 12, 2013 04:34AM

soy is weird, yes, and I don't eat it at all.....but also i don't eat any miso because it is not truly raw to me. Yes, it has been probiotically brought back to life, but the initial substance being eaten was cooked.....god knows what stuff we will know in 100 or 1000 years.
so someday I am going to brew up some totally raw miso, but as of today no such thing exists.

Just so you guys know though, coconut secret brand makes a coconut based amino sauce much like braggs or soy sauce, but unique in its own awesome way. check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables